PDA

View Full Version : Trackmaster Past Performances

Charlie
04-27-2012, 07:57 PM
When printing Trackmaster PPs, a video replay symbol appears aside of the race dates of each entrant. While printing, these vr symbols print out as black boxes, (~ 48 boxes per page) and cause me to use quite a bit of extra ink. I contacted Trackmaster and accomplished nothing. Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone know a way around this? As much as I like Trackmaster, I may consider switching to the DRF. Ink cartridges are not cheap. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

ldiatone
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
i'm suprised TM did't do anything. one might have to live w/ this. i don't know if one can disable the symbol. i get blue ones.

Charlie
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Customer service had told me they would speak with their technical support department and get back to me. That was over 3 months ago. This video replay symbol for me is useless and is just a waste of ink.

RaceTrackDaddy
04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I used to use an ink jet printer and went through about two black high volume cartridges and one color per month (Lexmark).. Got so expensive that I found it cheaper to go out and spend like $150 for a Brother MFC-7360N laser printer.

They gave me a two year supply of $10 off coupons on the black toner cartridge but found out that generic toner works as well as the manufacturer's original toner. Instead of paying like $59 with the coupon, I end up paying like $28 or $29 per cartridge...but get this, I use one of these at less than $30 and get about 2 and a half months worth of printing.

Why spend more. You still can use your inkjet for other purposes but for anything to do with race pp's, this is the way to go. Plus it is super fast printing and the quailty is unmatched when you compare the inkjet printed page.

Go on line and search for a laser printer in your price range and track the prices for a short period as they have sales monthly for all brands. If you find the one you like to have, then wait for the sale and jump on board.

If you desire, you have a splitter cable that can connect two printers to the same computer (hard wire). All you need do is to when priniting to select which printer to send it to. I would make the cheaper printer (laser) the defaut one and the color printer for the finer color print jobs you have.

rtd

Sea Biscuit
04-28-2012, 07:37 AM
I used to use an ink jet printer and went through about two black high volume cartridges and one color per month (Lexmark).. Got so expensive that I found it cheaper to go out and spend like $150 for a Brother MFC-7360N laser printer.

They gave me a two year supply of $10 off coupons on the black toner cartridge but found out that generic toner works as well as the manufacturer's original toner. Instead of paying like $59 with the coupon, I end up paying like $28 or $29 per cartridge...but get this, I use one of these at less than $30 and get about 2 and a half months worth of printing.

Why spend more. You still can use your inkjet for other purposes but for anything to do with race pp's, this is the way to go. Plus it is super fast printing and the quailty is unmatched when you compare the inkjet printed page.

Go on line and search for a laser printer in your price range and track the prices for a short period as they have sales monthly for all brands. If you find the one you like to have, then wait for the sale and jump on board.

If you desire, you have a splitter cable that can connect two printers to the same computer (hard wire). All you need do is to when priniting to select which printer to send it to. I would make the cheaper printer (laser) the defaut one and the color printer for the finer color print jobs you have.

rtd

I thought ink jet printers had gone the way of typewriters when the laser printer was introduced.

There is no comparison between the two. I would never ever use an ink jet printer to print my programs.

RaceTrackDaddy
04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
I thought ink jet printers had gone the way of typewriters when the laser printer was introduced.

There is no comparison between the two. I would never ever use an ink jet printer to print my programs.

Sea Buscuit:
I took the other approach when I had a basic all-in-one inkjet. I went to one of those online ink sales sites, bought the black ink in bulk (a litre's worth for like $50) and stocked up on 20ml color (3) and just drilled holes in the cartridges and refilled them. It was messy but cost effective.

When I updated to a better all-in-one Lexmark 8350 I think was the model, the company put in sensors to detect the number of the cartridge and after a few refills, it would no longer permit that one from being used and give out an error message. I even changed the codebar that was on that to another old one I had stored away but to no avail.

I am so glad I got fed up with that all-in-one and moved up in class. My bank account is better off, my hands are no void of any ink and I have quality printing that doesn't run when it gets wet. Life it good.

vegasone
04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Ink jet printers(cheap ones) came out a bit later than laser printers. You are thinking of the ones that used ribbons.

Canarsie
04-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Choosing a printer is ones personal preference but obviously many of you haven't heard of a continuous ink supply. This seller (not me) from ebay has nice pics and a description about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-OEM-CISS-CIS-Ink-for-Epson-CX5000-CX-6000-CX8400-NX400-NX415-Workforce-500-/190670925567?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item2c64df6eff#ht_2024wt_1185

I never had a problem with an inkjet or laser printer for past performances. In fact I default to the ink jet because its MUCH cheaper and I don't keep the print copy. If you were planning on filing them away that would be a completely different story.

David Siegel
05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
All:

This is the first time I recall posting to this forum, but in the interest of feedback, I thought it made sense to do so. We fully recognize the issue that has been brought up in this thread. The issue is/was clearly browser-version specific, and in some browsers, a "setting" exists to turn link boxes on or off. We explored the issue and discovered that a later version of our PDF-generating software resulted in the issue becoming far less frequent. For example, my PDF reader is "Nitro". With Nitro, I always saw these link boxes. After we upgraded all of our PDF-makers to a later version of our PDF-generating software, the Nitro problem went away. This upgrade occurred last week some time. So for most of you, the problem should not exist. That said, in experimenting with the new iPPs by Equibase iPad all, there is a setting in a reader called "Good Reader" where the user controls whether or not these boxes show up. Our research thus far has not resulted in a way that we could always override such a setting.

So, in sum, for most users, the problem should be gone. For some, there still could be a setting. We would love your input if you still see an issue. To help us solve this given the myriad of hardware and PDF-readers out there, please email us THE SPECIFICS (e.g. hardware, reader, reader version, and file of ours you are reading) to info@trackmaster.com and we will see if we can figure out any pattern of remaining issues.

David Siegel
President, TrackMaster
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/buttons/green/quote.gif (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1280408)

Delta Cone
05-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I second your thoughts on the laser printer. Got a Brother HL-2240 for less than $100 and the toner cartridges are much cheaper than ink. Print quality is excellent as well.

So glad I made the switch to the laser printer. :)

LottaKash
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM
I second your thoughts on the laser printer. Got a Brother HL-2240 for less than $100 and the toner cartridges are much cheaper than ink. Print quality is excellent as well.

So glad I made the switch to the laser printer. :)

Why print them at all..?....I think that it is a fair question...I used to have boxes and boxes of saved programs....You know, I never looked at them, or at least, hardly ever, and I threw them all out....

So, for me unless you are going to a remote area as out to the track, or you have some time away from your desk, I can't see why anyone would want to print the form, when you can do all you markups electronically with a good PDF program such as Foxit.....I look at my past bets and such very often, now that I don't have to godigging into a big box to try and find them....Wish I had all the kash from the Ink & Paper that I used to go thru....haha...

best,

best,

RaceTrackDaddy
05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Why print them at all..?....I think that it is a fair question...I used to have boxes and boxes of saved programs....You know, I never looked at them, or at least, hardly ever, and I threw them all out....

So, for me unless you are going to a remote area as out to the track, or you have some time away from your desk, I can't see why anyone would want to print the form, when you can do all you markups electronically with a good PDF program such as Foxit.....I look at my past bets and such very often, now that I don't have to godigging into a big box to try and find them....Wish I had all the kash from the Ink & Paper that I used to go thru....haha...

best,

best,
I agree and I print out the pp's for my mother who uses the phone to bet..personally I use the computer montior unless like you say I will be meeting up with friends at the track...then I will print up a couple of the tracks that I am familar with that are racing at that time....

rtd

wilderness
06-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds like my problem that tamaharbor helped me with in reply 14

by entries I meant my selections

Ray,
Their f'd up, I've been in that contest every year since its inception.
Trackmaster sent a join reminder, I logged in with my Trackmaster ID that I've been using since the conversion from USTA Programs to Trackmaster Programs in 1998 and now it don't take?

It's bad enough their PP's still require me to use a specific PDF tool.