Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Movies Released between 1960-1999, vote for four (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167285)

Redboard 10-19-2021 10:29 AM

Movies Released between 1960-1999, vote for four

Vote for the following movies you like the most. You can vote for up to four movies.

These movies were nominated in the nomination thread. I added in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to make it an even 15, which is the max for a poll.

As I mentioned, these are non-comedy, non-sports movies.

When the poll is over, I will announce the three winners.

biggestal99 10-19-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2760923)
Vote for the following movies you like the most. You can vote for up to four movies.

These movies were nominated in the nomination thread. I added in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to make it an even 15, which is the max for a poll.

As I mentioned, these are non-comedy, non-sports movies.

When the poll is over, I will announce the three winners.

I voted but I feel schlinders list should have made the top 15.

Allan

thaskalos 10-19-2021 02:26 PM

In the "Best TV Shows" thread you had us giving 4 selections...but in the "Best Movies" you had us giving only 2 selections. So...your final nomination list is woefully incomplete. There are so many great movies still out there.

Greyfox 10-19-2021 04:28 PM

The Sound of Music ?????

Redboard 10-20-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2760966)
In the "Best TV Shows" thread you had us giving 4 selections...but in the "Best Movies" you had us giving only 2 selections. So...your final nomination list is woefully incomplete. There are so many great movies still out there.

Thask,

No, I had the same rules for both: two nominations and four votes so everyone isn't just voting for their nominations.

When you look at the 15 we came up with, you have to remember the limitations of the list. No sports including horse racing and no comedies. If it were a wide open list, it would look completely different and we all know who would have won, for the most part. I wanted to make this different.
We have already done best horse racing movies here several times.

Redboard 10-20-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2760983)
The Sound of Music ?????

I had thought of that, and also My Fair Lady, but I didn't think that would have had much chance of winning here. I thought Butch Cassidy would do better.

Redboard 10-20-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2760930)
I voted but I feel schlinders list should have made the top 15.

Allan

A great movie, but I think they went overboard with the gore, especially during the middle part of the movie.

You may say " that's the way it was" but I'm watching a movie here not a documentary , I watch movies to be entertained.

FakeNameChanged 10-20-2021 07:16 PM

For me it's The Godfather and then any other ones you like.

I included From Russia with Love, since it was my first Bond film after having owned and read all of Fleming's books. As teenagers, my buddies and I were kind of obsessed with 007. I realize it's not a film masterpiece.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a family joke in our house, since it's my favorite Western, and without trying to, I've memorized all the lines.

I threw Jaws in there, just because it set the tone for all beachgoers that summer. And it also has the great Robert Shaw who was also the Russian Villain in From Russia with Love.

Redboard 10-21-2021 10:07 AM

I'm glad that somebody nominated a Bond film. A recognition they so richly deserve. My favorite is Thunderball, and I have watched them all, although I don't think any could be called "great," just some are very good.

Was just talking to some friends and we agreed to see the next one on the big screen.

statepierback 10-22-2021 04:52 PM

I hit the trifecta. ALMOST

46zilzal 10-22-2021 07:06 PM

To Kill A Mockingbird HAS to be on this list, has to

proximity 10-22-2021 07:30 PM

i'm surprised that eyes wide shut didn't make the list on this forum?

a precocious younger donald trump at 0:47, sampling, but ultimately rejecting the ways of mr soros??:eek:

Greyfox 10-22-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46zilzal (Post 2761485)
To Kill A Mockingbird HAS to be on this list, has to

Good call. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal 10-22-2021 07:54 PM

I have seen some good ones and at GREAT theaters since I grew up close to Hollywood and even got to attend a premiere of a Charlie Chaplin film with Marlon Brando, Sophia Loren and Tippi Hedren at the old Pantages. Those were great old venues like the Chinese, the Egyptian and the Cathay Circle.

In all those times (Other than in Hollywood where the crowd will clap when the director's name comes up on the credits) I witnessed the crowd applaud only after three movies: Rocky, The Natural and my dad who stated a wave of applaud after we saw the great one man show put on film with James Whitmore: Give 'Em Hell Harry. I was really surprised because right after he started to applaud, 6 or more other people joined in with him.....I looked around and most were his age, WWII vets.

Movies are the best entertainment out there but they have lost a lot: particularly good plot, characterizations (you WANTED to see Rocky do well) and I rarely get involved in a character any longer, or surprise.

I learned a lot from my late wife, who, with her sister studied how the director would lead the audience as to who was a MAJOR plot character when they were shown in scenes they really should not have been. IF we watched a tape, she would yell out STOP, scribble on a piece of paper what would eventually happen and damned if she was right often.

or example in The Hunt For Red October, she wrote down: "why is the director showing us the lowly cook on the submarine? He turned out to the a saboteur who messed up the drive we found out later

Redboard 10-26-2021 09:03 AM

Nice rant 46.
:ThmbUp: