Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Steve Asmussen accused of animal cruelty by PETA (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111899)

horses4courses 03-19-2014 10:26 PM

Steve Asmussen accused of animal cruelty by PETA

Oh boy....batten down the hatches on this one.
Seems Joe Drape broke the story today.
Can't be good for the sport, and I certainly hope it's unfounded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/sp...mentsContainer

Joe Drape ‏@joedrape 37m
PETA Accuses Asmussen of Cruelty to Horses; 10 complaints to state & feds video among documentation http://nyti.ms/1l5kh3y

Warren Eves ‏@warrenthebull 11m
PETA'S 285-pg report claiming mistreatment of horses supported by 7+ hours of video taken with hidden camera filed with feds in Ky & NY Tues

thaskalos 03-19-2014 10:39 PM

If these things are going on at Asmussen's barn...imagine what goes on at the barns of the little guys who are trying to eke out a living in this game.

andtheyreoff 03-19-2014 10:41 PM

The beginning of the end of thoroughbred racing, IMO. Not being sarcastic.

NTamm1215 03-19-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
The beginning of the end of thoroughbred racing, IMO. Not being sarcastic.

An organization that kills 80% of the animals in its care on a yearly basis is not going to take the game down.

horses4courses 03-19-2014 10:43 PM

Consider the source

It comes down to what evidence they have.
PETA has blown smoke plenty of times before.

thaskalos 03-19-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horses4courses
It comes down to what evidence they have.
PETA has blown smoke plenty of times before.

My money says they got evidence.

After all...the guy worked for Asmussen for 4 months.

duncan04 03-19-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTamm1215
An organization that kills 80% of the animals in its care on a yearly basis is not going to take the game down.

Have to agree. Pot calling the kettle black

Stillriledup 03-19-2014 10:51 PM

I think its incredibly 'Ethical' to pose as a plant in order to get "evidence". :rolleyes:

JimG 03-19-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTamm1215

I am sure the greyhound people thought the same thing over the last 20 years.

thaskalos 03-19-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I think its incredibly 'Ethical' to pose as a plant in order to get "evidence". :rolleyes:

Well...how else are you supposed to get to the bottom of things?

Stillriledup 03-19-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos
Well...how else are you supposed to get to the bottom of things?

You can get to the bottom of things anyway you want, i guess it just matters how badly you need to get to the bottom of things.

Fager Fan 03-19-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

You can get to the bottom of things anyway you want, i guess it just matters how badly you need to get to the bottom of things.

If that's what it takes to get the bad guy, kudos to the undercover. Handicappers of all people should applaud anything that gets the cheats and abusers exposed.

horses4courses 03-19-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

If horses have been mistreated, those guilty should pay the price.
Going undercover may have been necessary.

PETA should be held accountable, too, if this turns out to be a crock.

thaskalos 03-19-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

IMO...there is nothing wrong with placing a man "undercover" to uncover illegal activity. It has been done to unearth other crimes...and it is quite acceptable in this case too. This isn't just about the horses...it is also about the jockeys on their backs. The practice of putting a human being in grave danger in the pursuit of profit is unconscionable, IMO...and needs to be terminated. Injured horses need to be RESTED, and not raced...and those gentlemen who don't realize this, or can't afford this "luxury", do not belong in this game.

olddaddy 03-19-2014 11:40 PM

Im glad they went after a high profile trainer rather than a nickle and dimer. Not only does this crap affect the horses and jockeys but the ones that keep this sport alive, us. Im all for whatever this group can uncover, it sure cant make this sport any worse than it is already.