Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #10
deelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
In a previous wordspittin post, I raised ridiculous ideas you could come up with if it was a hail-mary to trigger a rebirth in Racing as a sport or it died.

Like if racing was either dead this year, or it lived and thrived another 100 years. no idea to much.

I suggested cloning, dna and gene splitting, artificial limbs, and other ideas.

Isn't the consensus that bleeding is a recessive gene?

Pretty sure, with all the advancements we know that its a genetic mutation.

And we can likely edit the gene out. Hail Mary, Jesus and Joseph.
The American Vet College of IM put out recommendations in 2014 i think it was that IEPH (or bleeding) is classified as a disease and that racehorses cannot just develop it due to strenuous exercise.

In my mind, this would stand to reason that a 2020 ban of 2 yr olds already born is rushed and short-sighted, especially since there's no correlation in Lasix with breakdowns.

If you really wanted to phase it out, their recommendations seem to point at starting with the breeding pool. Classify pedigree lines according to bleeding stage of offspring and begin to improve the pool.

Phase out Lasix over the course of a generation gradually. Give tracks the power to offer Lasix ON and OFF races during the transition until eventually ON races are no longer offered.

In the meantime, stop running distractions by blaming Lasix when we all know the track surface is directly related to breakdown rate.

Also, I have no training or breeding credits to my name so this is all just a casual bettor bouncing ideas around based off research so I'm okay taking criticism.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.