Thread: 5/30 race 5 CD
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
ML 8-1 Sekondi C. Lanerie 124 Lbs M. Morrison $30,000 L
Divine Park - Soundwave | Friends Lake
Comes out of the same last race as On Patrol and Love Your Buttons finishing 5th-top 5 horses w/in 1 1/4 lengths of each other. Comments state bold bid hung. Couldn't close into slow fractions? Using
I looked at the race and really wanted to find a reason to play this guy. The connections are interesting; it seems like a guy's only horse and over the years, his (presumably) one or two or three horse operation has done pretty well.

What drew me to the horse and the move here is that it plays as the old third off the layoff angle. But, this is really just a picture-perfect example of what makes third off the layoff a good move outside the parameters of mere fitness. I'm going to figure that they thought they had him pretty tight for the most recent. But, when he made a big move and then just flattened out, they decided to come back and make sure they had him tightened down with a pair of works and a crack in this $30k N3L. And that's what often makes the third off layoff move so effective. The first time you know you probably need one. The second time you expect something. So when it doesn't work, you get cracking. Train harder, train differently, drop in class, equipment - you aren't about to be disappointed three times in a row because there are no more excuses.

So I love a lot of what is going on an want to key him, but... he just does not want to win from what I can see. He didn't win a maiden race, it was awarded to him. And he came right back when he was ultra sharp off that "win" and took down the non-two by a nostril - he didn't exactly demonstrate a newly found desire to run away from horses and run up the score.

Ultimately, as much as I am intrigued by the connections and their moves here, they still haven't gotten a win out of him and I really don't think it is their fault exactly. I'm not sure he has any sort of nose for victory. I can't remember very many times where I thought I liked a horse enough to use, but couldn't key on top if I did. This might be one of them.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.