Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #13
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I have a friend who managed the parlor in Piittsford, then Marway Circle in Rochester.. Used to go there every Saturday. No TV, just entry cards on te wall. The crowd would stand facing the cards like something was happening! Me and my buddy would face them, and some got really pissed off!

Good ols Inner dirt track, King Swan, Trumpeter Sawn, something like that.
Good stuff Tom, you mentioned Marway, do you remember the buffalo rd branch before Marway existed? It was like an office building on the right-side of the road if you were heading west and then downstairs was the OTB, my stepdad managed that branch when it opened. I want to say the branch when it first opened had a statue of a horse out front, and on opening day of the branch a bunch of bigwigs from wrotb showed up for it. Everyone stood out front for a picture and I was perched up on top of this horse statue. At that time I still had hopes of not growing too tall so I could be a jockey. I was taking riding lessons every week.

My stepdad passed earlier this year btw. There's a decent chance he may have known your friend. Wasn't there a younger guy managing Marway in the 80s, seemed like one of the younger managers at the time. One of the managers may have been named Pete, I think my stepdad worked with him for a while. For some reason that name comes to mind.

Anyway the next time I go to my mom's I'll ask her if she still has that picture of the Buffalo Rd branch, maybe I can post it out here for a laugh. I actually liked the location because of the Dunkin that was down the road, in those days Dunkin served a good bowl of soup, this was maybe around '79? Things sure have changed bigtime, even for Dunkin.

So that Buffalo Rd branch closed down eventually and Marway was built. Marway was a large branch. I went to Marway one day with my cousin, I remember we lost our shirts that day and I was driving him back home, more 'fun' was in store, we were in my 79 LeMans and I rear-ended a car that made a sudden stop on Buffalo rd heading eastbound, completely totaled the Lemans, fortunately no injuries for anyone involved. We then walked on foot all the way from Buffalo road to my cousins house on Augustine St. What a day. Knock on wood 35 years later and I haven't been in any car accidents since then.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-16-2022 at 06:30 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.