Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: drop in Handle
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 10:42 PM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout View Post
...Since he has waited 6 years to make his first post, I am suggesting that we cut the gentleman some slack.
I agree though of course on THE WEB the gloves come off early and often.

More mysteries tonight. Not sure why mr chicken took a while to make his first post, but I do realize some people like to type and others don't - regardless of the state of their carriage return.

I'm in agreement with chicken's experience. In the 80s and 90s, I used to typically toss several hundred thousand through the tote every year, and when ADWs came out I was a VIP member at Winticket/Twinspires at first, though I can't say as I've heard from them now for over a decade. But I was a bigger fish up until about 2005 or so, if you will, like a walleye or bullhead.

Now I too am a minnow, though I don't consider the changes in minimum bets or the types of wagers to be the biggest reason for my personal decline in handle. It has much more to do with competition from "computer" guys/groups, and the much more difficult task of finding overlays. There's many races where I find no value, as I can't compete with their edge in "true odds" calculations nor can I compete with their edge in rebates.

This year I've retired and will be living on a lower, fixed income. I suspect twelve months from now, based on current trends, I'll be more accurately described as "plankton" versus a minnow.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.