Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 01:44 AM   #11
Inner Dirt

I just spent a good amount of time looking for details on $640 toilet seats and $450 hammers. I just found stories lacking any details, a source passing on something they heard. I am sure it happens, and the reasons vary of which none were listed. If someone has a story with decent details of something like $640 toilet seats, post a link.

Back to the $90,000 bag of bushings, the way congressman Waltz spews misinformation while talking out his ass, when Trump wins he should make him Press Secretary.

I need to see the whole video, this looks like Daily Mail quoting Congressman Waltz:

This, Mr. Secretary, is a bag of bushings,' he began. 'This bag of bushings, stamped out by machines, don't need a high school diploma, nothing high tech about this, all of this bag is compliant with the FAA specifications. 'How much do you think the Air Force pays for this bag of bushings?'
Kendall responded that he 'didn't know', leading Waltz to quickly clarify: '$90,000.'

Bushings are essential components of engines, and the small rotating parts are typically placed between joint mounts for vibration absorption, rotation support and thermal resistance.

Branding the cost 'exorbitant', Waltz noted that the Department of Defense sources all commercial parts directly from original equipment manufacturers, meaning they should be cheaper than off-the-shelf items.

However, while everyday Americans can expect to pay roughly $100 for the bag of bushings, Waltz questioned why the taxpayers were footing the bill for the huge markup.

F**k this stupid piece of shit, he needs to STFU, he is running his mouth
about something he has zero knowledge of. WTF is wrong with politicians these days?

Titanium bushings, titanium being a very common modern jet engine material are not stamped or manufactured by any forming methods they are made on turning machines called lathes of which I own 4. Turning requires a much smaller investment in tooling and fixture, time to make your first part and can make more detail feature with better accuracy.
With a CNC Lathe (Computer Numerical Control) I could make what I am guessing what is in that bag with a set of tools costing $100 or less,
an hour to write a computer code program, just using MS Notepad cutting and pasting, then 1-2 hours to get the job running. So $100 and 3 hours skilled labor I am starting to fill that bag.

Ok let us stamp them like Mike "the dumbass" Waltz says they are made. First no such thing as ordering $100 of tooling from a McMaster Carr, Graingers or MSC. Stuff I stock in bulk as the computer control can turn thousands of different configurations from the same common tools. The poor stamping machine cannot do that, it needs a custom designed set of tools for parts that are so similar with a naked eye you cannot tell them apart. Those sets of carbide dies cost thousands
and you would be lucky to get one made in a week. Also once you get the dies it takes about a week to set-up a forming machine, not a couple hours.

The only advantage the stamping machine has on mine is if a part is a good fit it can spit them out faster, but if I have a 1-2 week head start
and $5,000 extra in my wallet it is going to take the stamping machine a good while to catch up. When I worked for an military/aerospace connector manufacture, minimum order for the stamping/forming machines was 50,000 pieces.

Don't need a High School diploma and nothing is high tech? Even if he is
talking about a stamping machine, the guys that set-up and run those machines, and the tooling support guys are highly skilled and are at top pay at the plants they work in. To just set-up and operate the CNC Lathe is easier, I bet I could give that piece of shit Waltz the stack of operator manuals and he probably could not turn it on, home it in and warm it up if I gave him a week to figure it out on it's own.

Last but not least:

Waltz noted that the Department of Defense sources all commercial parts directly from original equipment manufacturers, meaning they should be cheaper than off-the-shelf items.

Off the shop items which means they can have multiple applications
ALWAYS cost more from the OEM, MR STUPID F**K CONGRESSMEN.
Go buy a ribbed encoder belt from McMaster Carr, the OEM Star Micronics charges $150, MCM $15.00. Power supply similar to the standard PC ones just higher voltages but same physical and wire size. At Star Micronics they are $600, Newegg or the like $60 gets two.

I am thinking of writing his office a very unflattering e-mail letting him know how stupid he is and ask him to provide the cage code of the manufacturer of those bushings or the solicitation number they were manufactured under. That information is available to any person with a cage code which I have. I would need to have the fiber optic to reset passwords or I could asses the info from the local library. I can look up the order to verify the cost, even if someone just marked up an "off the shelf" item.

Maybe I should look up his next opponent and provide them with info to crap on his ass. A Republican just made my hate list.

One more, metal bushings DO NOT absorb vibration, nor are they thermal resistant.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 04-19-2024 at 01:52 AM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)