Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Imagine a theoretical track "A" where the median purse is 50K and it costs you an average of 30K a year for training expenses and another where the median purse is 55K but it costs you an average of 45K a year for training expenses. If I was an owner I'd send my horse to track "A". In a scenario like that, track "A" might be the classier track even though the purses are a little lower.

There's probably a pretty good relationship between purse sizes and how much trainers charge, but I don't think it's perfect. I'd like to look at that data, but I can't find good data on how much trainers charge on each circuit or at each track.
I must disagree with your assessment.

Owners like to be at the track when their horses race - and especially when they win.

True, that owners of expensive horses have the luxury of making those decisions. After all, if you own a $100,000 horse you probably can fly to wherever your horse races.

But life is different for owners of lower grade horses (which make up the majority of races).

Lower grade Claiming owners stable near where they live and simply pay the local charges. Or, they stop owning horses.

Having never owned a race horse, I could certainly be wrong. Would you own a $6k claimer and stable it (say) 1,500 miles away because the day rate was less?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)