Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #84
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
OK, here you go...
I do agree with you that my solutions are not necessarily solutions. That was a poor word choice on my part. I should have called them "suggestions". My suggestions might lead to solutions, but if they are not tried then they won't. They won't get tried because there is a systemic problem in racing and the powers that be are too afraid to take risks to fix the problems that have led to the decline of racing. Fear of failure will prevent action from being taken that could reverse the decline.

Too, your negative attitude prevents you from being an evangelist for change. What I hear from you is the use of a lot of negatives.

You wrote:

you can't simply eliminate Winter racing,

You can't eliminate dirt racing altogether

You can't simply "start" a division... you can't make that happen out of thin air.

Eliminating all race day medication ... is not a "solution"

If you and the powers that be believe those things can't be done, then guess what... you're right.

I am not a bigot. I am just stating a fact. You're in the group called "oldsters", and old people are not as likely to be revolutionary thinkers as youngsters. Oldsters are just hoping they can survive in their jobs long enough to make it to retirement.

Youth has the benefit of time and can afford to take risks and rock the boat. Einstein was something like 24 when he came up with Relativity. The Beatles wrote their greatest songs when they were 20-30 years old. Travis Kalanick created UBER when he was young. Steve Jobs. Bill Gates. Zuckerberg. Mozart. The list goes on.

As I have said before, when I came up with the idea of a betting exchange back in 1997 (when I was still a youngster) I knew it would have disrupted the industry had it been allowed to happen in the U.S., but the threat of jail kept me from pursuing. Betfair did disrupt the industry in England. Racing executives are so afraid of betting exchanges that it took Betfair 20 years of lobbying before it became legal in NJ. UBER disrupted the taxi industry globally. Both those companies were (and probably still are) hated and loathed. A lot of people have been hurt by them. Change is not always easy. The old ways would have eventually come to an end one way or another. It is inevitable that they would be replaced by something new and better.

Racing has so much competition from new and better forms of entertainment that it is surprising it still exists. Thank goodness for racinos. Otherwise BEL and AQU would be housing and shopping complexes.

On the other hand, sometimes oldsters do have good ideas. Beethoven was 53 when his 9th symphony was first performed. However, he started thinking about setting the "Ode to Joy" poem to music when he was 22. So maybe when today's racing youngsters become oldsters they will have it all figured out.

We'll see.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.