Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #481
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
Most answers about racing that begin with some variation on the theme of "Follow the Keeneland model..." are going to run into some trouble. Exactly how many locations "similar to Keeneland" have you ever counted? Every racing venue should be so lucky as to host the sale of thousands of horses for hundreds of millions of dollars every year. But then again, who would all of those horses be sold to, and where would they all go?

I love so many things about Keeneland, and have lived only a couple of miles away from it for most of my life, but even I will admit that Keeneland needs many places for its sale graduates to venture off to and owners to take them there. I do consider Keeneland to be a "model" of sorts- but mostly just for other venues that may find themselves sitting on giant piles of sales commissions.

And that number is?

When I was a kid I use to go to a lot of these small tracks, admittedly, some were harness, but some t-breds. They ran a few days during the summer. The stands were filled with families and, of course, a few degenerates. The day at the races was an event. The purses were insignificant. Then the 'smart' owners thought they would make tons of money if they ran everyday. It no longer was an event and people got bored with the product. I do believe that racing can and may have to go back to those days. It doesn't have to be Keeneland. It was enough to give many of the residents work and was good for the town. It also was a good support system and minor league for the bigger tracks.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #482
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
When I was a kid I use to go to a lot of these small tracks, admittedly, some were harness, but some t-breds. They ran a few days during the summer. The stands were filled with families and, of course, a few degenerates. The day at the races was an event. The purses were insignificant. Then the 'smart' owners thought they would make tons of money if they ran everyday. It no longer was an event and people got bored with the product. I do believe that racing can and may have to go back to those days. It doesn't have to be Keeneland. It was enough to give many of the residents work and was good for the town. It also was a good support system and minor league for the bigger tracks.
Don't tell Keeneland, but my favorite (not competing) trip to a track last year was one night with family to The Red Mile harness track here in Lexington. (The emphasis being the "with family" part, of course.) We all enjoyed the heck out of it. So I do know what you mean.

There just cannot be major contraction without its cousin, the law of unintended consequences, also showing up for dinner later that night. And he may not prove as pleasant a dinner guest as what many people are anticipating. (OK, I need to get off the "family" train of thought now...)

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #483
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Above is what you said which is classless. If that's what you call "tasteless" you need to be reeducated.

How would you respond if your son and daughter was told that by a teacher? Only one can imagine your reaction.

How would you react if I used the same exact words you stated and directed them at you?

How DARE you say "US" please don't EVER speak for me. Like I stated before Mr. Goren and I are in complete disagreement on this issue. If you really dislike him just use the ignore or block button.
OK, I used the wrong word, sue me
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #484
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
There just cannot be major contraction without its cousin, the law of unintended consequences, also showing up for dinner later that night. And he may not prove as pleasant a dinner guest as what many people are anticipating.
I am not saying and do not think it will be pleasant. Just like filing for Chapter 11, there will be a painful bloodletting. Here's hoping, when the time comes, some enterprising individual or individuals will be able to restructure and resurrect the sport and not have it go to Chapter 7.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #485
Dahoss9698
Veteran

For those following along at home, let's look at the events of this week.

Sabini and Megna send a letter to NYRA condemning the announcement of Hayward and Keogh's replacements. They also inform NYRA that their revenue from the slots is going to be withheld.

http://www.racing.state.ny.us/pdf/05...5150703168.pdf

However, according to NYRA's response, they were instructed to name a replacement on May 1st by Sabini.

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/May162012b.shtml

On May 1, 2012 Racing and Wagering Board Chairman John Sabini sent a letter to the NYRA Board of Directors, which stated “…it is imperative that you provide an interim operational plan to the Board, especially who will be performing functions as Chief Executive Officer and Counsel.” This letter contained no indication of any concerns or limitations with respect to these appointments. The NYRA Board acted to name a President and Secretary without any knowledge of any concerns by either the Franchise Oversight Board or the Racing and Wagering Board.

So two weeks after instructing NYRA to name replacements, they criticize them for it. If something as simple as naming replacements is this difficult, how do you guys think it was when NYRA asked for a takeout reduction?

Anyone still questioning what the real motives for Cuomo are here?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #486
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
So two weeks after instructing NYRA to name replacements, they criticize them for it. If something as simple as naming replacements is this difficult, how do you guys think it was when NYRA asked for a takeout reduction?
I agree
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #487
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The idiots make no sense whatsoever - NYRA cannot win with the Albany Mafia out to get them.

And the stinking, miserable excuse of a reporter Drape is the Howdy Doody puppet for them.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #488
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
If something as simple as naming replacements is this difficult, how do you guys think it was when NYRA asked for a takeout reduction?
There is nothing to suggest they asked for a takeout reduction. The evidence points to them thinking they didn't have to. They f'ed up. That isn't to suggest the rest of them aren't snakes though.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #489
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
There is nothing to suggest they asked for a takeout reduction. The evidence points to them thinking they didn't have to. They f'ed up. That isn't to suggest the rest of them aren't snakes though.
I'm talking about when they have in the past.

The bottomline is the governor is trying to shut down racing in NY. If successful, that would cripple the industry. I don't want to see that happen and am kind of dumbfounded as to why so few see this for what it is.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #490
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
I'm talking about when they have in the past.

The bottomline is the governor is trying to shut down racing in NY. If successful, that would cripple the industry. I don't want to see that happen and am kind of dumbfounded as to why so few see this for what it is.
I'm sorry. I have been jaded by total incompetence at all levels. I think they all stink. I'm sure what you say is true. Nothing will improve. It probably will only get worse. God Bless America.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #491
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
For those following along at home, let's look at the events of this week.

Sabini and Megna send a letter to NYRA condemning the announcement of Hayward and Keogh's replacements. They also inform NYRA that their revenue from the slots is going to be withheld.

http://www.racing.state.ny.us/pdf/05...5150703168.pdf

However, according to NYRA's response, they were instructed to name a replacement on May 1st by Sabini.

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/May162012b.shtml

On May 1, 2012 Racing and Wagering Board Chairman John Sabini sent a letter to the NYRA Board of Directors, which stated “…it is imperative that you provide an interim operational plan to the Board, especially who will be performing functions as Chief Executive Officer and Counsel.” This letter contained no indication of any concerns or limitations with respect to these appointments. The NYRA Board acted to name a President and Secretary without any knowledge of any concerns by either the Franchise Oversight Board or the Racing and Wagering Board.

When did NYRA ask for a a takeout reduction?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #492
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
He needs to posture himself for his run for the White House in 2016.
He covets what his daddy failed to get.
God help us all.

The welfare of NYS is not on his agenda. He could care less about the thousands of jobs he will kill.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #493
riskman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He needs to posture himself for his run for the White House in 2016.
He covets what his daddy failed to get.
God help us all.

The welfare of NYS is not on his agenda. He could care less about the thousands of jobs he will kill.
It is rumored that Cuomo will run in 2016 as a gelding.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #494
Indulto
Veteran

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/NYRA-jousts-with-state-3564291.php
NYRA jousts with state
By James M. Odato May 16, 2012
Quote:
… NYRA didn't cower. Relying on the guidance of its outside counsel, Brendan V. Sullivan Jr. — a Washington, D.C. defense lawyer considered one of the top in the business — the association put out a statement saying the promotion of McClain came about at the direction of government regulators.
Quote:

Sullivan, who has represented Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North, U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens and former New York Stock Exchange Chief Richard Grasso, would not take a reporter's call.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #495
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskman
It is rumored that Cuomo will run in 2016 as a gelding.
If I can assist in any way.....ANY way......if you get my drift.

NYRA needs to hire a high-power scumbag defense attorney to take this fight to the headlines and sound bytes.....really push back with the sleeziest of the sleezy. Shaporton, Allread, Jackson......surely this is racist what the state is doing.

Problem is, the lies fo the Governor are front page stuff thanks to Drape the Traitor, but NYRA's responses and those of others telling the truth are on the sports pages. NYRA needs to go on the attack. TV ads, radio spots, full page ads - in the NY Times......show how much they contribute, how many jobs depend on their product.

MY idea for the first full pager on the back cover of the NY Times...

Question for Governor Andrew Cuomo....of that extra 1% NYRA withheld on takeout, that you are saying was illegal, NYs took its 15% cut. (insert the amount here). Where did that money go, and when will you be returning it, like NYRA did already?

and put a huge phot of the gov under that.