Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
pandy

TVG

I doubt its permanent, with Saratoga racing Monday maybe they just wanted a day off. I have the RTN now but I still watch Perloff when I can on Mondays and Tuesday, I enjoy his banter. And they certainly DO NOT get picks from someone else or a computer, they do the handicapping.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #32
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I doubt its permanent, with Saratoga racing Monday maybe they just wanted a day off. I have the RTN now but I still watch Perloff when I can on Mondays and Tuesday, I enjoy his banter. And they certainly DO NOT get picks from someone else or a computer, they do the handicapping.
that again is what makes a market. i think you must enjoy the harness selections that christina oliveres handicaps. one night she actually had 5 straight winners. i had the opportunity to meet her, and i asked her how much she knows about harness racing, she answerd absolutely nothing. maybe she was just picking numbers out of the hat that night, but when i listened to her her picks sounded pretty convinceing. also i believe that nancy eri is also a harness handicapper as well. even the sarge is a tremendous harness handicapper these days, and i actually saw ken rudolph throw in a few picks. i have no clue how to handicap harness, and these johnie come lately's are all expert harness handicappers. you can believe what you want. i find it impossible for any of these guys to handicap anything on their own.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #33
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Oh, you'll love Jessica Pacheco, mon frere.
Who doesn't?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
thaskalos

Lamboguy,

If Rich Perloff qualifies to be called "mindless"...I wonder what you think of Greg Wolf, or worse yet...Ken Rudolph.

Favorite Rudolph moment, from a while back...

He is sharing the desk with Frank Lyons and Simon Bray...and is listening attentively to them, as they analyze a given field...from a "Beyer" and pace handicapping perspective.

Suddenly, he interupts by saying:

"You know...this is what is great about shows like this. After hearing you 2 guys break the race down in this manner, I am convinced that the 8 horse has a very good chance to win...at 24-1 odds. Do you guys agree?"

Lyons and Bray look at each other in disbelief...and they both answer: "NO!"

They go on to inform Rudolph, that the 8 horse would have to improve by at least 8 lengths, in order to contend in the race...

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #35
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombsAway Bob
"Zero Tolerance Tuesday" & "The Handicapsule" has been replaced..
with "Simulcast Tuesday" & the WORST crappy Pseudo-Rock from
the 80's & 90's I've heard since being trapped on The Mohawk Trail
with only 2FM stations to choose from!
A tleast they are playing some popular tunes as opposed to that racket they used to play.
In any event, if you don't like the music, hit the mute button until the horses are loading.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #36
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Lamboguy,

If Rich Perloff qualifies to be called "mindless"...I wonder what you think of Greg Wolf, or worse yet...Ken Rudolph.

Favorite Rudolph moment, from a while back...

He is sharing the desk with Frank Lyons and Simon Bray...and is listening attentively to them, as they analyze a given field...from a "Beyer" and pace handicapping perspective.

Suddenly, he interupts by saying:

"You know...this is what is great about shows like this. After hearing you 2 guys break the race down in this manner, I am convinced that the 8 horse has a very good chance to win...at 24-1 odds. Do you guys agree?"

Lyons and Bray look at each other in disbelief...and they both answer: "NO!"

They go on to inform Rudolph, that the 8 horse would have to improve by at least 8 lengths, in order to contend in the race...
no arguement here, there are guys that are pretty good on the network, like gary seibel on the harness, donna brothers in keeneland, and frank lyons. perloff is an inteligent man, he does a good job with the tools he has. but he has said some pretty dumb things that we all do. he has spoken pretty well at times about pedigree's, which means nothing to me. the horse doesn't know how well his parents were. this is all part of the game. some people do believe in pedigree handicapping, and more power to them. to the extent that the horse might be better on turf than dirt.

please don't get me wrong, we all live in the real world. its not that easy to win, and tvg tries to bring out the best possible picks to show you that there is some hope. at the same time they give you their phone number so you can open up an account and send them money.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #37
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
RTN is up and running.....no excuse for any complaining about the shills at TVG.
It's time for me to put up the old Dish 1000plus and sub to RTN...hope the wife doesn't mind the extra 50 bucks a month....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #38
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Quite by accident discovered an until now overlooked 30 minute show on TVG that is enjoyable. First off, unless you are old like me, you can stop reading. Next, it is not exactly TVG, no hosts babbling away, in fact, not about horse racing at all, so what am I talking about? A very entertaining infomercial that has recently been aired during the week after regular TVG programming is done, Monday-Thursday, not sure about nights that Los Al races. It is the Time-Life 30 minute spot promoting their different oldies cd collections. For lovers of the music of the 50's and early 60's, nice trip back to the music of those times, with numerous short parts and old film clips of the artists that sung them. Pricey at 150 bucks for the 10 cd 150 song collection, and there are several different ones. Keep saying that the next time I have a really good day at the track will bite and order one of the sets. The infomercial has been airing at 10:00 PM PDT, so that would make it 1:00 AM on the east coast, midnite in the midwest, a bit late for guys back there. Also not sure if the programming is the same all over the country, or a local option, might only be aired on the west coast. Unknown is how much longer it will be broadcast, but until then, will try and enjoy the old time music at least once a week.
If you flip through the shopping channels, something similar is on almost 24-7.

I like to watch them too. The more you watch, the less you want to buy them.
Pace Cap'n is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #39
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
another reason why it is pretty evident that they read from a piece of paper is that they sometimes cover 7 tracks at a time. i can't handicap all those on a daily basis. how can they possibly find the time? before simulcasting i used to spend hours on one track. i finally took on 2 tracks when simulcasting started. i did my work on nyra and sulfolk. that was in the days before d.wayne lukas and the ship the horses from one track to the other to find his best spots.

perloff does come up with good reasons sometimes for why he makes his picks. i personally don't beleive in trainer reclaim angles and moving up the ladders, but i guess its ok. i am sure that you are a very smart person and figure it out for yourself that it is physically impossible to handicap all those tracks on a daily basis.
Give any 1 example when they were giving picks for 7 tracks at a time.

For the record i think TVG is run extremely poorly.

They generally do 3. Do they always post there own picks, i dont know.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #40
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
he has spoken pretty well at times about pedigree's, which means nothing to me.
You mean the times he talks about pedigree when the horse has had 20 starts of which 18 of them have been on the surface and at the distance of the race he's in?
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
Canarsie

Quote:
that again is what makes a market. i think you must enjoy the harness selections that christina oliveres handicaps. one night she actually had 5 straight winners. i had the opportunity to meet her, and i asked her how much she knows about harness racing, she answerd absolutely nothing. maybe she was just picking numbers out of the hat that night, but when i listened to her her picks sounded pretty convinceing. also i believe that nancy eri is also a harness handicapper as well. even the sarge is a tremendous harness handicapper these days, and i actually saw ken rudolph throw in a few picks. i have no clue how to handicap harness, and these johnie come lately's are all expert harness handicappers. you can believe what you want. i find it impossible for any of these guys to handicap anything on their own.
While I vehemently disagree with you on Perloff who usually only handicaps two track a day you are spot on with the harness. Todd Schrupp started making picks and there was a lapped on break at the wire , inquiry light went right up, the guy didn't have a clue why

One thing you are right about is he says he doesn't care about takeout which I strongly disagree with.

He does play his own picks that much I know. He once made a score of over $400 plus on a 50 cent Pick 4 and invited all viewers to join him at his pub on him. A few took him up on it. How can you kill a guy like that?
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #42
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
One thing you are right about is he says he doesn't care about takeout which I strongly disagree with.
Agreed.

It's tough to call a horseplayer host who has a following on a horse racing TV network "well thought out and intelligent" when he tells his viewers that takeout doesn't matter.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #43
jelly
Veteran

A guy like Rich Perloff who says he doesn't care about Takeout tells me he's not very good gambler.but then again,I don't think TVG has any Gamblers on their show.
Maybe Matt Curruthers?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #44
menifee

Perloff is a pretty good handicapper. Don't have stats, but I would wager his ROI at Fairplex as the on-track handicapper for the feed there is extremely high for on-track handicappers.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #45
eastie
Double Secret Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by big frank
This is what tvg should have done a long time ago... I will take the music any day of the week.... I havent heard the word chalkmark all day , no more pick 3 plays with the idiots bobbing the heads,,,,,, i hope tvg does this 7 days a week !
Those bobbing heads are soooo brutal. Caruthers looks like he was hungover from Maine to Spain and hadn't washed his hair in a week. Mr B has that big chalk eating smile with the lilttle head nods....brutal.

all they have to do now is stream Sirius 16 Deep Tracks and we'd be all set. I heard some ridiculously good 20 minute version of Chicago's Liberation at work last night.....sweet. For the first time this weekend, i turned down the volume and listened to tunes. It was actually pretty cool, except "they're off " before you know it.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply