Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-05-2024, 07:41 PM   #1
zico20

Peter Pan Stakes

Somebody needs to explain something to me. I know the Peter Pan is the prep for the Belmont Stakes but how is a G3 $200,000 race attracting as of now 13 to be entries and the Preakness, a G1 two million dollar race have two that are for sure, Muth and Imagination, and only six possible but two of them are planning to run Saturday leaving four possible if those two run in the Peter Pan. I don't get it?

Uncle Heavy is scheduled to run but is under consideration for the Preakness. Tuscan Gold the same way. Brown said he will evaluate the field and his post position draw to determine whether he scratches and goes in the Preakness instead.

Also pointing for the Peter Pan is Deterministic but why is The Wine Steward skipping the Preakness to run in a cheap G3? Conquest Warrior is skipping the Preakness to run up there also. Are they all terrified of Muth? Even a second place finish gets you a G1 placing and more money than winning the Peter Pan.

I know there are usually a couple very late last minute additions to go in the Preakness by horses you never thought would but this is getting scary that next weekend only two could be confirmed and they are both Baffert horses. Trainers have delusions of grandeur about winning the Derby but why not the Preakness, it still is a Triple Crown race.

The other four possible are Informed Patriot, Copper Tax, Seize the Grey and Mystik Dan.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 07:57 PM   #2
bisket

It all comes down to the best 3 year old will be running in the Preaknes instead of the Derby…. Muth. None of them want anything to do with him. I’m sure this will be the last time CDI will exclude Baffert because they’re going to get a bunch of shit from the TV Network….
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 PM   #3
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
It all comes down to the best 3 year old will be running in the Preaknes instead of the Derby…. Muth. None of them want anything to do with him. I’m sure this will be the last time CDI will exclude Baffert because they’re going to get a bunch of shit from the TV Network….
You and I agree but Palace will be along any moment now and tell us Muth isn't very good. We need him to call all these trainers and tell them that Muth won't hit the board, neither will Imagination and enter the Preakness instead. That should get us a 14 horse field. Make the calls Palace!
Old 05-06-2024, 07:21 PM   #4
Afleet

I would be surprised if Asmussen doesn't enter multiple horses in the Preakness. I wonder if a few in the Peter Pan are cross entered. Entries closing tomorrow for Pimlico stakes
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2024, 02:13 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Field is down to six runners
Old 05-09-2024, 02:29 PM   #6
denniswilliams

It's funny. Before I saw the field was down to 6, I'll was looking over Saturday's card @ Sha Tin and was getting pissed because there was a 9 horse race and 2 10 horse races in the 10 race card. (The rest had full 12 or 14 horse fields). Straightened me out immediately.
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Do they have a saddle cloth on site?
Old 05-09-2024, 05:14 PM   #8
wiretowire68

I absolutely agree

First I will chime in about the future of Baffert. I would say it is time to end this, although others like Dutrow etc. 10 year bans. Baffert and the powers that he is surrounded by ended up with getting spanked. When is the ban over? I would say it is time to let him back and even though they all should receive the same across the board testing. He did get caught in arguably the most prestigious race in the world.

I believe he and his horse should be under the strictest of guidelines and agree to it once he comes back and if happens again whether he claims he is not guilty then ban him for 10 years or life so we can get on with the cloud he causes. As far as the Peter Pan, either the crop does not appear to be strong, the Preakness is really losing its lustre. I know the big argument is the traditionalists vs. the new (The amount of money in the breeding and I will say that the top notch horses get the top care and trainers are either too cautious or they want them at the top of their game and Lay Offs are becoming the new norm at least towards the Triple Crown.

More derby horses will be back.. for the Belmont, it is also 1 1/4 and it is big spectacle because of being held at the Spa. The earlier point I was making.. unless you believe you have a super horse.. two weeks is too short.. Mage tried valiantly which goes to show you. And if I recall throughout the years, Many Derby horses use to skip the Preakness because they figure the Derby Winner did not stack up. I agree, they really need to consider if they want better fields or better horses which has been a huge question. Maybe they should consider spreading this out in terms of the calendar. Pimlico is going to be rebuilt with taxpayer money etc. and totally made over and I do not think they want their biggest spectacle to be considered downgraded. The undercards are excellent.

It is an excellent comment on the state of institution the Triple Crown is suppose to be. You could discuss this for days on in?
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 PM   #9
wiretowire68

I made a mistake

I meant horses from the Derby who skipped the Preakness years back knew they would not be good enough to compete against the Derby Winner or the Derby Winner and a Top Contender... like Fierceness.. he through in a huge dud but he does have speed and it would be an interesting to come back and face Muth..after he flopped.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
zico20

I am happy Tuscan Gold is running in the Preakness, I need a horse to key 3rd or 4th behind Muth and Imagination. I think I found him!
Old 05-09-2024, 08:39 PM   #11
denniswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
NO.

There'll definitely be a scratch or 2.
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2024, 11:19 AM   #12
Bustin Stones

Consider how the economics of the sport has changed. To retire a healthy colt to stud that has multiple graded stakes wins, can put more food on the table in the breeding shed than on the track. The layoffs are considered prudent management of valuable assets. Is a Preakness win any more valuable than any other Grade 1 or 2 win for the breeding shed? Apparently, the thinking is that it is not.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2024, 03:22 PM   #13
zico20

Deterministic's immediate racing career is in jeopardy after that lackluster performance. Can't drop him into a claiming race and he doesn't appear like he can beat allowance horses right now. Maybe give him six months off and regroup. Antiquarian ran big and that bodes well for Tuscan Gold as he beat him handily in the Louisiana Derby. The Wine Steward had no excuse once again.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:31 PM   #14
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yes, he won the race.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2024, 05:49 PM   #15
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Deterministic's immediate racing career is in jeopardy after that lackluster performance. Can't drop him into a claiming race and he doesn't appear like he can beat allowance horses right now. Maybe give him six months off and regroup. Antiquarian ran big and that bodes well for Tuscan Gold as he beat him handily in the Louisiana Derby. The Wine Steward had no excuse once again.
Seems like the stretch out to two turns has exposed him; a cutback to extended sprints might reboot him, especially with his closing style.

This was suggested a couple of times during the buildup to the race on America's Day at the Races.

However, neither his sire line nor his broodmare sire are known for soundness & this colt was gone for several months after his maiden win so perhaps there are physical issues undermining his performances.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply