Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #481
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Deservedly so.

This was NOT the platform for the idiot-Teds personal BS.
It was a convention of the PARTY and nothing else.

Ted's personal crap had no place there.

I'd have had him physically thrown out the back door in to the parking lot.
Trump played his cards with Cruz brilliantly. He got out of the way of a suicidal maniac.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #482
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______

I posted on here because many were stating Cruz is finished as a national candidate. I think that is short sighted. He has ambition. His speech at the convention was an intentional part of his plan for 2020. He will be a heavyweight in that campaign.
He wasn't a credible national candidate this year, why would it be any different in 2020?

He has a relatively narrow base founded on strict conservative principles and a strong belief in the Constitution. That doesn't sell with the left, or with establishment Republicans (except in their rhetoric), or with the alt-Republicans. He doesn't play well with the GOP leaders and he doesn't have the charisma or the broad likeability or the vague empty promises of free stuff needed to pull in the low information voters.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #483
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Trump played his cards with Cruz brilliantly. He got out of the way of a suicidal maniac.
Rumor has it that they cut a deal. Cruz got to make an unvetted speech in exchange for agreeing to not have his supporters put his name in nomination.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #484
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
He wasn't a credible national candidate this year, why would it be any different in 2020?

He has a relatively narrow base founded on strict conservative principles and a strong belief in the Constitution. That doesn't sell with the left, or with establishment Republicans (except in their rhetoric), or with the alt-Republicans. He doesn't play well with the GOP leaders and he doesn't have the charisma or the broad likeability or the vague empty promises of free stuff needed to pull in the low information voters.
Everything you stated here is true except the introduction. I think he was a very credible candidate this year (though not my choice) and the clear alternative to Trump until Indiana.

He out maneuvered Trump and every other candidate wherever organization was important. Don't forget how he "stole" state after state by understanding the rules and having people in place.

Organization didn't matter this year. Maybe that's the template moving forward but I doubt it. I don't like Ted Cruz but I respect that he will be formidable in Republican politics, including the 2020 race, once 2016 is in the rear view mirror.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #485
Clocker

Quote:
Everything you stated here is true except the introduction. I think he was a very credible candidate this year (though not my choice) and the clear alternative to Trump until Indiana.
It appears you are talking in terms of the primaries. I was talking in terms of the general election. If he couldn't win the Republican nomination running against a guy that isn't even a Republican, he doesn't stack up very well against the Democratic Machine.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #486
_______
Veteran

Quote:
It appears you are talking in terms of the primaries. I was talking in terms of the general election. If he couldn't win the Republican nomination running against a guy that isn't even a Republican, he doesn't stack up very well against the Democratic Machine.

We agree that he is extremely unlikely to ever be President. But, yes. I am talking about the 2020 nomination when I say he remains formidable.

Again, this all started with a discussion by others about how he "ended" his national political ambitions on Wednesday.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #487
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
We agree that he is extremely unlikely to ever be President. But, yes. I am talking about the 2020 nomination when I say he remains formidable.

Again, this all started with a discussion by others about how he "ended" his national political ambitions on Wednesday.
He had to do it this year if he was ever going to do it the way things had been going. I too don't agree that it is suicide for him. I think it's a good gamble that his only other chance is to be the guy that can say unequivocally "I told you so" and didn't turn face because it was truly the politically correct thing to do. I stood by my principle and my word. The guy who called me Lyin' Ted for six months was wrong all along, including that. He either has to change who is to even conceivably win or enhance what he is to ever win. What he did seems like the lesser of two evils for a longshot with narrow windows of opportunity to work with.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #488
Clocker

Quote:

Right. Just like Nixon 'ended' his political career after his loss to JFK.

H. L. Menken said that nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. The same applies to the memory of the American voter.

I agree that he can remake himself with minimum effort by 2020. Keep a low profile for a while, mend some fences, write a book.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #489
upthecreek

Trump saves Cruz

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/art...ws.newsmax.com
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #490
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Agree completely. Even if Trump wasn't in the field this year, Cruz would not have been the nominee, and he has no shot at winning the White House, Trump or no Trump.

Yes, I know, technically Cruz finished 2nd...so why wouldn't he have won if Trump wasn't in the field? Race shape dynamics...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #491
MutuelClerk

He just has a scary, creepy look to him. Maybe it's like Nixon-Kennedy debate years ago. He may sound sound great on the radio. But when you see him? Noooooooooooooooo way.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #492
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I agree that he can remake himself with minimum effort by 2020. Keep a low profile for a while, mend some fences, write a book.
That would mean the GOP will change - they will continue to be leemings and losers. After Ted gave that speech and would not endorse the nominee at the convention, he lost all credibility. Clearly, he is one you can count on. His big talk has proven to be a big nothing. As a senator, he has been a failure and made a lot of enemies. If he was not prepared to help the candidate and unite the party,. he should have stayed home kept his big mouth shut. Like the rest of the GOP losers - the Bush clan, et al.
I consider both Bushes to have endorsed Hillary, and that is the worst thing I can say about someone. That is their legacy - traitors.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #493
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

Yes, I know, technically Cruz finished 2nd...so why wouldn't he have won if Trump wasn't in the field? Race shape dynamics...
Are you saying that if Trump was not in the race, Cruz would have been the cheap early speed that died in the stretch?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #494
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
That would mean the GOP will change - they will continue to be leemings and losers. After Ted gave that speech and would not endorse the nominee at the convention, he lost all credibility.
I'm not saying that Cruz could win the nomination in 2020, I'm saying that could make another run at it and would get the same base and same support he had this year. Despite the funeral orations from the pundits now, Cruz can put together another run in 2020 equal to this one in 2016. And finish 2nd or 3rd again.