Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Always look ahead- in politics & life.

Yes, know your past history to avoid future FUBARs, but plan ahead. The ONLY reason McConnell & his well payolaed Republicon cronies are blowing off this clever, moderate choice by Obama, is that they are shit scared of being turfed themselves in November, if they agree to it! They see the intense anger generated by Drumpf & Bernie and know that it would take 15 minutes for those, who feel most passionately about today's state of affairs, to organize to cast them out.

On the other hand, IF the favourite (Democrat- Hillary) wins, there are 4 (count 'em- 4) SC Justices advancing in age, worthy of Death Pool consideration. Two are from the majority (formerly) Con wing, one is hard core Liberal and the other, less so.

In four years, they would be about 87, 84, 82 & 77.

Should Clinton be elected, there would be the possibility that the court might change 7-2 to the liberal slant, burying any conservative issue victories for at least a generation.

Something for Mitch & Friends to consider.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #32
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
Always look ahead- in politics & life.

Yes, know your past history to avoid future FUBARs, but plan ahead. The ONLY reason McConnell & his well payolaed Republicon cronies are blowing off this clever, moderate choice by Obama, is that they are shit scared of being turfed themselves in November, if they agree to it! They see the intense anger generated by Drumpf & Bernie and know that it would take 15 minutes for those, who feel most passionately about today's state of affairs, to organize to cast them out.

On the other hand, IF the favourite (Democrat- Hillary) wins, there are 4 (count 'em- 4) SC Justices advancing in age, worthy of Death Pool consideration. Two are from the majority (formerly) Con wing, one is hard core Liberal and the other, less so.

In four years, they would be about 87, 84, 82 & 77.

Should Clinton be elected, there would be the possibility that the court might change 7-2 to the liberal slant, burying any conservative issue victories for at least a generation.

Something for Mitch & Friends to consider.
The Supreme Court vacancies is the most important issue facing voters this November, much more so than the economy, jobs, immigration, border security. A 7-2 liberal court can and will wipe out many of our cherished constitutional rights. Trump better not blow this election, it will set back our country irreversibly for decades, if not forever. I wanted the most electable conservative for president, and that was Rubio, for he would have assured many conservative justices.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #33
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Never get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig. You get filthy and the pig likes it.

Rubio found this out the hard way. He tried to use Trump-like tactics against Trump and it backfired.

But I digress. Back to the Supreme Court nomination process...
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #34
betovernetcapper

Upon reflection

From a tactical point of view, it might be best to agree to a hearing scheduled in June or July and then keep it in committee till Nov 9th. If Clinton wins, she would send someone worse to a Democratic Senate. In that scenario, the committee should approve him, send it to the floor and pass him asap. If Clinton loses, then Garland should be voted down in the committee.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Democratic Senate? Oh my...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Obama filibustered a nominee, and Biden set the ground rules for NOT nominating anyone in an election year.

So don't blame the GOP - they are merely reaching across the aisle, as Obama says they never do, to try to respect the guidelines set by the dems.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #37
HalvOnHorseracing

If the vulnerable senate seats make an issue of not having a hearing - and remember they can hold hearings and get to a vote much later - it's going to be a problem. You don't want to give ammo to the opponents of vulnerable Republicans about being dogmatic and obstructionist. If you get 10 or so Republicans to complain to McConnell about not having hearings it might happen. Keeping the senate Republican is a higher priority. If Hillary gets elected, I make it 80% Garland gets confirmed in the Lame Duck session, although Obama could withdraw the nomination. If Trump gets elected I make it 60% that Garland gets confirmed. If Cruz or Kasich gets elected Garland doesn't get confirmed no way, no how. You are not going to have a better choice than Garland from a Dem.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The repubs will cave in soon.
They always cave in.
They lack the stones to stand up to anyone.

Over under, anyone?

I'll say they cave by Memorial Day.