Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
speed

Instead of the music they should play Zenyatta's career races on a contstant loop.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabe
His voice might be mellow; he doesn't go ballistic when he picks a winner or loser........but "mindless" ???

There's quite a bit of "mindless" on both TVG & HRTV, but I wouldn't put Perloff in that group.
this is a brutal, tough, unwilling game. its basicaloly impossible to win at. if you chose to think that a guy that reads from a piece of paper that is handed to him every day it is your business. sure he presents himself quite well. but to me he is very obnoxious. he constantly knocks bridgejumping on a multiple daily basis as claims its a sure loser. every single bet that he touts carries a house edge of 27%- 33%. bridgjumping is the only bet available to the public where the player can hold the edge. so perloff knocks giving you any type of a chance and touts you on a sure losing proposition. if you think you can take a dollar bill and turn it into .67 cents and think you can win, then listen carefully to rich perloff or anyone else that is touting you on TVG. they do try to give you winning tickets, its in their best interest.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i'm glad he makes someone happy. i guess that is what makes a horseracing market. if everyone liked the same things the world would be a very boring place. in real life perloff is probably a great guy, on television all he is, is a mindless robot paper reader. so if you like that, perloff is your man.
mindless robot paper reader?

What guy have you been watching?

Rich has his own way of handicapping - which I don't really subscribe to.
However, he is a bona fide handicapper. More than can be said for many.

He does get snippy with some of his e-mailers, and deservedly so, most often.

I would never describe him as a mindless robot. Rich is well thought-out, articulate, and his own man. He is one of the few presenters on TVG who has a loyal following for the work that he does. He can come across with a dry, academic approach to the task at hand, but he is very genuine.

I feel strongly that he could out-handicap most of the talent on both racing channels. That may not be saying all that much, but it's a plus.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

I like no boobs

Oh, you'll love Jessica Pacheco, mon frere.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed
Instead of the music they should play Zenyatta's career races on a contstant loop.

One word --- .
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
Beachbabe

Quote:
this is a brutal, tough, unwilling game. its basicaloly impossible to win at. if you chose to think that a guy that reads from a piece of paper that is handed to him every day it is your business. sure he presents himself quite well. but to me he is very obnoxious. he constantly knocks bridgejumping on a multiple daily basis as claims its a sure loser. every single bet that he touts carries a house edge of 27%- 33%. bridgjumping is the only bet available to the public where the player can hold the edge. so perloff knocks giving you any type of a chance and touts you on a sure losing proposition. if you think you can take a dollar bill and turn it into .67 cents and think you can win, then listen carefully to rich perloff or anyone else that is touting you on TVG. they do try to give you winning tickets, its in their best interest.

What is this "piece of paper" you refer to ? He's either reading the form or reading e-mails. Do you think he's handed a script on what to talk about & what horse to pick ???????
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
lamboguy

Quote:
What is this "piece of paper" you refer to ? He's either reading the form or reading e-mails. Do you think he's handed a script on what to talk about & what horse to pick ???????
i think that he is handed his picks from the back room, like all the rest of them in los angeles, they are either pace picks or computer generated picks. i can almost tell you about 90% of the horses those guys will pick before they even know it.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Rich is well thought-out, articulate, and his own man
And another "own man" which has stated he doesn't care how high the takeout is and that it really doesn't matter.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #24
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Oh, you'll love Jessica Pacheco, mon frere.
careful, I love that hair flip....never get much further south than that beautiful face.......
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #25
GaryG
Unreconstructed

RTN is up and running.....no excuse for any complaining about the shills at TVG.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
... sure he presents himself quite well. but to me he is very obnoxious.
Hence the title of the show.... ZERO TOLERANCE TUESDAY.

Dropping this show from their programming schedule proves that Betfair hasn't brought a thing to the table. It was a show model that made sense. Minimal personnel, and focused analysis.

They will probably keep their 3 man format in place so the dog and pony show can continue their song and dance routine. How many do they have put on that Ddouble show on Fridays? What a joke that is....

So of course, the only smart thing to do is to cut out the best programming in the worst time slot.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #27
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
Hence the title of the show.... ZERO TOLERANCE TUESDAY.

Dropping this show from their programming schedule proves that Betfair hasn't brought a thing to the table. It was a show model that made sense. Minimal personnel, and focused analysis.

They will probably keep their 3 man format in place so the dog and pony show can continue their song and dance routine. How many do they have put on that Ddouble show on Fridays? What a joke that is....

So of course, the only smart thing to do is to cut out the best programming in the worst time slot.
i think what you might see are the 3 men teams dropped down to 2 and then they will be 2 men teams that will be dropped to 1.

face it, horseracing is on a bigtime downward cycle and the longer they go without repairing the damage the longer it will take to repair it.

i honestly think that horseracing will not die completely. and i think some smart guy will eventually step up to the plate and put a massive program to get it back on track. the $64,000 question will be is if tvg does last that long?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
big frank

This is what tvg should have done a long time ago... I will take the music any day of the week.... I havent heard the word chalkmark all day , no more pick 3 plays with the idiots bobbing the heads,,,,,, i hope tvg does this 7 days a week !
big frank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
lamboguy

Quote:
another reason why it is pretty evident that they read from a piece of paper is that they sometimes cover 7 tracks at a time. i can't handicap all those on a daily basis. how can they possibly find the time? before simulcasting i used to spend hours on one track. i finally took on 2 tracks when simulcasting started. i did my work on nyra and sulfolk. that was in the days before d.wayne lukas and the ship the horses from one track to the other to find his best spots.

perloff does come up with good reasons sometimes for why he makes his picks. i personally don't beleive in trainer reclaim angles and moving up the ladders, but i guess its ok. i am sure that you are a very smart person and figure it out for yourself that it is physically impossible to handicap all those tracks on a daily basis.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #30
BlueShoe

Terrific TVG Program.

Quite by accident discovered an until now overlooked 30 minute show on TVG that is enjoyable. First off, unless you are old like me, you can stop reading. Next, it is not exactly TVG, no hosts babbling away, in fact, not about horse racing at all, so what am I talking about? A very entertaining infomercial that has recently been aired during the week after regular TVG programming is done, Monday-Thursday, not sure about nights that Los Al races. It is the Time-Life 30 minute spot promoting their different oldies cd collections. For lovers of the music of the 50's and early 60's, nice trip back to the music of those times, with numerous short parts and old film clips of the artists that sung them. Pricey at 150 bucks for the 10 cd 150 song collection, and there are several different ones. Keep saying that the next time I have a really good day at the track will bite and order one of the sets. The infomercial has been airing at 10:00 PM PDT, so that would make it 1:00 AM on the east coast, midnite in the midwest, a bit late for guys back there. Also not sure if the programming is the same all over the country, or a local option, might only be aired on the west coast. Unknown is how much longer it will be broadcast, but until then, will try and enjoy the old time music at least once a week.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply