Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #211
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It doesn't imply dirt. It specifically says DIRT.
It said RA had a dirt campaign, not that he is restricting his theory to dirt. You are assuming that he is, and perhaps not unreasonably. Anyway, doesn't matter. It's an interesting theory, as you would expect from a man of his caliber.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #212
Charlie D

From article

Quote:
Few filly dirt runners have ever faced the challenges that Rachel Alexandra did in 2009

(enlarged so people can see it better)
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #213
Charlie D

Quote:

What has happened to her from 2009 to 2010? There are only guesses and theories, but some history may be relevant to Rachel Alexandra's case. Racehorses often improve when they reach maturity as 4-year-olds; Triple Crown winners Seattle Slew and Affirmed were even more dominant at 4 than they were at 3. But many of the greatest 3-year-old fillies have failed to progress this way. The last two fillies to win the Kentucky Derby, Genuine Risk (1980) and Winning Colors (1988), did not win a race of consequence as 4-year-olds. Perhaps the demands of an ultra-strenuous campaign take more of a toll on fillies than on colts.

In bolded part he implies it is "Dirt" runners he is talking about and then he goes on to confirm this, with the part i just quoted.

Some people around here need to learn to read in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Charlie D; 09-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #214
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D
From bolded part he implies "Dirt" and then he goes on to confirm this, with the part i just quoted.

Some people around here need to learn to read in my humble opinion.
It's incredible that gm10 continues to miss exactly what was written in the Beyer article, is it not? Right there...in black and white...no implications or assumptions are needed.

Makes one wonder if his intentions are simply to cause strife in every single thread, or is he truly impaired when it comes to reading comprehension.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #215
Charlie D

I'm guessing. Earlier encouters with CJ and TLG have probably pushed him over edge PA
Old 09-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #216
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
You could also mention Goldikova and Ouija Board who both managed to maintain their 3yo form throughout their 4yo and 5yo season.

GM10, in my earlier post I agreed with you stating that Goldikova and Ouija Board were exceptions to Andy Beyer’s DRF article concerning Rachel Alexandra’s performance in the recent Personal Ensign stakes.

However after reading the article again (and you should also) you will see the following declaration by Beyer at the beginning of the 8th paragraph of the article: “Few filly dirt runners have ever faced the challenges that Rachel Alexandra did in 2009, beating males in Grade 1 company three times….”

Therefore it would be nebulous and asinine to argue against Beyer’s written words that he wasn’t referring to fillies that run on dirt.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #217
Charlie D

I don't think i'm as old as some around here and i certainly know i'm not as good as some around here regarding US racing history. So don't know if KD has ever been run on turf or synthetic but when someone refers to Kentucky Derby surely it is obvious he means he is refering to DIRT.

Last edited by Charlie D; 09-06-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #218
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
GM10, in my earlier post I agreed with you stating that Goldikova and Ouija Board were exceptions to Andy Beyer’s DRF article concerning Rachel Alexandra’s performance in the recent Personal Ensign stakes.

However after reading the article again (and you should also) you will see the following declaration by Beyer at the beginning of the 8th paragraph of the article: “Few filly dirt runners have ever faced the challenges that Rachel Alexandra did in 2009, beating males in Grade 1 company three times….”

Therefore it would be nebulous and asinine to argue against Beyer’s written words that he wasn’t referring to fillies that run on dirt.
Yes, as I already wrote, it is a reasonable assumption. It wasn't clear to me whether he was stating a dirt theory or illustrating a general theory by means of dirt fillies, but given your post and all the genuine comments earlier, I will gladly accept that the theory should be interpreted as applying to dirt only.

As for the theory itself, it is an interesting one. It is tempting to believe that it is true, but then again, our perception of history is very much coloured by the present and most recent past. On the other hand - how many of the recent KD winning colts managed to win a race of consequence as a 4yo? As far as I remember ...

Super Saver - doubtful
Mine That Bird - no
Big Brown - hah
Street Sense - sadly not
Barbaro -
Giacomo - no (San Diego Handicap doesn't count I'm sure)
Smarty Jones - no
Funny Cide - yes
War Emblem - no
Monarchos - no

That's one out of ten - although most didn't even make it to the track at 4.

Although I think Beyer's theory certainly applies to some fillies (and colts), I think it is also down to other factors, such as (to give just a few possible explanations) training and riding styles needing to be different as the horse matures, and the fact that a lot of 'great' 3yo's build a significant part of their reputation in races restricted to 3yo's. As grueling and important as the classic 3yo races are, they are disputed in a relatively small pond (in any country).

Last edited by gm10; 09-06-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #219
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Yes, as I already wrote, it is a reasonable assumption. It wasn't clear to me whether he was stating a dirt theory or illustrating a general theory by means of dirt fillies, but given your post and all the genuine comments earlier, I will gladly accept that the theory should be interpreted as applying to dirt only.
You can believe the world is against you all you wish, and that Cratos is the only one worth replying to, however this does not change the simple fact that there is no assumption required and no interpreting necessary. Beyer actually writes that it is a dirt theory.

I will do a little assuming of my own that you are operating as a vision impaired adult, which is certainly nothing to be ashamed about.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #220
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You can believe the world is against you all you wish, and that Cratos is the only one worth replying to, however this does not change the simple fact that there is no assumption required and no interpreting necessary. Beyer actually writes that it is a dirt theory.

I will do a little assuming of my own that you are operating as a vision impaired adult, which is certainly nothing to be ashamed about.
Nice. I shall definitely pay more attention to your contributions from now on.

Last edited by gm10; 09-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #221
Charlie D

Gm10, either PA is correct regarding your vision or your just unwilling to admit you were wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #222
born2ride

Quote:

What has happened to her from 2009 to 2010? There are only guesses and theories, but some history may be relevant to Rachel Alexandra's case. Racehorses often improve when they reach maturity as 4-year-olds; Triple Crown winners Seattle Slew and Affirmed were even more dominant at 4 than they were at 3. But many of the greatest 3-year-old fillies have failed to progress this way. The last two fillies to win the Kentucky Derby, Genuine Risk (1980) and Winning Colors (1988), did not win a race of consequence as 4-year-olds. Perhaps the demands of an ultra-strenuous campaign take more of a toll on fillies than on colts.
The last two 3 yo fillies to win HOY - Twilight Tear and Busher failed to have a dominant year as 4 year olds. TT was retired after a breathing issue and Busher didn't race at 4, but was retired after one race at 5 after failing to place.

In the context of how the best 3 year old fillies have failed to maintain their form as a 4 year old, Rachel has exceeded historical expectations. Of course, expectations were high for her this year given the year she had in '09, and by most accounts she has fallen short.

I only wish I had a barn full of has-beens like Rachel that win a G2 and an ungraded stakes and place in a G1, G2 and an ungraded stakes winning over $500k so far for the year.
born2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #223
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
That's one out of ten - although most didn't even make it to the track at 4.
Then add Secretariat to your list.
If a horse did not start at 4, probably due to breeding money, what the Hell is the point of putting them on a list like this?

Do you have a list of people who climbed Mt Everest and never climbed that high again?

Or people that walked on the moon and never did again?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #224
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Nice. I shall definitely pay more attention to your contributions from now on.
Are you saying my assumption is incorrect? What else could account for you completely missing what was written despite being shown multiple times by multiple contributors?

Believe it or not, I don't relish being stuck in the minutia with you like this...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-07-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #225
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2ride
The last two 3 yo fillies to win HOY - Twilight Tear and Busher failed to have a dominant year as 4 year olds. TT was retired after a breathing issue and Busher didn't race at 4, but was retired after one race at 5 after failing to place.

In the context of how the best 3 year old fillies have failed to maintain their form as a 4 year old, Rachel has exceeded historical expectations. Of course, expectations were high for her this year given the year she had in '09, and by most accounts she has fallen short.

I only wish I had a barn full of has-beens like Rachel that win a G2 and an ungraded stakes and place in a G1, G2 and an ungraded stakes winning over $500k so far for the year.

That's why you're one in a million.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply