Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 12:24 AM   #1
Poindexter

2 horses named Tiverton?

One was supposed to race Tuesday in the 5th at Churchill Downs (originally from Ireland) and the other was bred in Kentucky and is racing Wednesday in the 3rd at Churchill Down. That is pretty weird to me. Does this happen often? Nothing to prevent this?
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2024, 06:48 AM   #2
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
One was supposed to race Tuesday in the 5th at Churchill Downs (originally from Ireland) and the other was bred in Kentucky and is racing Wednesday in the 3rd at Churchill Down. That is pretty weird to me. Does this happen often? Nothing to prevent this?
In my experience it is rare. In the U.S., a foreign horse is identified as the name and the abbreviation of the country of origin. For claiming purposes for instance the claim slip would have to have the name spelled correctly and the abbreviation IRE as well exactly like the program lists it.
If they were in the same race, I assume the announcer would identify one as its name and Ireland as a part of the name. I guess. Personally, I don’t listen to the announcers. It distracts me from watching the race and time. Not that that matters I guess.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2024, 07:23 AM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

In California in'07 and '08 there were two Daytonas on the scene. The Irish one was a stakes runner, the domestic one was a claimer; a couple times they raced just days apart at Hollywood or Santa Anita.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2024, 01:59 PM   #4
Poindexter

Guess who just beat me out of a lot of money. A horse named Tiverton.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

There was a time when horses with the same name ran in the same race. I believe it was in SoCal as I seem to remember Trevor was the caller and distinguished them by country.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2024, 04:23 PM   #6
racenomics

Quote:
I believe I saw a sporting chance deep in the PPs of a euro shipper a few years ago, and there are 2 Paddington’s-most here have heard of both I bet. I was hoping both made it to the breeders cup, however unlikely
Old 05-02-2024, 06:47 AM   #7
ZeroZeroStart

maiden won yesterday tiverton 18/1
ZeroZeroStart is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 02:56 PM   #8
ubercapper

Quote:

In nearly all entries and PPs in North America, horses with the same name are differentiated by the country or province (if in Canada) of birth, in this case Tiverton (GB) and Tiverton (indicating born in the U.S.)

If you enter the horse name Tiverton in the search box at Equibase.com you will see both, one with the (GB) appended to the name. Clicking on each horse individually will also see one is Tiverton (GB) and the other Tiverton (KY) indicating the latter was born in Kentucky. If one was born in Ontario, Canada, it's name would display as Tiverton (ON).
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2024, 11:09 AM   #9
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
In nearly all entries and PPs in North America, horses with the same name are differentiated by the country or province (if in Canada) of birth, in this case Tiverton (GB) and Tiverton (indicating born in the U.S.)

If you enter the horse name Tiverton in the search box at Equibase.com you will see both, one with the (GB) appended to the name. Clicking on each horse individually will also see one is Tiverton (GB) and the other Tiverton (KY) indicating the latter was born in Kentucky. If one was born in Ontario, Canada, it's name would display as Tiverton (ON).
That makes sense. For some reason bris doesn’t bother with the country extension on their past performances. Thus all I saw on both horses in their past performances was Tiverton.