Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Impressive, I haven't watched much horse racing coverage since moving to Virginia. Is she related to Brad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
My guess is they are related. They are both pretty HOT!

I just looked him up, but could not quickly find family info. It said he joined the Racing Form in 1992. I swear it seems like he has been around longer than that.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 08:04 PM   #17
bisket

Lol I had Mystik Dan and she cleaned my clock lol
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 08:51 PM   #18
Inner Dirt

I dare anyone to match my Derby betting record, for being terrible that is.
I just watch which is rare for me to watch a race without even betting $5 across on a long shot. I stopped betting the Derby probably 10 years ago. In betting it 35 years I may have hit 3 winners that paid single digit prices. I have done ok on the Preakness betting the Derby horse that got a bad trip, but finish well. Not sure who that is yet.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 04:41 PM   #19
Vince P 777

(I posted this in the other forum)

I hate excuses. It seems people nowadays make lame-ass excuses for everything they say or do wrong, or even bet on. Or making a phony apology.

BUT.....

I feel as bettors, there are 4 answers to your handicapping:

A. Your handicapping sucked and your horse never had any chance. Bad bet. Bad analysis.

B. Your horse had ridiculous trouble and was left with little chance to run their race.

C. Your horse had a clean lucky run while others behind her, had trouble.

D. You analyzed the race perfectly and your horse was simply best. Good job.

I watched the Derby with great hopes for Honor Marie. Somewhere during the first 4 furlongs my wife asked me "Where is Honor Marie?"

He was far, far, far back.

I said "Not sure, for whatever reason he's not into racing today."

Then this morning I read this in BloodHorse:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...kend-takeaways

Five Key Kentucky Derby Takeaways (I posted their 4th takeaway below)

AWFUL TRIP:
With a 20-horse field and the desperation jockeys feel to reach the first turn in a good spot, the Derby can be over for some horses almost before it starts. That was the case with Honor Marie , the well-regarded Louisiana Derby runner-up.

"My race was over coming out of the gate," jockey Ben Curtis said. "I got speared from both sides. I lost an iron and had to put it back in. He was nearly down on his head, but I gave him time to pick himself up. He didn't get the smoothest first quarter of a mile and I just let him float around a bit after that." Under the circumstances, the son of Honor Code did well to finish eighth.

Not that Honor Marie would have won, but he did run a close 2nd to Sierra Leone in their previous race, so......

Vince P
Vince P 777 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 05:18 PM   #20
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince P 777 View Post
(I posted this in the other forum)

I hate excuses. It seems people nowadays make lame-ass excuses for everything they say or do wrong, or even bet on. Or making a phony apology.

BUT.....

I feel as bettors, there are 4 answers to your handicapping:

A. Your handicapping sucked and your horse never had any chance. Bad bet. Bad analysis.

B. Your horse had ridiculous trouble and was left with little chance to run their race.

C. Your horse had a clean lucky run while others behind her, had trouble.

D. You analyzed the race perfectly and your horse was simply best. Good job.

I watched the Derby with great hopes for Honor Marie. Somewhere during the first 4 furlongs my wife asked me "Where is Honor Marie?"

He was far, far, far back.

I said "Not sure, for whatever reason he's not into racing today."

Then this morning I read this in BloodHorse:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...kend-takeaways

Five Key Kentucky Derby Takeaways (I posted their 4th takeaway below)

AWFUL TRIP:
With a 20-horse field and the desperation jockeys feel to reach the first turn in a good spot, the Derby can be over for some horses almost before it starts. That was the case with Honor Marie , the well-regarded Louisiana Derby runner-up.

"My race was over coming out of the gate," jockey Ben Curtis said. "I got speared from both sides. I lost an iron and had to put it back in. He was nearly down on his head, but I gave him time to pick himself up. He didn't get the smoothest first quarter of a mile and I just let him float around a bit after that." Under the circumstances, the son of Honor Code did well to finish eighth.

Not that Honor Marie would have won, but he did run a close 2nd to Sierra Leone in their previous race, so......

Vince P
So you were A?
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 07:52 PM   #21
IamNewt

Here's what I took away from the Derby.

Going from memory, I believe only one horse came into the Derby with any type of California form. Stronghold.

I guess that Baffert guy really is a great trainer.
IamNewt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2024, 07:07 AM   #22
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I think the lack of Baffert speed in the last two Derbies has had a lot to do with the race shape getting flipped.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2024, 09:29 AM   #23
Vince P 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
So you were A?
Lol.

I'm probably somewhere between A (terrible handicapper) and B. Usually A, except for in Chemistry, Civics and Calculus.

To be certain, I asked my 2yo granddaughter if I am a terrible handicapper.

She mumbled something about Minnie Mouse and gave me a hug so I am taking that as a no.

Vince P
Vince P 777 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2024, 03:22 PM   #24
Vino4Dino

Enjoyed your rehash. I'm the only horse player in my entire circle, family and friends, so I don't get to discuss it much.
To your point about a clean ride for Forever Young I had to wince, he was the key to all my wagers. I've never bet on the Japanese entries to win before but FY had the lines of champ and is damn good looking horse. Oh well, next year.
Vino4Dino is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2024, 05:21 PM   #25
PFLBryce

Derby was my first one being live at this year, was an incredible experience. Probably the coolest live sporting event I've been to. Can't wait until next years.

Oaks was in the infield which was a vibe as well, was surprised at the demographics (more ladies than men), but everyone seemed pretty invested.

Had seats in the First Turn club for the Derby, the view and ambience was pretty terrific (all-inclusive drinks helped as well). Pretty solid day with 6 exactas and a trifecta on the day. Granted my actual Derby race predictions were shot to hell.
PFLBryce is online now   Reply With Quote Reply