Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #466
Cardus
Veteran

[QUOTE=mannyberrios]Thank you Dahoss! Racing has its problems, but it is not nearly as bad as Gorens post. Things happen at work, home, sports, and horse racing isn't the only sport that has some problems. And to Canarsie, I think that Gorens post are tasteless, so I have a right to say so also.[/QUOTE]

Though "mindless" comes to mind for me, I agree with you. It's OK to call out items you find idiotic.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #467
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
That was not your point, nor mine. Simply that it can and has been done. Giving free PPs will not bring in new fans which is my point. You might as well hand out The Complete Works Of William Shakespeare. They won't understand that either.

Yes,charging someone for PPs will
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #468
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWorld
Of course it would plummet because it wouldn't be "The Summer Place to be". It would be the April throgh mid October Place to be and people would stop caring. Instead of a short window to visit Saratoga, it would be a long boring mess. Go back to the NFL example. Would there be constant sell outs with a 32 week seaon?

My suggestion is to get rid of over regulation. Drop the two boards that over see the NYRA and things improve dramatically.
If the NFL were able to abuse its players the way racing does horses, there probably would be longer seasons. NFL bettors have plenty of stamina for once-a-week play as do racing's weekend warriors.

What type of players besides professionals want to maintain lots of racing dates with low-quality fields?

I think Saratoga's appeal is stronger than you think, espcially during the time students are out of school (and seeking action/entertainment), and many non-students are taking vacations in the area. The start of many two-year-old campaigns are also a big attraction as is Travers day.

IMO racing in both NY and CA are operated and regulated by the wrong people/interests, and horseplayers need to become recognized stake-holders. There's an organization called "Bladerunners" that is supposedly trying to get support for federal oversight of racing. The little I've read suggests horseplayers aren't involved yet.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #469
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
If the NFL were able to abuse its players the way racing does horses, there probably would be longer seasons. NFL bettors have plenty of stamina for once-a-week play as do racing's weekend warriors.

What type of players besides professionals want to maintain lots of racing dates with low-quality fields?

I think Saratoga's appeal is stronger than you think, espcially during the time students are out of school (and seeking action/entertainment), and many non-students are taking vacations in the area. The start of many two-year-old campaigns are also a big attraction as is Travers day.

IMO racing in both NY and CA are operated and regulated by the wrong people/interests, and horseplayers need to become recognized stake-holders. There's an organization called "Bladerunners" that is supposedly trying to get support for federal oversight of racing. The little I've read suggests horseplayers aren't involved yet.
Federal oversight of racing might be even dumber than you thinking Saratoga could run for 6 months per year.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #470
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios
Thank you Dahoss! Racing has its problems, but it is not nearly as bad as Gorens post. Things happen at work, home, sports, and horse racing isn't the only sport that has some problems. And to Canarsie, I think that Gorens post are tasteless, so I have a right to say so also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios
Do me a favor Mr. Goren, don't go to the track, and leave us alone. Your local track will be OK without your $2.00
Above is what you said which is classless. If that's what you call "tasteless" you need to be reeducated.

How would you respond if your son and daughter was told that by a teacher? Only one can imagine your reaction.

How would you react if I used the same exact words you stated and directed them at you?

How DARE you say "US" please don't EVER speak for me. Like I stated before Mr. Goren and I are in complete disagreement on this issue. If you really dislike him just use the ignore or block button.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #471
usedtolovetvg

Quote:

Every business has its saturation point. Racing continued adding tracks and dates rather than contracting, which they should have done years ago. I doubt baseball would be a screaming financial success if not for its lucrative TV contract. Horse racing has no such luxury.

Last edited by usedtolovetvg; 05-16-2012 at 03:11 PM.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #472
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

There were way more tracks back in the Golden Age of Racing than there are now.. So when was this expansion going on when there should have been contraction?
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #473
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Federal oversight of racing might be even dumber than you thinking Saratoga could run for 6 months per year.
Spoken like someone with little to say, but desperate to say it.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #474
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
There were way more tracks back in the Golden Age of Racing than there are now.. So when was this expansion going on when there should have been contraction?
They didn't race year round. The advent of simulcasting saw more people wanting to get in on the action. The failure to embrace the internet in the 90s was the beginning of the end. Once the tracks needed to be propped up by artificial means, that should have been a wake up call that at some point they would have to be self-sufficient or perish. This stuff does not happen overnight but that's why executives are paid the big bucks, to foresee the future. They did not see or even anticipate what was down the road. Keeneland does it right. Now, whether that was on purpose or dictated by the allocation of race dates, I do not know, but they haven't experienced the precipitous drop in both attendance and handle that we have seen elsewhere.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #475
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

A boutique meet in the heart of the world's horse country, propped up by sales revenues. Nothing compares, cause nothing else is like it. What else ya got?
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #476
NTamm1215

Quote:
Spoken like someone with little to say, but desperate to say it.
This coming from someone that has been making a ridiculous argument for almost 24 hours. The whole time not realizing that the reason NYRA operates 3 racetracks is because the state (yes, the state that is attempting to shut them down now) mandates they run 250 days per year. That makes consolidation a little difficult.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #477
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
A boutique meet in the heart of the world's horse country, propped up by sales revenues. Nothing compares, cause nothing else is like it. What else ya got?
That was not the question that you had originally asked. Years ago, I predicted that if racing was to survive it would end up being more like short meetings in locations similar to Keeneland. Saratoga won't go away unless they dilute the product and extend the meet too long. Del Mar should be much shorter from my perspective. No track should race for 6 months like a lot do now. In England, most meetings last 5 to 10 days. There are well attended but the betting there is a problem which is not part of this discussion.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #478
Indulto
Veteran

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/May162012b.shtml
NYRA Statement – Wednesday, May 16
By: Dan Silver
Quote:
… Furthermore, neither the Racing and Wagering Board nor the Franchise Oversight Board has authority over the naming of officers by the NYRA Board of Directors.
Quote:

The suggestion in the May 15, 2012 letter from Chairman Sabini and Chairman Megna that the NYRA Board and other NYRA executives have a potential role in the improper take-out investigation, thereby making the NYRA Board’s action inappropriate, is flawed. This reasoning would effectively paralyze the corporation based on innuendo. The Inspector General’s investigation is ongoing and there should not be a rush to judgment until a final report is issued, and due process is provided.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #479
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
That was not the question that you had originally asked. Years ago, I predicted that if racing was to survive it would end up being more like short meetings in locations similar to Keeneland.
Most answers about racing that begin with some variation on the theme of "Follow the Keeneland model..." are going to run into some trouble. Exactly how many locations "similar to Keeneland" have you ever counted? Every racing venue should be so lucky as to host the sale of thousands of horses for hundreds of millions of dollars every year. But then again, who would all of those horses be sold to, and where would they all go?

I love so many things about Keeneland, and have lived only a couple of miles away from it for most of my life, but even I will admit that Keeneland needs many places for its sale graduates to venture off to and owners to take them there. I do consider Keeneland to be a "model" of sorts- but mostly just for other venues that may find themselves sitting on giant piles of sales commissions.

And that number is?

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #480
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
This coming from someone that has been making a ridiculous argument for almost 24 hours. The whole time not realizing that the reason NYRA operates 3 racetracks is because the state (yes, the state that is attempting to shut them down now) mandates they run 250 days per year. That makes consolidation a little difficult.
And a mind-reader too!