Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
NY BRED
GARY

AQU 01/09/16 RACE 3

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WONDER IF THIS GAME
REALLY MAKES SENSE.

CORNELIO RIDES FOR DAVID JACOBSON ON ROOM FOR ME.

THE HEAVY FAV IS LA vERDAD, LINDA IS THE TRAINER,
CORNELIO IS THE JOCK FOR A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HER HORSES..

LET'S SUPPOSE AFTER A HEAVY PACE DUEL ETC, CORNELIO
WINS THE RACE. WHERE WOULD HE BE ON FUTURE MOUNTS
FOR LINDA, OR FOR THAT MATTER DAVID J?

WHILE I REALIZE HE'D LOVE TO WIN THE RACE AS JOSE ORTIZ
IS THE REGULAR JOCK, i SIMPLY FIND THIS SCENARIO
BIAZZARE GIVEN THE SHORTENED BIG A MEETING AND SMALL
FIELDS...

Last edited by NY BRED; 01-09-2016 at 01:13 PM.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
no breathalyzer
Veteran

I'M INTERESTED TO SEE IF THIS POST GETS DELETED
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
bello
Veteran

Don't worry, it will only get deleted after I chime in, despite how benign my comments are...oooops sorry
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WONDER IF THIS GAME
REALLY MAKES SENSE.

CORNELIO RIDES FOR DAVID JACOBSON ON ROOM FOR ME.

THE HEAVY FAV IS LA vERDAD, LINDA IS THE TRAINER,
CORNELIO IS THE JOCK FOR A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF HER HORSES..

LET'S SUPPOSE AFTER A HEAVY PACE DUEL ETC, CORNELIO
WINS THE RACE. WHERE WOULD HE BE ON FUTURE MOUNTS
FOR LINDA, OR FOR THAT MATTER DAVID J?

WHILE I REALIZE HE'D LOVE TO WIN THE RACE AS JOSE ORTIZ
IS THE REGULAR JOCK, i SIMPLY FIND THIS SCENARIO
BIAZZARE GIVEN THE SHORTENED BIG A MEETING AND SMALL
FIELDS...
Read post 3, similar situation w CV riding for Linda
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...light=Cornelio
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Really? Realllllly? I assume you think Cornelio's agent should have declined the mount "Sorry, we can't ride your horse in a stake race because we might upset another trainer who is using a different jockey"
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail
Really? Realllllly? I assume you think Cornelio's agent should have declined the mount "Sorry, we can't ride your horse in a stake race because we might upset another trainer who is using a different jockey"
That's not what he's saying.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
That's not what he's saying.
He's saying the rider probably didn't try to win for fear of losing future mounts. If that was the case, why take the mount?

Does anyone think pressing La Verdad is some great strategy?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He's saying the rider probably didn't try to win for fear of losing future mounts. If that was the case, why take the mount?

Your insistence on using logic is counterproductive to these types of threads.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Because if you wrangle and stay far back, you can get 2nd and turn a profit.

Also I think there's a difference between pressing and sitting a length off the lead, no reason to go after her and push head/head, but why be 3 lengths behind?
Old 01-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Because if you wrangle and stay far back, you can get 2nd and turn a profit.

Also I think there's a difference between pressing and sitting a length off the lead, no reason to go after her and push head/head, but why be 3 lengths behind?
You think it is easy to stay a length behind? She runs the turn as well as any horse in the country.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You think it is easy to stay a length behind? She runs the turn as well as any horse in the country.
Excuse the ignorance see Cj how can someone see that?What would i look for?
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
Excuse the ignorance see Cj how can someone see that?What would i look for?
I've followed her her entire career. Check out her PPs and look how many times she increases the lead during the turn. Most horses are trying to get better position for the stretch run and she is opening the gap. It is her best asset.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I've followed her her entire career. Check out her PPs and look how many times she increases the lead during the turn. Most horses are trying to get better position for the stretch run and she is opening the gap. It is her best asset.
Yep she increases sometimes by 2 or 3 lengths enough where if she tires she still can hold on
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
As a guy who's bet against La Verdad three times under the theory i thought she'd get in a speed duel which never happened I can attest to the accuracy of CJ's info. She's quicker than she even looks. All those 1's on the form were earned.

As for this theory that Cornelio would cut Jose Ortiz slack because they both ride for Linda Rice this is literally the opposite of how things work. These guys don't work at an accounting firm. You don't get a promotion for being the guy who shows up with donuts and tells the boss he likes his tie. Jockey's get more and better mounts by winning races. You lose races you get less and worse mounts. It's generally that simple.

So Cornelio stiffs his horse and then most likely loses the mount on that horse. Ortiz wins so he retains that mount and probably more for the barn. And what would Rice give him? A couple additional mounts on cheap claimers? This makes no sense. How about he wants to beat La Verdad because by winning he retains his current mount and La Verdad's owners are more likely to request him on their horses since he rides for Rice.

Again the jockey's room is not like where we work. It's super competitive and the closer is a guy to your food and your meal ticket the more you want to beat him.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
As a guy who's bet against La Verdad three times under the theory i thought she'd get in a speed duel which never happened I can attest to the accuracy of CJ's info. She's quicker than she even looks. All those 1's on the form were earned.

As for this theory that Cornelio would cut Jose Ortiz slack because they both ride for Linda Rice this is literally the opposite of how things work. These guys don't work at an accounting firm. You don't get a promotion for being the guy who shows up with donuts and tells the boss he likes his tie. Jockey's get more and better mounts by winning races. You lose races you get less and worse mounts. It's generally that simple.

So Cornelio stiffs his horse and then most likely loses the mount on that horse. Ortiz wins so he retains that mount and probably more for the barn. And what would Rice give him? A couple additional mounts on cheap claimers? This makes no sense. How about he wants to beat La Verdad because by winning he retains his current mount and La Verdad's owners are more likely to request him on their horses since he rides for Rice.

Again the jockey's room is not like where we work. It's super competitive and the closer is a guy to your food and your meal ticket the more you want to beat him.
I agree, I often see Irad and Jose battling each other on the track, you would never know they're related based on how hard they battle each other, good post.