Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #1
Vince P 777

Breeders' Cup Ticket Gouging - Still Attending?

I have attended every Breeders' Cup with the exception of the first one in 1984 (I was still in diapers) and the one in France (Woodbine) in 1996.

Normally I purchase Reserved Seats and have paid anywhere from $500 - $1,000 for two seats, for two days starting in 1997, for my wife and I. Prior to that it was a One Day event and reserved seats were much, much less, around $75- $175 or so, depending on location, Clubhouse or Grandstand, etc. Obviously prices go up, as they should every year. I get that.

However, this year the BC has almost Double ticket prices in almost every area, and in some cases, Quadrupled prices.

I.e. G.A. went from $50 last year at Santa Anita to $200 this year at DM for Saturday.

I have no doubt horse owners, trainers, horse related businesses, sponsors, bookies, etc, will have no hesitation purchasing tickets at any price. And many folks like me will eventually get suckered into going again because we love the BC, especially attending workouts the few days before the big days.

But I did Pass on the Early Bird purchase period that is always open to previous BC attendees because I was hesitant to pay $1,200 - $1,500 for seats that probably were out of a decent view of the races.

Also, what I can't see happening, is the everyday player who normally pays $5-$10, or even $50 for the BC for G.A, now having to pay $200.00 to attend on Saturday. That's crazy. BC also has a $25.00 delivery charge for G.A. tickets. Yes, for General Admission tickets. So if someone wants to go on Saturday and stand in the G.A area, they have to fork over $225 just for Saturday.

I just can't see the everyday player doing that. I did notice that for Infield tickets you can simply print them out and they're "only" $133 for Saturday.

I wonder if the BC is doing this in order to keep attendance down, and not flood the grandstand.

I'll most likely still attend, as we have a condo booked in Oceanside for BC week but there is a point I feel, that crosses the line with ticket price gouging.

Has the Breeders' Cup become that super greedy?

Are you all planning to attend at any cost?

Vince P
Vince P 777 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2024, 10:13 PM   #2
wisconsin

People keep paying. I used to purchase tickets to the Kentucky Derby until I was priced out. It's insane what people are willing to pay nowadays for the big days.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #3
HorsemenHeist

I'd imagine that Del Mar's capacity being 37,500 influences the ticket price.

That being said, there is some sticker shock when prices are 50% higher than they were the last time the Breeders Cup was at Del Mar. And the 2021 experience was a lot worse than 2017 IMO. 2021, it took hours to get out on Friday and there was basically no food offerings other than fair type food for us commoners in the grandstand. 2017 had some intriguing food truck offerings in the infield and was actually a pleasant place to be.

The thing that puts me off for the cost for Breeders Cup tickets is knowing you are subsidizing junkets for many of the takeout merchants, enablers, and hangers on that are bringing the sport down. Breeders that are decimating the breed with lightly raced fragile stock have their names all over the program. All the mediocre talent from BC sponsors that you have to hear over the loudspeaker all day. The overzealous vets that order dubious scratches all in the effort to appease PETA, an organization whose goal is to end horse racing.

The increased price certainly plays a factor, but my overall jaded feeling about the sport would be the overriding reason I will not be attending after going every time it's been in California since 2011. I do not want to pay good money to a sport that does not seem interested in helping itself survive for future viability.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 09:15 AM   #4
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince P 777 View Post

I just can't see the everyday player doing that. I did notice that for Infield tickets you can simply print them out and they're "only" $133 for Saturday.

I wonder if the BC is doing this in order to keep attendance down, and not flood the grandstand.

I'll most likely still attend, as we have a condo booked in Oceanside for BC week but there is a point I feel, that crosses the line with ticket price gouging.

Vince P
Welcome to the system for buying tickets to every in-demand concert and sporting event. The system only works in favor of the sellers and is based on demand. As long as people (or ticket brokers) will spend $500 or $1000 a ticket, nothing will change.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 09:55 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I personally decided last year was it. I'd rather keep the money and use it to bet and go for a big score.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #6
speldedo

I too was shocked and will not be attending this year for the first time in a long time.
speldedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 02:06 PM   #7
GMB@BP

If people pay it then its not overpriced.

If people pull back then I check secondary markets, and this is for all live events, at the late stages to see if there are any deals.

For example Dbacks tickets usually face around $80 where I like to site but usually can get them for $40 day of. Of course they changed the laws in Az recently on how these 3rd party tix can operate so that may be depressing the prices.

When I just turned 19 I went to SA for the 93' BC, was in line for GA and these 3 irish guys in front of me were like, hey our 4th couldnt come, want his ticket...$20 bucks. Was at the 8th pole. might have been best tix i have got to that event and i have been to 10 of them. Maybe 03' at SA i was near finish line but not nearly as high up so view was so so. Was close enough to see Adoration score at 35/1 or so wire to wire under pval ( :
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 05:39 PM   #8
Brass Hat

When I started following the sport around 2000. I thought that we would go to the Breeders Cup every year. We didn't, skipped Lone Star, went to 2003 at Santa Anita, and the first at Del Mar. Enjoyed the Del Mar BC immensely. Even enjoyed Monmouth despite the bad weather. One of the things I like about the BC is talking to different people from different parts of the country; horseracing fans for the most part are very friendly people.

We are priced out though, and it is easier to stay home, listen to commentators, and spend the money wagering. It is not for the average fan anymore.

My feeling about it is that horse racing is a declining sport and the people in charge want to make as much as they can before the good times end. I agree with everything HorsemanHeist said about the breeders.

The Sunday before the Fasig-Tipton sale at Saratoga Shug McGaughy raced a horse that cost over 2 million. The horse couldn't run and didn't run in that race either. I am surprised no one convinced him to scratch the horse.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 07:21 PM   #9
classhandicapper

Some if it is just the general inflation of the last few years, but these big race days are becoming PR opportunities and "events" for the rich and famous. The peons like us that actually bet on the races and support it all year are an afterthought.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-08-2024 at 07:23 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #10
IamNewt

1984 you were in diapers, so 2 years old?
1985 you make it to BC at 3. Did you drive there?
1997 you and wife get reserved seats? So, married at 15?

Oh, and Woodbine? It's in Toronto, not France.

IamNewt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 08:27 PM   #11
horsefan2019

The capacity limitations allow them to jack up the price and keep the regular Joe's out. Went to the couple of Breeders Cup at Santa Anita and I don't think they will ever open up the capacity up again even though that place could probably accommodate everyone who wants to go.
horsefan2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 09:44 PM   #12
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince P 777 View Post
I have attended every Breeders' Cup with the exception of the first one in 1984 (I was still in diapers) and the one in France (Woodbine) in 1996.

Normally I purchase Reserved Seats and have paid anywhere from $500 - $1,000 for two seats, for two days starting in 1997, for my wife and I. Prior to that it was a One Day event and reserved seats were much, much less, around $75- $175 or so, depending on location, Clubhouse or Grandstand, etc. Obviously prices go up, as they should every year. I get that.

However, this year the BC has almost Double ticket prices in almost every area, and in some cases, Quadrupled prices.

I.e. G.A. went from $50 last year at Santa Anita to $200 this year at DM for Saturday.

I have no doubt horse owners, trainers, horse related businesses, sponsors, bookies, etc, will have no hesitation purchasing tickets at any price. And many folks like me will eventually get suckered into going again because we love the BC, especially attending workouts the few days before the big days.

But I did Pass on the Early Bird purchase period that is always open to previous BC attendees because I was hesitant to pay $1,200 - $1,500 for seats that probably were out of a decent view of the races.

Also, what I can't see happening, is the everyday player who normally pays $5-$10, or even $50 for the BC for G.A, now having to pay $200.00 to attend on Saturday. That's crazy. BC also has a $25.00 delivery charge for G.A. tickets. Yes, for General Admission tickets. So if someone wants to go on Saturday and stand in the G.A area, they have to fork over $225 just for Saturday.

Vince P
I suggest taking what you would have spent on the BC, and spending it for a full week at Keeneland this coming October. It might rekindle your love for the game. A week there helped do that for me.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 09:46 PM   #13
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
I suggest taking what you would have spent on the BC, and spending it for a full week at Keeneland this coming October. It might rekindle your love for the game. A week there helped do that for me.
This is a brilliant suggestion.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2024, 10:49 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
If people pay it then its not overpriced.

If people pull back then I check secondary markets, and this is for all live events, at the late stages to see if there are any deals.

For example Dbacks tickets usually face around $80 where I like to site but usually can get them for $40 day of. Of course they changed the laws in Az recently on how these 3rd party tix can operate so that may be depressing the prices.

When I just turned 19 I went to SA for the 93' BC, was in line for GA and these 3 irish guys in front of me were like, hey our 4th couldnt come, want his ticket...$20 bucks. Was at the 8th pole. might have been best tix i have got to that event and i have been to 10 of them. Maybe 03' at SA i was near finish line but not nearly as high up so view was so so. Was close enough to see Adoration score at 35/1 or so wire to wire under pval ( :
Having been there last year, it was far from full.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2024, 01:14 AM   #15
Vince P 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This is a brilliant suggestion.
Couldn't agree more.

Although heard April is also a gorgeous time to go.

Spent a week in Lexington in 2015 and 2022 during BCs.

Beautiful area, beautiful people, beautiful track, beautiful farms and horses.

Also greatest library in world.

I even ate Burgoo at Keeneland on advice of friendly waitress. Delicious.

Can't wait to go back.

Vince
Vince P 777 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply