Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #121
horses4courses

Somebody just nudged the fat lady......

Stick a fork in Teddy Boy.........gonzo
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #122
fast4522

I just do not see where Ted Cruz can win again, if nominated I would be for the guy. Not getting the nomination because of lack of path, anyone's short list is highly unlikely.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #123
horses4courses

Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #124
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Alright, that one is funny!~
Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #125
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
I think the argument that Cruz is ineligible is kinda strong. It certainly should be settled beforehand, because who knows what the court might say. Of course I think he has little chance of being the nominee and zero chance of being elected if he were, but it still should be settled so we don't have these dumb arguments about eligibility with every cycle.

In my mind, the key to the argument is that the presidency is a constitutionally defined job and one of the branches of government. So even if you have a law says explicitly that if you are foreign born of US citizens, you are to be designated "natural born citizen", that law is totally irrelevant. That applies to everybody and in all circumstances BUT determining presidential eligibility.

Why? Because...Congress can make no law to change the eligibility requirements of the presidency. That would be be overriding the Constitution and a breach of the separation of powers. Changing such requirements would require a constitutional amendment. Just as if they passed a law that said that president must be college educated, or something like that -- blatantly unconstitutional, right? So whatever definitions or traditions about who gets to be a citizen (that isn't a natural born citizen) that are in laws but not the Constitution itself don't apply, and can't apply to presidential eligibility. Presidential eligibility MUST be defined in the Constitution, and the Constitution only. (Put another way, it is only what the Constitution says about it that matters, nothing else. Except of course a supreme court decision interpreting what the Constitution says about it.)

So... it is up to the court to decide if "natural born" includes foreign born or not, BUT not because of any law. And then one has to ask...if it was supposed to include foreign born, then why was a law ever necessary to make them citizens also when it was already right there in the Constitution? So the very fact that there were/are laws specifying that foreign born to US citizen parents are to be considered natural born can actually be used as an argument that there is a single exception to that -- the president, where those laws constitutionally cannot apply.

That all sounds very logical, but that's not what I got out of the article. I came away from it thinking there isn't a much of a chance that any court would rule him ineligible for the presidency and no mainstream people on either side of the aisle would even bother going to court over it. If there was a lawsuit, it would be from some fringe group trying to cause trouble and right or wrong they would lose.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #126
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
That all sounds very logical, but that's not what I got out of the article. I came away from it thinking there isn't a much of a chance that any court would rule him ineligible for the presidency and no mainstream people on either side of the aisle would even bother going to court over it. If there was a lawsuit, it would be from some fringe group trying to cause trouble and right or wrong they would lose.
I didn't get that logic from the article (although I have seen it elsewhere), but it seems more fundamental to me. But Cruz is so hated that I guarantee every challenge that can be made will be made, at least if it appears he is going to be the nominee (or is the nominee, or is even elected and it isn't yet settled). But it doesn't look like he has a big chance now, so probably nothing will happen. (And I maintain Cruz is totally unelectable no matter his status.) Anyway, Alan Grayson has already promised to sue, and now here we have an actual suit. Trump may even sue if Cruz becomes a real threat. Or maybe some state will refuse to put him on the ballot, and Cruz will have to sue on his own behalf to prove his case. We'll see...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #127
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Alright, that one is funny!~
Yeah.
Sometimes you have to laugh.

One thing we can both agree on.
There's no shortage of politicians
having a laugh at our expense.
On both sides of the aisle.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #128
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
At least you can now admit that Obama's "birther nonsense" had nothing to do with him being black. Republicans are equal opportunity birthers, no matter the person's skin color.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #129
azeri98

Cruz fired his mouthpiece today. He tweeted that Rubio said "you won't find any answers in the bible". This guy will do or say anything to win. Lower than a weasel.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #130
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
Cruz fired his mouthpiece today. He tweeted that Rubio said "you won't find any answers in the bible". This guy will do or say anything to win. Lower than a weasel.
It's about time. He should have cleaned house right after the incident with Carson in Iowa. I was firmly in is camp, willing to go down in flames in the election, but he lost me when he didn't do anything about that. That's also probably why he didn't do so well with evangelicals in South Carolina.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #131
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

ted

is a real mess from the Carson thing to the Rubio photoshop fraud till this Thing with the rick tyler video....enough is enough amazing he will win Texas though and he still has support.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #132
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
If this Canadian-dipstick can't control his campaign staff, how can anyone expect him to control the country?

Cruz is a loser. A liar. A fraud. A jerk.
And an honorary POS.

Last edited by Tom; 02-22-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #133
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

agreed

what Tom said..... 100%
Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #134
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
If this Canadian-dipstick can't control his campaign staff, how can anyone expect him to control the country?

Cruz is a loser. A liar. A fraud. A jerk.
And an honorary POS.
And he is more conservative than Rubio and Trump.

The anchor baby is the biggest disappointment in the entire race.

Last edited by reckless; 02-22-2016 at 09:59 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #135
woodtoo

Caitlyn Jenner is for Cruz.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply