Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
aaron

Disqualification for hitting horse with whip

Does anyone know the rule in NY about a DQ for hitting a horse with a whip. Is this an automatic DQ ?
I don't think it is. I remember an owner taking a DQ to court and having the decision reversed. I think it was for getting hit with a whip,but I am not sure.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Sly7449

More info on the circumstances would help. Did the jockey strike an adjacent horse with his whip? Was it to the face?

What race are you referencing?

Added info needed.
Sly7449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly7449
More info on the circumstances would help. Did the jockey strike an adjacent horse with his whip? Was it to the face?

What race are you referencing?

Added info needed.
He isn't asking about a specific race. He is asking if there is a rule in place that says striking another horse is cause for an automatic DQ.

I don't believe it is in New York.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
aaron

CJ is correct. I am asking for the rule. At one time,I thought it was an automatic DQ,but I don't think it ever was an automatic DQ. Also,I don't believe I have ever seen a horse stay up when the jockey has struck another horse. If anyone remembers an incident when a horse as stayed up,please feel free to comment.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
CJ is correct. I am asking for the rule. At one time,I thought it was an automatic DQ,but I don't think it ever was an automatic DQ. Also,I don't believe I have ever seen a horse stay up when the jockey has struck another horse. If anyone remembers an incident when a horse as stayed up,please feel free to comment.
I have seen it happen, I just don't recall the exact race right now or where it took place.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I have seen it happen, I just don't recall the exact race right now or where it took place.
Thanks,
I wouldn't expect you to remember the exact race or where it took place.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Sly7449

This may help:

http://www.racing.ny.gov/Sec4035.1-4039.22.php#4035.2

(d) A jockey shall not ride carelessly or willfully such that his mount, equipment, or any item or object under his or her control interferes with, impedes, intimidates, or injures another horse or jockey in the race, including that a jockey shall not carelessly or willfully strike another horse or jockey or his or her equipment with his or her whip. The stewards may disqualify the horse ridden by the jockey who committed the foul if the foul was willful or careless or may have altered the finish of the race; the stewards may also take into consideration mitigating factors such as whether the impeded horse was partly at fault or if the foul was caused by the fault of some other horse or jockey.

http://www.racing.ny.gov/subchapterA_tb.php
Sly7449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

This question came up a while back. NY allows for a judgement call but if memory serves, some jurisdictions, though don't recall which, make it an automatic DQ. Again from memory, those seemed to be in the minority.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
This question came up a while back. NY allows for a judgement call but if memory serves, some jurisdictions, though don't recall which, make it an automatic DQ. Again from memory, those seemed to be in the minority.
( HERE'S THE RULE IN CALIFORNIA)

Rule No.</FONT> Rule Title</FONT>1688 Use of Whips.Rule Text(a) In all races where a jockey will not ride with a whip, an announcement shall be made over the public address system of such fact. (b) Although the use of a whip is not required, any jockey who uses a whip during a race is prohibited from whipping a horse: (1) on the head, flanks, or on any part of its body other than the shoulders or hind quarters; (2) during the post parade except when necessary to control the horse; (3) excessively or brutally causing welts or breaks in the skin; (4) when the horse is clearly out of the race or has obtained its maximum placing; or (5) persistently even though the horse is showing no response under the whip. (c) Correct uses of the whip are: (1) showing horses the whip before hitting them; (2) using the whip in rhythm with the horse's stride; and (3) using the whip as an aid to maintain a horse running straight. NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420, 19440 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19440, 19481 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. Amendment filed 6-4-93; effective 7-5-93. 2. Amendment filed 12-23-96; effective 1-22-97.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
v j stauffer

(and)

Rule No.</FONT> Rule Title</FONT>1699 Riding Rules.Rule TextDuring the running of the race: (a) A leading horse is entitled to any part of the course but when another horse is attempting to pass in a clear opening the leading horse shall not cross over so as to compel the passing horse to shorten its stride. (b) A horse shall not interfere with or cause any other horse to lose stride, ground or position in a part of the race where the horse loses the opportunity to place where it might be reasonably expected to finish. (c) A horse which interferes with another and thereby causes any other horse to lose stride, ground or position, when such other horse is not at fault and when such interference occurs in a part of the race where the horse interfered with loses the opportunity to place where it might, in the opinion of the Stewards, be reasonably expected to finish, may be disqualified and placed behind the horse so interfered with. (d) Jockeys shall not ride carelessly, or willfully, so as to permit their mount to interfere with or impede any other horse. (e) Jockeys shall not willfully strike or strike at another horse or jockey so as to impede, interfere with, intimidate, or injure. (f) If a jockey rides in a manner contrary to this rule, the mount may be disqualified and the jockey may be suspended or otherwise disciplined by the Stewards. NOTE: Authority cited: Section 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19461 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. Amendment filed 4-21-83; effective 5-21-83. 2. Amendment filed 8-13-97; effective 9-12-97
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
goatchaser

Vic....are you thinking of Becoming a Steward again?
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
Vic....are you thinking of Becoming a Steward again?
I still am a steward. The question is whether I will be assigned at the Fairs again this summer. We'll see. Lots and lots of VERY qualified people and only a few openings. Especially now with Cal-Expo down to running 2 days a week. If assigned I will be thrilled to serve. If not I will totally understand how the numbers work.

V J S
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
goatchaser

The rule states it seems if the jock willingly hits another horse..>i don't think one jock has ever intentionaly tried to hit a horse with his whip. maybe another jock..But not the horse. What are your thoughts since you are a steward?
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
The rule states it seems if the jock willingly hits another horse..>i don't think one jock has ever intentionaly tried to hit a horse with his whip. maybe another jock..But not the horse. What are your thoughts since you are a steward?
I have seen instances where an opposing jockey has intentionally tried to hit BOTH the horse and rider. Most times at lower levels than we have here in California. But not always.

Sometimes for a tactical advantage. Sometimes out of anger.

Each case is judged on it's own dynamics and discussed by all three stewards.

As for me. In these hypothetical situations. For the tactical I could see my decision being to get into his pocket for a few hundred.

Anger. He could be looking at days depending on the severity and ultimate outcome.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 03-06-2012 at 01:33 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
railbird

I seem to remember a race at Aquaduct years ago when a jock on the rail struck the nose of a rival to his outside and getting placed last ,whether they thought it was intentional or not I don"t know