Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #136
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

More gibberish from Fast5150...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
What are you talking about? Things have not changed in the last 20, and it is very doubtful that there will be any change between now and 20 years after we are gone. First the amount of money you have and what you are willing to part with in order to legally own one is big (very deep pockets), perhaps as it should be. Also is the guy (rare bird) who as a living spends large numbers of months working in other countrys with their automatic guns, on a norm they work for companys who pay the $400 federal tax every time the firearm is moved in transport to destinations and returned to the USA. That $400 federal tax will be here long after we are all gone. You should not be so naive.

Nah man...what are you talking about?
You need help

PS - countries, companies
Old 05-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #137
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
A .223/5.56 is not a particularly lethal round. Just waaaay more than a .22LR.

Again though this is the education component of all of it.

Part of my whole education, registration, background checks, and waiting periods...

None of those should upset any reasonable gun owners at this point but it literally can't even get a vote in Congress.
You have reminded us more than once about your education pertaining to weapons/military. What exactly is your educational background if you don't mind me asking? I thought you were a lender of some kind?
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #138
xtb

While it appears that this murderer purchased his weapons legally, I will say this about crimes involving guns, of which the vast, vast majority are illegal. About 5 years ago I was touring our local police dept. with my son's cub scout den. There were monitors around the station playing a continuous slideshow with descriptions of all open investigations, I believe for the county but perhaps farther out. I was amazed at the number of burglaries where guns were stolen. Easily more than half of all crimes being shown. One case really stood out, there was a huge safe, practically walk-in where you could see big holes cut through with a torch. There would have been many dozens of stolen guns on the streets as a result of just this one burglary. I'm guessing that FFL holders were targeted in most of these cases. It is very easy to find out who has an FFL and you would be surprised at how many there are, not that there is anything wrong with that. But, I would not at all be opposed to more stringent requirements for securing firearms such as whole house security with cameras for FFL holders. And at the risk of being accused of victim blaming, perhaps there should be consequences for those who have had their guns stolen on multiple occasions.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #139
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Criminal don't care about laws... and Bureaucrats often don't enforce them or turn a blind eye. Hunter Biden's gun crimes for example. So what good are more laws on the books. How bout we stop worrying about how the criminal feels, who they are related to or the color of there skin being taken into account. Justice is suppose to be blind. When they coddle them or make excuses instead of handing down consequences for their action... it emboldens other to act with the knowledge little or nothing will happen to them. I know that is abit more then the knee jerk... we have to something to make political hay while the blood is still wet.

But I tell you what... lets tack on voter ID requirement and verification. A little give and take common sense.
Something as simple as background checks and waiting periods have nothing to do with literally anything in the above post.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:31 AM   #140
xtb

Quote:
Something as simple as background checks and waiting periods have nothing to do with literally anything in the above post.
While not super extensive, there is NICS.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #141
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
You have reminded us more than once about your education pertaining to weapons/military. What exactly is your educational background if you don't mind me asking? I thought you were a lender of some kind?
I've never been in the military.

I'm a avid shooter/hunter who builds a lot of my own guns, handloads, etc.

Hunting, shooting, and training hunting dogs are my hobbies.

That said a 22LR isn't in the same category as really any centerfire round. My deer hunting AR in a .450 Bushmaster leaves the barrel with 2200+ ft/lb and even the .17Rem (the smallest centerfire) carries 850ish.

The comparisons are apples and oranges and just create more confusion than help.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #142
elysiantraveller

Quote:
While not super extensive, there is NICS.
NICS is a fine system. It's just not mandated for all firearm transactions.

Example;

The "gun show loophole" is a myth and closing it wouldn't really prevent and of this... but it's a talking point of the gun control crowd.

Why is something as simple as just closing it a complete non-starter among the Pro-2A crowd.

It makes no damn sense.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #143
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's similar to the abortion rights crowd. Historically, neither wants to give an inch for fear the whole thing will be taken away.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #144
xtb

Quote:

That said a 22LR isn't in the same category as really any centerfire round. My deer hunting AR in a .450 Bushmaster leaves the barrel with 2200+ ft/lb and even the .17Rem (the smallest centerfire) carries 850ish.

The comparisons are apples and oranges and just create more confusion than help.
I don't disagree with anything you said here, not sure why you included it in your response to me about your education.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #145
elysiantraveller

Quote:
While it appears that this murderer purchased his weapons legally, I will say this about crimes involving guns, of which the vast, vast majority are illegal. About 5 years ago I was touring our local police dept. with my son's cub scout den. There were monitors around the station playing a continuous slideshow with descriptions of all open investigations, I believe for the county but perhaps farther out. I was amazed at the number of burglaries where guns were stolen. Easily more than half of all crimes being shown. One case really stood out, there was a huge safe, practically walk-in where you could see big holes cut through with a torch. There would have been many dozens of stolen guns on the streets as a result of just this one burglary. I'm guessing that FFL holders were targeted in most of these cases. It is very easy to find out who has an FFL and you would be surprised at how many there are, not that there is anything wrong with that. But, I would not at all be opposed to more stringent requirements for securing firearms such as whole house security with cameras for FFL holders. And at the risk of being accused of victim blaming, perhaps there should be consequences for those who have had their guns stolen on multiple occasions.
One idea I had heard recently that I didn't think was terrible is the idea of guns having "titles" similar to cars and simply registering them that way.

I understand the "slippery slopers" will say registration is just a means to confiscation but... come on... there are more privately owned firearms in this country than people.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #146
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's similar to the abortion rights crowd. Historically, neither wants to give an inch for fear the whole thing will be taken away.
Yeah but at this point I think that fear is just silly.

As a gun owner literally everything has gone our way the past 20 years.

Cops barely enforce existing gun laws.

Does anyone think a gun grab is on the horizon?
Old 05-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #147
xtb

Quote:
NICS is a fine system. It's just not mandated for all firearm transactions.

Example;

The "gun show loophole" is a myth and closing it wouldn't really prevent and of this... but it's a talking point of the gun control crowd.

Why is something as simple as just closing it a complete non-starter among the Pro-2A crowd.

It makes no damn sense.
Private sales do not always have to go through NICS but the seller is supposed to be responsible for any background checks. I know it is not enforced but the seller is liable in any civil suit down the road if the buyer was not vetted and injured/killed someone.

I wonder how many crimes are committed with guns purchased at gun shows? It seems we would be seeing actual data if it was a real problem, along with the screaming that we hear now.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #148
elysiantraveller

Edit)

One thing I would change though in contrast to some of the gun-control stuff is a change to how CCL's are issued.

A lot states operate on "May Issue" grounds. I would have that changed to "shall issue."

You complete the class and pass the checks you should be able to conceal carry and not leave it up to the whims of some magistrate.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #149
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Private sales do not always have to go through NICS but the seller is supposed to be responsible for any background checks. I know it is not enforced but the seller is liable in any civil suit down the road if the buyer was not vetted and injured/killed someone.

I wonder how many crimes are committed with guns purchased at gun shows? It seems we would be seeing actual data if it was a real problem, along with the screaming that we hear now.
To your first paragraph I think that's why titling and registering guns makes sense.

To your second... I don't really think it is to be honest. I don't have data to back it up but such a minor amount of sales in general occur at shows.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #150
xtb

Quote:
One idea I had heard recently that I didn't think was terrible is the idea of guns having "titles" similar to cars and simply registering them that way.

I understand the "slippery slopers" will say registration is just a means to confiscation but... come on... there are more privately owned firearms in this country than people.
Something like this was attempted here and failed miserably. Cuomo's so called "SAFE" Act required owners of AR-15's to register them with the state but Cuomo would not release the numbers. The case Robinson vs Cuomo forced NYS/Cuomo to release data regarding compliance and it was miniscule, something like 1%. Since it was well below some threshold, this part of the law was deemed un-enforceable.