Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
jk3521
Registered Loser

Attendance?

I'm not watching on t v . Any announcement of attendance at Belmont today?
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Longshot6977

I heard someone on channel 4 say at least 120,000 are expected. But nothing mentioned as of 6:20pm.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
tanner12oz

It was awfully crowded...i dont mind it being busy but I was having tote issues already @ 11am...infrastructure without a doubt can't handle it
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Some_One

Now the crowds aren't able to leave:

http://deadspin.com/leaving-the-belm...ter-1587682934
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_One
Now the crowds aren't able to leave:

http://deadspin.com/leaving-the-belm...ter-1587682934
What a nightmare.. Those poor people.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Saw this on twitter........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg parking.jpg (11.8 KB, 260 views)
Old 06-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Man, I couldn't believe how EASY it was to get out of the parking lot and I stayed until the horses crossed the finish line of the LAST race.

Now, I was heading south on the Cross Island...maybe all this trouble was with those heading north? Either way, I parked in the Yellow lot (at pretty much the FURTHEST POINT away from the track, where all the car dealerships were previously storing their inventory), and I've had MUCH TOUGHER times with past Belmont Stakes crowds that weren't anywhere near as big as this one was.

THIS CROWD WAS HUGE. The BIGGEST I think I've seen for the Belmont Stakes.

But again, I was absolutely SHOCKED that I was able to drive right out of the track WITHOUT STOPPING once I pulled out of my parking spot...so not sure where all this parking lot nightmare was happening.

I did see on the news that the Long Island Railroad was having a very difficult time handling the large crowds and was experiencing hour-long+ delays...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Man, I couldn't believe how EASY it was to get out of the parking lot and I stayed until the horses crossed the finish line of the LAST race.

Now, I was heading south on the Cross Island...maybe all this trouble was with those heading north? Either way, I parked in the Yellow lot (at pretty much the FURTHEST POINT away from the track, where all the car dealerships were previously storing their inventory), and I've had MUCH TOUGHER times with past Belmont Stakes crowds that weren't anywhere near as big as this one was.

THIS CROWD WAS HUGE. The BIGGEST I think I've seen for the Belmont Stakes.

But again, I was absolutely SHOCKED that I was able to drive right out of the track WITHOUT STOPPING once I pulled out of my parking spot...so not sure where all this parking lot nightmare was happening.

I did see on the news that the Long Island Railroad was having a very difficult time handling the large crowds and was experiencing hour-long+ delays...
Glad you got out ok and wow that you stayed till the nightcap

Nice meeting you today
Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
salty
undefined

How my day went with this enormous crowd........

I left my house at 5am in RI, picked up my cousin in CT and left there around 7, then pulled into the backstretch parking lot around 9:30.

So we ride in on the bus that was not even full which was great.

It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to get through the security wanders and two seconds through the turn style and we were in.

Right away we found an empty bench, the reason why it was empty being that it was completely covered in dirt. It completely surprised me that they did not wipe it down. I also saw a row of chairs by the escalators that were ridiculously dirty while on my way to the bathroom to empty out a paper towel machine.

So there we were about 10:30 just hanging out on the bench that we wiped down ourselves and showed up nice and early to grab. When the worst day of dealing with strangers commenced. First up is this big 70 something year old lady, she comes up to me and asks if she could sit on that bench because she cant walk any further. So I said no because I saw her intent on sitting there for the whole day. This lady tells me to **** ***. Yes for real i got cussed out by a 70 year old lady. She then wandered over to the next bench and pushed her way in and stayed there for the whole day. I KNEW IT!!! Then every minute for the next hour someone would bother to ask if they could sit down, NO! why should you sit down with your group of 4 and crowd my personal bubble before the first race has even gone off, its not even close to busy yet. I got a piece of cardboard and wrote NO! to hold up. Nope still had the taps on the shoulder, like i'm not busy reading the form. I let people sit down for a good reason, older couple needed to take their medicine, big guy was dieing in the sun, couple other people came over to get out of the sun and they were actually into having a conversation about the races. I mean if you want a seat at least contribute an idea on whatever crazy way of handicapping you have. As the day wore on and the people got drunker they wouldn't take no for an answer and would just plop down. Like I want to be sitting there with some dude that probably puked on himself next to me. Every once in awhile a good looking girl would take a seat for a bit, the only thing that held my sanity together............. kinda getting lost in my own rant......

Bottom line:

- I hate people

-The crowd was ridiculous

-The betting lines were way too long

-I hate people

-The bathroom was disgusting

-The card was awesome

-I probably talked to 2,000 people all day and only had an actual conversation with 2 of them.

As for the parking lot. Had to cash some friends tickets so we waited at the window for the official. Right after cashing i remember being in a solid herd of people. I swore we were all following each other into a dead end then somebody said, "Go to the crack!" Where I followed this sea of people and squeezed through a 3 foot gap between the glass wall and a stone pilar, straddled a floodlight or a generator, out a gap in a chain link fence to be stuck in a crowd caused by a truck being parked right in the middle of the walkway. Booked it to the car, jumped in, hit the gas, and was on the highway in less then 5 minutes.

I do not feel bad for all those morons that got stuck. I hope they were all the people that drove me 100% crazy all day!

Never going again unless i win free grandstand tickets.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #10
breezing

I had no problem entering or exiting however I also went south. Part of the issue was no one was directing traffic out of the lot nor was there any signage. I sat for 5 minutes in a line of cars and didn't move then decided to just go out the way I came it and breezed out of there. Mass of humanity there, many, many, many issues with venue but still managed to have a good time.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
breezing

Official attendance 102,199. "on-track handle of $19,105,877 and all-sources handle of $150,249,399 easily setting all-time NYRA records.".

http://www.nyra.com/belmont/mobile/2...takes-history/
Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
How my day went with this enormous crowd........

I left my house at 5am in RI, picked up my cousin in CT and left there around 7, then pulled into the backstretch parking lot around 9:30.

So we ride in on the bus that was not even full which was great.

It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to get through the security wanders and two seconds through the turn style and we were in.

Right away we found an empty bench, the reason why it was empty being that it was completely covered in dirt. It completely surprised me that they did not wipe it down. I also saw a row of chairs by the escalators that were ridiculously dirty while on my way to the bathroom to empty out a paper towel machine.

So there we were about 10:30 just hanging out on the bench that we wiped down ourselves and showed up nice and early to grab. When the worst day of dealing with strangers commenced. First up is this big 70 something year old lady, she comes up to me and asks if she could sit on that bench because she cant walk any further. So I said no because I saw her intent on sitting there for the whole day. This lady tells me to **** ***. Yes for real i got cussed out by a 70 year old lady. She then wandered over to the next bench and pushed her way in and stayed there for the whole day. I KNEW IT!!! Then every minute for the next hour someone would bother to ask if they could sit down, NO! why should you sit down with your group of 4 and crowd my personal bubble before the first race has even gone off, its not even close to busy yet. I got a piece of cardboard and wrote NO! to hold up. Nope still had the taps on the shoulder, like i'm not busy reading the form. I let people sit down for a good reason, older couple needed to take their medicine, big guy was dieing in the sun, couple other people came over to get out of the sun and they were actually into having a conversation about the races. I mean if you want a seat at least contribute an idea on whatever crazy way of handicapping you have. As the day wore on and the people got drunker they wouldn't take no for an answer and would just plop down. Like I want to be sitting there with some dude that probably puked on himself next to me. Every once in awhile a good looking girl would take a seat for a bit, the only thing that held my sanity together............. kinda getting lost in my own rant......

Bottom line:

- I hate people

-The crowd was ridiculous

-The betting lines were way too long

-I hate people

-The bathroom was disgusting

-The card was awesome

-I probably talked to 2,000 people all day and only had an actual conversation with 2 of them.

As for the parking lot. Had to cash some friends tickets so we waited at the window for the official. Right after cashing i remember being in a solid herd of people. I swore we were all following each other into a dead end then somebody said, "Go to the crack!" Where I followed this sea of people and squeezed through a 3 foot gap between the glass wall and a stone pilar, straddled a floodlight or a generator, out a gap in a chain link fence to be stuck in a crowd caused by a truck being parked right in the middle of the walkway. Booked it to the car, jumped in, hit the gas, and was on the highway in less then 5 minutes.

I do not feel bad for all those morons that got stuck. I hope they were all the people that drove me 100% crazy all day!

Never going again unless i win free grandstand tickets.

Thus the name "salty"
I spoke with my friend who lives on Long Island and his wife had gone with another couple. She is addicted to the lottery not horse racing but she went because it is such a big day. It was around 4:00 and he says to me, "Tonight we are going out to dinner with some friends". I said I don't think so because she is high maintenance and I knew by the time she got home she would be fried and it would be too late. He goes, "No she said it's over at 4:30". I told him the race was scheduled to be at 6:52 and it would be a long time before she got home after that. He said gotta go I have to text her. I am sure I will hear about some argument or drama that transpired the next time we talk.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
tanner12oz

I was also in the 20 dollar yellow lot and was on the road in minutes...far better then the yearly preakness debacle of leaving. The bathrooms next to the playground were the cleanest and crowd free all day...inside second floor mens room was oozing liquids by mid day. Bathroom line wasn't bad but the whole idea of lines to be strikes me as a violation of human rights...womens line was horrible with most women giving up and squatting with the boys became the way to go...food lines were horrid..lines for beer horrid..uncle of mine waited in line for a beer only to find that they ran out of beer.

I waited no lie 40 mins for an eaten tote ticket at 11am..machines not setup to read cards...not setup for cash which dumps everyone into the teller lines to deal with the temp tellers simply there for a day....have an adw account to avoid all this but the cell signal collapsed for everyone in the party mid day...trouble getting in and out if seats because of the hordes of ga tickets...teller lines were an easy 30-40 min wait

awesome card though but its hard to enjoy when it turns into mad max beyond thunderdome...i would go back but I would seriously have my doubts about going on a tc bid year
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
camourous

I took the Train to Penn Station then the LIRR to Belmont. Tried to leave after the 12th race, stood in line from whenever that ended until 9:15. LIRR had stated previously that they added 18 more trains for the day, and would run trains until 9'oclock. At 9:15 i was still nowhere near the train and actually just got past the turnstiles in the grandstand, when Police came and told everyone there were no more trains.

So you know had to walk a mile to the Floral Park train station, wait about 45 minutes for a train and take that to Penn Station. Then i took that train back to Trenton. I heard later that the issue was the platform at Belmont PArk became unstable and started to buckle from all the people, who knows what actually happened, but i didn't get home until 1:45am.

At least most of the $10 beers i had their were cold. most...
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
classhandicapper

I left right after the Belmont. I was out of the lot 3 minutes after I walked to my car. No traffic out of the lot or on the road. The track itself was as crowded as I have ever seen it.