Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
TheEdge07
Veteran

Anyone experience the same issues at Belmont?

Disgruntled fan will not go back Belmont day,

Having had the chance to go to Churchill for Oaks, and now to Belmont Park, the contrast between the two could not be more glaring and not flattering to whomever manages Belmont and prepares for the biggest day of the year. While Churchill has an infield, it still serves more people with much more skill and comfort than Belmont Park

At Churchill, they have enough security and access control that if you don't have a ticket for an area, you don't get in. At Belmont, there was absolutely no effort to check anyone's tickets, leaving a chaotic situation where with 15 minutes to post, police had to be summoned to evict seat squatters.

Add to that very limited food choices (hot dog or something they claimed was a Philly Cheesesteak), no apparent plans to restock vending areas that ran out of beer and ice, just not enough vending staff to serve this number of people, half of the ATM's inoperable, non-working escalators, and overflowing toilets. At $10 a beer, they should be able to put 3-4 behind each counter, not 2 hopelessly overworked souls. Oh, and have a beer/water line, and a line for mixed drinks... common sense people.

There was an inexplicable decision to barricade 4 of 6 exit doors on the north end that caused thousands to have to squeeze through two doors after the big race, and a truck parked across the pathway out to parking lot buses creating more difficulty in exiting.

The card was extraordinary and I'm sure that everything was in good order in the Jockey Club, but the experience for the average punter was generally frustrating. I expect rookies on both side of the windows on these days, and there appeared to be sufficient staffing for wagering, but pretty much every other part of the experience was a fail and I will not go back on Belmont Day.
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Agree 100%
Never again.
5 hr trip home 2AM to northeast PA-Blue Lot Special.
Most disorganized event I have ever been too.
And I have been to a Rolling Stones concert with a bigger crowd.
All gates not available to get in or out,wonder there wasn't multiple fist fights.
If the new NYRA boss's #1 master plan is to please the fans,I do believe he has a his work cut out for him.
Let's hope he doesn't f### with Saratoga.

People complain about the price of the DRF,I would rather pay that once a day than $10 per beer all day.
No BYO= BS

The card was great and a record setting day for handle and beer sales I'm sure.

So the bottom line was met........

Belmont Park
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
FantasticDan
gelding

Yeah, I'm seeing lots of Tweets (including from racing writers) talking about what a total nightmare it was to get out of there. The "never again" quote is coming up often
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
tanner12oz

I thought it was awful and have no interest in going back for a tc bid
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
The "never again" quote is coming up often
Just to set the record straight,I actually had a small positive ROI for the day which wasn't bad considering I had to advance bet many races in order to get my bets in.
So I am not disgruntled in that aspect.

But Belmont Park Never Again......
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Agree with everybody here.....place was a nightmare

Long lines at concessions I get scummed for an extra 10 at the gate when I had to pay cash to avoid the long line with the tickets.....

$17 for a sausage and lemonade
$5 for water
No beer at many stands (not that I drink)

The self service machines fired out the tickets out of the machines which I've never seen

Most unprepared event in history of sports...

I'll never be back there on Belmont day........waiting for somebody to come on here and defend yesterday's disgrace

Total disgrace
Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
I get scummed for an extra 10 at the gate when I had to pay cash to avoid the long line with the tickets.....
I almost did the same thing .What a scam.

First place I have ever been to where people with advance tickets had to wait up to an hour longer to get in than the people who did not have tickets ahead of time.

Only 4 entrance gates open.
Brilliant!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Another slime move on nyra part was making 3 different programs so the suckers had to go for $18 and not $6....total slime move
Old 06-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
RunForTheRoses

Reading these reports I'm not surprised. I figured it would be terrible. The average Belmont weekend is a ghost town so I guess no one could figure out this would require some extra planning. It was a real nice day, should have been a good time.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Another slime move on nyra part was making 3 different programs so the suckers had to go for $18 and not $6....total slime move
What, are you kidding? What were the 3 programs for, please elaborate. Thanks.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Appy

Big crowds not my thing, and exactly why I think the future of horse racing success depends on simulcast and online betting.
For a great on-site horse racing experience I think the small home town tracks are the best bet, even though they are not likely to offer the most in the way of luxurious conveniences or famous fans. But then, that is what home and TV is for.
Going to the track is all about the horses and racing to me. If I'm not busy in the barn I enjoy seeing the race finish hanging on the rail at the finish line, or seeing the start from the rail right alongside the gate. In other words, small tracks present an intimate personal horse racing experience, something the big tracks with big crowds cannot offer.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
biggestal99

I guess I am in the minority here and I'll be back. Had a whale of a good time.

Yes It was crowded and Belmont wasn't prepared. Belmont needs an upgrade that much is certain. No problem betting (well save for my first bet when a machine ate my voucher). The most I waited at a machine was like 3 minutes. You just have to know where to go to bet (third floor machines).

I went downstairs and It was a madhouse so I calmly retreated to my oasis on the third floor. got some good pics. too

I'd rate it a solid 8 as an experience.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Whoa, I am really sad to hear about these poor experiences. And, it causes me to recall a fleeting thought I had yesterday when I saw some of the crowd shots on the TV -- it was about what could easily happen but I won't reveal the details. It was dark and morbid.

The only time I ever felt nervous about being in a crowd was when buying venue tickets for the '84 Olympics in LA.

Track management at Del Mar for years has had the same level of disregard for the racing fan. This is comparing what I first experienced in the 1970's to the changes they started to make in the 1990's.

While I am sure a part of it has to do with security concerns, not all of it. It's a sad truth, I do not attend the meeting at Del Mar too much any more, mostly because, the first thought is the hassle getting to, outside and inside the venue. I wonder if the suits have ever attended a day of racing as a normal Joe-blow and have to experience the totality of attending a day of races. I highly doubt it.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
No problem betting (well save for my first bet when a machine ate my voucher). The most I waited at a machine was like 3 minutes. You just have to know where to go to bet (third floor machines).

Allan
How long did it take for you to cash out for the day?

Took me 1 hour in line on the 1st floor to cash out final voucher for the day.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I never go anywhere on the big days. I won't even go to Canterbury on Kentucky Derby Day, or Breeder's Cup Day. If my first day at a track was a "big event" day there likely would have never been a second day.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply