Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-25-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
wiretowire68

Cutting Down Factors or Handicapping Angles

Interested to see with the amount of Handicapping Angles i.e. Tom Ainslee and those created in terms Form Patterns. Software that calibrates these angles based on data (that I understand thus software programs are built to recognize the running lines and codes that have been designed to reflect the future probability of a victory for a horse in a race.

Thus, the development of Speed, Pace and Class, to Trip and a running line. My question is if you were not a coder and the old style of reading a past performance and the spidey senses give you that yes...from my past feelings that this horse has a chance. So this part is a joke, I have decided to hook up my brain ala EA games to my computer and simulate those thoughts into the past performances. I have spoken to people about inputting a score for each angle but forget it, there are way too many to put into a spreadsheet that may or may not give you a good estimate based on these principles that have been engraved into the game and then others continue to find there are more.

I took Ray Talbots old style scoring list as well as added some of my own factors or angles I have learned like Advanced Form Pattern Recognitions. etc.

The question or the combined question I have is "Does anyone have a scoring style that is accurate or should a past performance page via running lines be thrown out the window... Just curious, my created Time Card that I created, takes far too long when it comes to clicking through..like "a Stretchout, a Surface Switch, a Cutback, Trainer Switch, 1st Off the Claim.. you get my drift.. Just Curious because I am just about to throw this all out the window... and just go back to reading a past performance with a pen and my notepad..

P.S. particularly due to yesterday and tournament play.... In a 12 race tourney Pick and Pray.. I have 5 horses run... 3rd.... Is the game frustrating absolutely.. I am not gambling right now because I have no job but have enough to play 1 dollar tournaments and I usually hit at least top 5 once a month and there are great players out there but this is worse slop I have ever been...
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
acorn54

of course the unpredictable part of the race is after the gate opens. the jockeys that maneuver the horses only know the ACTUAL riding strategy they will use then. before the race goes off it's just an educated guess. the best selectors of the winner (the public), are only correct 35 percent of the time, so with that as the best that can be achieved , the individual has to expect a low expectancy.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 08:09 PM   #3
zerosky

Equibase's Race Lens has tons of angles (including custom angles) it also has the ability to 'back test each angle to see what works.
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2024, 08:05 AM   #4
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky View Post
Equibase's Race Lens has tons of angles (including custom angles) it also has the ability to 'back test each angle to see what works.
Have you seen my thread on...Race Lens fallacies.....?

They send out 4 races a week and I can certainly say ...the angles have very little substance..
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #5
zerosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post

They send out 4 races a week and I can certainly say ...the angles have very little substance..
Yes an interesting thread, I don't use it myself but the ability to back test each angle over the past year seems sound.
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 10:28 AM   #6
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosky View Post
Yes an interesting thread, I don't use it myself but the ability to back test each angle over the past year seems sound.
the jcapper software allows the user to back test. been there done that. i can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't work. what works as a successful angle one year doesn't hold up the next year going forward. the dynamics of racing are not static. there is a constant state of flux. one year you can use recency as a potent factor, then the trainer or the trend of trainers as a group change their tactics due to various economic forces. the only konstant in horseracing and life in general is "CHANGE".
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
denniswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
the jcapper software allows the user to back test. been there done that. i can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't work. what works as a successful angle one year doesn't hold up the next year going forward. the dynamics of racing are not static. there is a constant state of flux. one year you can use recency as a potent factor, then the trainer or the trend of trainers as a group change their tactics due to various economic forces. the only konstant in horseracing and life in general is "CHANGE".
It's amazing to me that so many people are still trying this nonsense.
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 PM   #8
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilliams View Post
It's amazing to me that so many people are still trying this nonsense.
So , it looks like both of your have wrapped things up and sent it on its merry

way..

Good thing there's lots of politics here to keep you busy....
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #9
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post

Using the weekly angle email, which gives out but a few of thousands of various combinations, as an example to say Race Lens angles overall have have very little substance, is problematic.

Angles are designed to research theories.

Some theories have no value in terms of efficacy, but may have value in other ways, such as saving time and turning what used to be a time consuming proactive experience into a reactive one. An example might be to point out first time starters i turf route races where the sire or dam has had one or more first time out winners in similar races.

This angle absolutely has a negative ROI, but there are nuggets to be found among all the horses which match the angle.

No matter the angle having a positive ROI or a high win (or in the money) percentage in the past, EACH individual horse must be assessed to see if it fits the prior results for that angle.

I can assure you the Angles tool in Race Lens is highly regarded by a good number of handicappers, including many who played in the National Horseplayer's Championship. One of those final table participants, T J Sonde, is an active Race Lens user, as were many others I had great discussions with during the tournament, where I was 37th with a couple hours to go on race day before ending up 137th of 766, using Race Lens and some of the angles I had generated over the years, to help come up with a few of the horses I played .
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #10
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Using the weekly angle email, which gives out but a few of thousands of various combinations, as an example to say Race Lens angles overall have have very little substance, is problematic.

Angles are designed to research theories.

Some theories have no value in terms of efficacy, but may have value in other ways, such as saving time and turning what used to be a time consuming proactive experience into a reactive one. An example might be to point out first time starters i turf route races where the sire or dam has had one or more first time out winners in similar races.

This angle absolutely has a negative ROI, but there are nuggets to be found among all the horses which match the angle.

No matter the angle having a positive ROI or a high win (or in the money) percentage in the past, EACH individual horse must be assessed to see if it fits the prior results for that angle.

I can assure you the Angles tool in Race Lens is highly regarded by a good number of handicappers, including many who played in the National Horseplayer's Championship. One of those final table participants, T J Sonde, is an active Race Lens user, as were many others I had great discussions with during the tournament, where I was 37th with a couple hours to go on race day before ending up 137th of 766, using Race Lens and some of the angles I had generated over the years, to help come up with a few of the horses I played .
TJ Sonde is an active ValueCapper user also!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #11
denniswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
An example might be to point out first time starters i turf route races where the sire or dam has had one or more first time out winners in similar races.

From 'Causal Inference and Discovery in Python' Aleksander Molak:

"Imagine you work at a research institute and you’re trying to understand the causes of people drowning.Your organization provides you with a huge database of socioeconomic variables. You decide to run a regression model over a large set of these variables to predict the number of drownings per day in your area of interest. When you check the results, it turns out that the biggest coefficient you obtained is for daily regional ice cream sales. Interesting! Ice cream usually contains large amounts of sugar, so maybe sugar affects people’s attention or physical performance while they are in the water.

This hypothesis might make sense, but before we move forward, let’s ask some questions. How about other variables that we did not include in the model? Did we add enough predictors to the model to describe all relevant aspects of the problem? What if we added too many of them? Could adding just one variable to the model completely change the outcome?"
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2024, 09:04 PM   #12
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilliams View Post
From 'Causal Inference and Discovery in Python' Aleksander Molak:

"Imagine you work at a research institute and you’re trying to understand the causes of people drowning.Your organization provides you with a huge database of socioeconomic variables. You decide to run a regression model over a large set of these variables to predict the number of drownings per day in your area of interest. When you check the results, it turns out that the biggest coefficient you obtained is for daily regional ice cream sales. Interesting! Ice cream usually contains large amounts of sugar, so maybe sugar affects people’s attention or physical performance while they are in the water.

This hypothesis might make sense, but before we move forward, let’s ask some questions. How about other variables that we did not include in the model? Did we add enough predictors to the model to describe all relevant aspects of the problem? What if we added too many of them? Could adding just one variable to the model completely change the outcome?"
I suspect you'd sell more ice cream on the hottest of days and that more people would be at the beach swimming on the hottest of days. Most beach areas have one or two ice cream stands in proximity. I would say yes something is probably missing.

Last edited by MJC922; 04-01-2024 at 09:06 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2024, 07:23 PM   #13
equusvates

Scoring angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Interested to see with the amount of Handicapping Angles i.e. Tom Ainslee and those created in terms Form Patterns. Software that calibrates these angles based on data (that I understand thus software programs are built to recognize the running lines and codes that have been designed to reflect the future probability of a victory for a horse in a race.

Thus, the development of Speed, Pace and Class, to Trip and a running line. My question is if you were not a coder and the old style of reading a past performance and the spidey senses give you that yes...from my past feelings that this horse has a chance. So this part is a joke, I have decided to hook up my brain ala EA games to my computer and simulate those thoughts into the past performances. I have spoken to people about inputting a score for each angle but forget it, there are way too many to put into a spreadsheet that may or may not give you a good estimate based on these principles that have been engraved into the game and then others continue to find there are more.

I took Ray Talbots old style scoring list as well as added some of my own factors or angles I have learned like Advanced Form Pattern Recognitions. etc.

The question or the combined question I have is "Does anyone have a scoring style that is accurate or should a past performance page via running lines be thrown out the window... Just curious, my created Time Card that I created, takes far too long when it comes to clicking through..like "a Stretchout, a Surface Switch, a Cutback, Trainer Switch, 1st Off the Claim.. you get my drift.. Just Curious because I am just about to throw this all out the window... and just go back to reading a past performance with a pen and my notepad..

P.S. particularly due to yesterday and tournament play.... In a 12 race tourney Pick and Pray.. I have 5 horses run... 3rd.... Is the game frustrating absolutely.. I am not gambling right now because I have no job but have enough to play 1 dollar tournaments and I usually hit at least top 5 once a month and there are great players out there but this is worse slop I have ever been...
I use as many angles as I can knowing that they are valid after visually testing for at least a year.I do not run the races through a database screening process because there are too nuances that may excuse the horse in the race. After determining which angles are valid I score for odds lines creation only. For the most part, I just look for which angles have fired and considering pace scenario, form, workouts and connections, decide which horses should be considered for betting. Ray Taulbot angle #26 is almost an automatic. I have over 1000 angles and for the most part 0 to 5 may fire for any horse. Most of my angles are composite angles made up of 2 or more factors. No, you cannot do this by pen and paper.
equusvates is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2024, 02:18 PM   #14
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by equusvates View Post
I use as many angles as I can knowing that they are valid after visually testing for at least a year.I do not run the races through a database screening process because there are too nuances that may excuse the horse in the race. After determining which angles are valid I score for odds lines creation only. For the most part, I just look for which angles have fired and considering pace scenario, form, workouts and connections, decide which horses should be considered for betting. Ray Taulbot angle #26 is almost an automatic. I have over 1000 angles and for the most part 0 to 5 may fire for any horse. Most of my angles are composite angles made up of 2 or more factors. No, you cannot do this by pen and paper.
What is Ray Talbot Angle #26?
Old 04-19-2024, 02:46 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

Simple: hook best F1's to best SP's. that is the way the race will run often