Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

What is "Lasix Adjunct"?

In the changes at Keeneland today they list several "Lasix corrections"
as (LA) Lasix Adjunct. What does that mean??
Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
stu

Kentucky Red

Lasix Adjunct is the term for Kentucky Red. Kentucky Red is an additional medication that helps prevent EIPH. Kentucky Red is not allowed in every jurisdiction. I can't remember the chemical name for Kentucky Red.
stu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Figman

Here is the summary of Kentucky Red.
http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=54271
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
senortout

Old Thread holds new interest(for me at least)

All but one of the winners on last nights Mountaineer card had received the bleeder adjunct before their race!

The lone abstainer was a run-away winner of a mdn race, racing for the first time, and not on lasix, either.

A fair amount of entries last nite raced with lasix only, so it begs the question....why is the adjunct not listed in the pps?

I hesitate to ask this cause I took heat in a recent thread for suggesting that the bug boy asterisk omission was not important. I have since recanted on that stance, and have stated that in the thread.

Like to hear your thoughts on this please....Oh and a ps....this information came from a chart of last nights races, where the adjunct IS INCLUDED.

senortout

Last edited by senortout; 07-17-2011 at 12:25 PM.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout
All but one of the winners on last nights Mountaineer card had received the bleeder adjunct before their race!

The lone abstainer was a run-away winner of a mdn race, racing for the first time, and not on lasix, either.

A fair amount of entries last nite raced with lasix only, so it begs the question....why is the adjunct not listed in the pps?

I hesitate to ask this cause I took heat in a recent thread for suggesting that the bug boy asterisk omission was not important. I have since recanted on that stance, and have stated that in the thread.

Like to hear your thoughts on this please....Oh and a ps....this information came from a chart of last nights races, where the adjunct IS INCLUDED.

senortout
Whose PPs? A quick look at the entries at DRF and they are listed there.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
senortout

OK....

Now, I can see where Brisnet has left out some potentially helpful information. I do use Brisnet and have not checked out other pps in quite some time. My mistake!

I can, however, still get the info from Brisnet, as the adjunct is listed in the entries, will have to keep those on hand and add that info on my own, til they catch up.

Last edited by senortout; 07-17-2011 at 01:02 PM.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Delawaretrainer

There is more than one type of adjunct bleeder medication. Every state has different rules. Some allow just lasix and no adjunct so you wouldn't see it listed for horses running there. Some states let you pick from several different adjunct medications, West Virginia lets you pick one out of three. Some states only allow Amicar.
Delawaretrainer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaretrainer
There is more than one type of adjunct bleeder medication. Every state has different rules. Some allow just lasix and no adjunct so you wouldn't see it listed for horses running there. Some states let you pick from several different adjunct medications, West Virginia lets you pick one out of three. Some states only allow Amicar.
Yep.

And then there is Indiana which isn't allowing any of the adjuncts, so to make up for it the vets are allowed to give a "double dose" of Lasix (to 10cc, up from the 5cc that is customarily the max in other states.)

So while a race in Indiana will show all of the horses with just "L" next to their names with no adjuncts, the swing in amounts of Lasix will go from 3cc (the minimum you can get) up to 10cc (the max.) That is a pretty big difference to experiment with, and I don't know why more handicappers aren't asking for the amount of the Lasix dosage to be reported. I do believe it to be a difference.

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Steward

Depending upon the jurisdiction, some states allow the use of a second anti-bleeding medication. In addition to furosemide (Lasix), which is the most effective prophylactic treatment for exercise induced pulmonary hemorrage (EIPH), Aminocaproic Acid (Amicar) is the secondary choice of horsemen.