Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-09-2024, 11:48 PM   #31
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I was a cop in the Air Force. Multiple job codes for Law Enforcement and Security. 6 yrs.

My experience with airplane repair comes from owning a 4 seat Piper Cherokee 180 for 3 years. I did some of the maintenance under the supervision of a certified A&P mechanic who signed off on what we did together.

I also assisted a few friends who owned planes with their maintenance. Knowing how things work and having hands on experience helps when you’re flying at 5-10 thousand feet and you hear a funny noise…….

Right before the crash of 2008 I had a salesman whose step father had to crash land a similar plane in a vacant lot, where escapes me, but he lived in Rubidoux, which it appears now is Jurupa Valley. This guy was pretty busted up, in a wheelchair the crash had been like 6 months, he had various body parts screwed and bolted together. He could stand but not walk without assistance. The freaking dude who was like 50 said as soon as he could walk he was flying again. I thought that was nuts, someone then reminded me how many motorcycle crashes I had. That was about the time I had to give up riding.

I never trusted those small planes, the guy who crashed one said "But you can land on a football field." Seeing the guy in a wheelchair I did not have the heart to say you can also crash on a football field. Why are there so many small plane crashes, are they getting pilot licenses in Cracker Jacks?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 12:44 AM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

2023 was a good year for commercial aviation

“ Commercial aviation was safer in 2023 than in any previous year. According to a leading air safety expert, last year set a new record for the fewest accidents and deaths.

Only two fatal accidents occurred during the 12 months, compared with six in 2022.

In both crashes, propeller aircraft came down on domestic flights, with a total of 86 deaths – fewer than half the 178 fatalities in 2023. For comparison, 148 people die in the average hour on the world’s roads according to the latest UN figures.”

Private/general aviation had over 400 “incidents” and 800 total crashes if you add everything up.

Incidents can be as benign as running off the runway to full flesh crashes on takeoff. Normally to be considered a crash the aircraft must be in flying trim (flaps etc ) when the incident occurs. But that old standard was tossed out a while ago. What really matters is 208 people were killed in general aviation last year.

Compare that to driving deaths, not really a fair comparison.

Those small planes are only as safe as the pilot
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 01:10 AM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
2023 was a good year for commercial aviation

“ Commercial aviation was safer in 2023 than in any previous year. According to a leading air safety expert, last year set a new record for the fewest accidents and deaths.

Only two fatal accidents occurred during the 12 months, compared with six in 2022.

In both crashes, propeller aircraft came down on domestic flights, with a total of 86 deaths – fewer than half the 178 fatalities in 2023. For comparison, 148 people die in the average hour on the world’s roads according to the latest UN figures.”

Private/general aviation had over 400 “incidents” and 800 total crashes if you add everything up.

Incidents can be as benign as running off the runway to full flesh crashes on takeoff. Normally to be considered a crash the aircraft must be in flying trim (flaps etc ) when the incident occurs. But that old standard was tossed out a while ago. What really matters is 208 people were killed in general aviation last year.

Compare that to driving deaths, not really a fair comparison.

Those small planes are only as safe as the pilot

The guy I knew that crashed said he lost power, and could not make it to the airport. I can't remember which one, where he lived was close to a small airport. If it is close to the one that is near what use to be called Rubidoux there are places to land small planes, but I think most of them would cause at best a minor crash. Even the usually dry river bed by the airport is full of bowling ball size rocks.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:02 PM   #34
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.

-jp
Old 01-24-2024, 11:35 PM   #35
Inner Dirt

A wheel fell off? You would think the landing gear would get a daily inspection.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:09 AM   #36
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Delta issue, not Boeing. From what I read a moment ago from a pilot on another forum the aircraft is 20 yrs old. I can't confirm
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2024, 06:52 AM   #37
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
many CEOs have changed their focus - now on share price and CEO compensation
That started decades ago in the late 80's when companies found China's cheap labor. The CEO's at the time and until today even have literally bled out their company's intellectual property to prop up the share price with cheap labor in order to produce a better bottom line in the short term. Higher share price led to higher bonuses, etc, etc for the C-suite guys. Many of us in mngt but not the C-suite class saw it happen in real time but had no power to stop it. I saw many memos imploring upper mngt that China was stealing our IP and using it against us to no avail. I am long since gone but it only took 20 years for China to compete on equal footing on the world stage in that industry against us. I used to get $10k bonuses as a global manager. The C-suite guys would get $1M bonuses a year.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2024, 08:43 AM   #38
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Delta issue, not Boeing. From what I read a moment ago from a pilot on another forum the aircraft is 20 yrs old. I can't confirm
Not uncommon. A lot of 757s and 767s that Delta and United have flying are going on 30 years. Of course that is mainly the metal, they've had overhauls probably many times over.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2024, 12:24 AM   #39
davew

WSJ reported with the door blow out, Boeing 'forgot' to put in some of the bolts.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply