Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #91
goatchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
He doesn't get perfect trips, he makes them.
You sound like the guy who drinks Dos Equis Beer. lol
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #92
Sysonby

What got Smarty beat was his personality. He went into the Belmont absolutely determined to be at the front, refused to rate, and got used up fending off challenge after challenge. If I'm not mistaken, he ran some of the fastest inside fractions ever seen in that race. Smarty started out as a front runner and they spent a lot of time getting him to rate. With the excitement of the Belmont and the crowds, I think he just lost all sense of that training. Stuart Elliott had two choices, keep fighting him to try to pull him back while his energy is being wasted fighting or let him go and hope for the best. I think he made the right choice under the circumstances.

In Northern Dancer's Belmont, he fought the jockey so hard to be on the lead that his mouth was wide open and he probably swallowed about 5 pounds of dirt that day. The jockey never stopped fighting him and by the stretch, ND didn't have what he needed left. Would he have won if he'd been let go? I don't know but fighting the jock also uses up considerable energy.

The thing is, Chrome is not the same personality type as Smarty. He's never shown any preference for being on the front end. I think if the other horses want to test him, he lets them go by. Espinoza focuses on keeping a clear lane for as much of the race as possible and makes his move when they're ready.
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #93
SecretAgentMan

Quote:

Exactly! That's the thing people don't understand about really good horses & they say he got 2 perfect trips & Social Inclusion got really bad trips, that's why one horse won & the other lost, lmao........a complete joke!

Good horses create their own luck........
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #94
thaskalos

I haven't made a serious wager on the Belmont Stakes in more than a decade, because I consider the distance to be too big an unknown to overcome. But the euphoria surrounding California Chrome makes this year the exception to the rule. I will wager heavily on the race...and, not only will I keep CC out of the top spot of my exotics tickets -- but I am pretty sure that I will exclude the horse from my exacta bets entirely.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-24-2014 at 10:04 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #95
Mad Scientist
Delusional, compulsive liar and all around giant sack of shit

With horse racing being the pari mutuel sport that it is let me thank you in advance for your donation.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #96
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
With horse racing being the pari mutuel sport that it is let me thank you in advance for your donation.
The feeling is mutual.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #97
breezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
You sound like the guy who drinks Dos Equis Beer. lol
you reminded me of this tweet. from califorina to the possum, it's been a fun TC campaign to follow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Boa-rLFCYAAUiG1.jpg:large

Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #98
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I haven't made a serious wager on the Belmont Stakes in more than a decade, because I consider the distance to be too big an unknown to overcome. But the euphoria surrounding California Chrome makes this year the exception to the rule. I will wager heavily on the race...and, not only will I keep CC out of the top spot of my exotics tickets -- but I am pretty sure that I will exclude the horse from my exacta bets entirely.

Thaskalos= Teacher in Greek........

Are you teaching us how to lose money? LoL.....good luck with your bets, you will need it
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #99
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezing
you reminded me of this tweet. from califorina to the possum, it's been a fun TC campaign to follow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Boa-rLFCYAAUiG1.jpg:large

Wait a minute !
"Most interesting Possum in the world....?"
How about...
"Most angry Possum in the world!"
But I must admit....
I do like the nasal strip he's sporting.
Whoa.....Maybe that's why he's angry.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #100
Rex Phinney

I think maybe those who keep trying to beat CC should let us know just how much they need to win in the Belmont to even up. I get the feeling people will be lining up to say "I told you so" if he loses, totally forgetting that they got beat several times doubting this horse.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #101
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Look at what I wrote....CC "has earned perfect trips"...
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #102
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
I think maybe those who keep trying to beat CC should let us know just how much they need to win in the Belmont to even up. I get the feeling people will be lining up to say "I told you so" if he loses, totally forgetting that they got beat several times doubting this horse.
I lost a minor bet on the Derby, not because the attributes of California Chrome were subtle enough to elude me...but because I had the place-horse marked as a virtual impossibility. I didn't bet a penny on the Preakness, because I found the odds unappetizing all the way around. But I did say on this board, BEFORE the Preakness, that California Chrome would win that race...and then lose the Belmont to Wicked Strong. If nothing changes from now until then...I will bet on Wicked Strong with both hands in the Belmont.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:19 AM   #103
nijinski

I saw a photo today of Tonalist . He is a big beautiful boy .
I was taken back by his saddlecloth with the large letters CC
on it .

It took a minute until I realized it was his trainers initials .
guess they didn't concede yet .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #104
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
As Reagan once said..."There you go again..."

You just can't help yourself. And you wonder why I call you out for your dickish ways...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 03:19 AM   #105
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
If they are any sort of a competent bettor, they treat these races just as any other. And since most if not all competent bettors lose more races then they win (note, I wrote races, not money), if they lost the Derby and the Preakness, it's really no big deal.

Again, this is for people who actually bet real money on real races more than a few times a year. You and SecretAgentMan might not be one of those people, and that's ok. I have to presume you are not one of those people if you write something like the above. Because writing something like the above indicates you place a premium on winning a race over winning money in the long run.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-25-2014 at 03:20 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply