Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #616
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I thought it was good when I posted it in this thread too!
Sorry CJ missed it my bad.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #617
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

And who would these interveners be?

A) Politicians, or

B) Career bureaucrats, or

C) Racing Industry insiders, or

D) Outsiders with connections

I don't like any of those choices. Don't give me E) gamblers, please.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic....
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #618
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Unless of course you realize that much of which the player calls myopia and incompetence is due to the regulation that is already there.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #619
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
And who would these interveners be?

A) Politicians, or

B) Career bureaucrats, or

C) Racing Industry insiders, or

D) Outsiders with connections

I don't like any of those choices. Don't give me E) gamblers, please.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic....
Ahh...you are the one who mentioned the topic of "federal regulation of the sport"...but now you want to resume the "regularly scheduled topic"...

You are absolutely right...there are no suitable choices to be made, as far as new leadership of this sport is concerned.

Let's leave the game in the hands of the horsemen...so we can all be looking for a new game to play in a few years...

After all...this strategy worked pretty well with harness racing...
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #620
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Unless of course you realize that much of which the player calls myopia and incompetence is due to the regulation that is already there.
There is plenty of blame to go around, Al...and I trust you know that...
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #621
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Ahh...you are the one who mentioned the topic of "federal regulation of the sport"...but now you want to resume the "regularly scheduled topic"...
I apologize for contributing to thread drift.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #622
MadWorld

Quote:
One thing I've haven't seen are horseplayers that accept some responsibility themselves. Go to a racetrack and you see some of the most disgusting people you'll see anywhere . . . and then we wonder why new fans don't want to go the races? Some tracks are littered with players that haven't bathed in a week, wearing ratty clothes, throwing trash on the ground, spitting, etc. How does racing grow with people like that? Who wants to join that "club".

Some tracks are fine, many others are complete messes.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld when Jerry suggested grabbing people that don't shower on the streets and turning a hose on them.
MadWorld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #623
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWorld
One thing I've haven't seen are horseplayers that accept some responsibility themselves. Go to a racetrack and you see some of the most disgusting people you'll see anywhere . . . and then we wonder why new fans don't want to go the races? Some tracks are littered with players that haven't bathed in a week, wearing ratty clothes, throwing trash on the ground, spitting, etc. How does racing grow with people like that? Who wants to join that "club".

Some tracks are fine, many others are complete messes.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld when Jerry suggested grabbing people that don't shower on the streets and turning a hose on them.
IMO...the horseplayers' disheveled look is directly related to the escalating takeouts.

Do you remember how well-dressed the racing patrons were in the 50s and 60s...when the takeouts were much lower?

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #624
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Yes, blame. I see quite a bit of it regularly. Every once in a while those blaming actually get it right, but most of what I see is parroted responses that even my African Grey would know better than to say. Sometimes things get repeated so often that people think they are always true.

I also trust I know what many of the people you call myopic and incompetent try to do on a daily basis. I also trust I know regularly insulting people who are trying very hard to do their jobs and to please people like you isn't the best thing to do. But then what do I really know.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #625
thaskalos

Quote:
Yes, blame. I see quite a bit of it regularly. Every once in a while those blaming actually get it right, but most of what I see is parroted responses that even my African Grey would know better than to say. Sometimes things get repeated so often that people think they are always true.

I also trust I know what many of the people you call myopic and incompetent try to do on a daily basis. I also trust I know regularly insulting people who are trying very hard to do their jobs and to please people like you isn't the best thing to do. But then what do I really know.
Sorry...I clearly made an error in judgement.

I never realized that those people I "insulted" were trying so hard to please me and my kind...

Had I known that...I would have been much more careful with my words...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #626
lamboguy

i think its time for the authorities to figure out who gets the blame here. all that i am hoping for is that whomever is going to be in charge of New York racing going forward brings it to where its supposed to be, the showcase of all of racing worldwide. that is what the governor of the state wants from what i am hearing, lets see if he is true to his words.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #627
MadWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i think its time for the authorities to figure out who gets the blame here. all that i am hoping for is that whomever is going to be in charge of New York racing going forward brings it to where its supposed to be, the showcase of all of racing worldwide. that is what the governor of the state wants from what i am hearing, lets see if he is true to his words.
Seriously? You think the Governor is the best person to run horse racing? What has he said or done that makes you think he likes horse racing or has ever been a friend to it?
MadWorld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #628
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Sorry...I clearly made an error in judgement.

I never realized that those people I "insulted" were trying so hard to please me and my kind...

Had I known that...I would have been much more careful with my words...
And therein lies your part of the blame
Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #629
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

Quote:
And therein lies your part of the blame
Let me know how blaming your customers works out for you and you friends, when it comes to your ongoing public relations struggles and your desperate need for public support right now.

It probably isn't a winning strategy, but only the entire history of public relations says so.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #630
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
that is what the governor of the state wants from what i am hearing, lets see if he is true to his words.
Say what???????
Baby Mario tell the truth -it would make his teeth fall out!

Bottom line here, some tell who would run NYRA racing better than it is today.
The PRODUCT at NYRA is unmatched, unchallenged it terms of quality.
That is the only thing that counts.