Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
DJofSD
Screw PC

iPad 3 owners: a usage question

My thoughts have returned to perhaps buying an iPad.

The intended use is varied. A subset is for out of doors and in bright/direct sunlight.

Question for those using the newer iPad 3 (with retina display): how well can you see the images when outside in bright sunlight? Can you see anything at all? Are you able to see the display if you cast a shadow over it, say, by placing it the shadow of your body or by using something else to block the sunlight?

TIA
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
My thoughts have returned to perhaps buying an iPad.

The intended use is varied. A subset is for out of doors and in bright/direct sunlight.

Question for those using the newer iPad 3 (with retina display): how well can you see the images when outside in bright sunlight? Can you see anything at all? Are you able to see the display if you cast a shadow over it, say, by placing it the shadow of your body or by using something else to block the sunlight?

TIA
I don't use it outside, I just can't seem to be able to see the screen well. On the other hand my wife uses hers outside a bit, always angling it into the shade, but after awhile she always just ends up shutting it down.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
bigmack

DJ - Screw Apple, get a Samsung Galaxy. They're $360 @ Costco.

[YT="893"]qqnPWYXtPwY[/YT]
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

No can do, at least for the use that prompts the original question. The app is only available on the Apple platforms and queries of the company about porting it to WINTEL have only met with the stock thank-you-for-asking response.

I've not bought anything Apple outside of a couple of iPods. And, it's beginning to look like it's not going to happen this time around either. Oh well.

But for those responding to the usage question, please do continue. I have been known to change my mind.

On a some what related note, my brother has been struggling with learning Cocoa and dealing with the rather piss poor development platorm, the poorly or undocumented features and the ever shifting sands of iOS. He's not a professional developer but he's no dummy either -- he holds his own when it comes to WINTEL stuff but all of the other Apple related crap, he is really challenged. I get a feeling for some of the challenges when we talk and exchange emails about how primative things are compared to Windows and development tools we both use.

And then, I read reviews of different apps on both the iStore and independent BLOGs. It makes me stop every single time.

I've picked up bits and pieces about the development process and the strangle hold Apple has on development, approval and distribution of apps. I can't help but wonder if Apple wouldn't have a larger share of the market if they did things a little differently.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
goforgin
goforgin

I just went outside and tested. If the sun is directly behind or a little above, can't see very good at all, it's like a mirror. But if I hold with the back of the IPad to the sun, or keep the screen in a shaded area, then it's okay.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

Thanks for do that test.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
DJ - Screw Apple, get a Samsung Galaxy. They're $360 @ Costco.
I like mine a lot, though I have the smaller 7 inch that I'll eventually change out for the 10 inch. Still, it works quite well when I don't want to carry my laptop (a new one of these just cost me way too much money). Plus, the Samsung is the same size as my Kindle. Both fit in a handbag nicely. Its a little more difficult for reading Bris past performances but Cj's figures fit it, perfectly. The GPS works well, too.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
fast4522

Like Grits, I too picked up a Samsung 2 7" after returning a new Asus TF300. My reasoning was I wanted a 10 " tablet but felt the Asus was not that nice for the money. At BJ's club the Samsung was $ 239 and the are giving away a leather case included. The Samsung just worked better out of the box. For downloading Bris files directly to the tablet I use Opera mini browser (best for zip files). The IR port is quite nice for beaming files if you have a few Dell's with IR ports like I do or controlling my led TV and stereo, really nice setup with every Sony IR code in the house. I rooted our Ipod in order to gain Bluetooth file transfers (going without the wire), no need at all to root the Samsung so far. With Apple they force you to play in their sandbox and only how they want (screw them). File transfers are a snap with the wire that comes with the Samsung as well. Watching Bris TV on the unit is great with no lag at all.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

I preordered a Nexus 7 from the goog....still skeptical on the whole tablet thing but will try it out for a couch machine.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
BreadandButter

My son uses his (ipad 3) outdoors all the time with an anti glare screen protector from Zagg. That being said I do notice a difference indoors when looking at content on his vs mine (iPad 1). Mine appears a bit sharper as it does not have an anti glare screen protector. Unfortunately, one can't remove and reapply the anti glare screen protector.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadandButter
My son uses his (ipad 3) outdoors all the time with an anti glare screen protector from Zagg. That being said I do notice a difference indoors when looking at content on his vs mine (iPad 1). Mine appears a bit sharper as it does not have an anti glare screen protector. Unfortunately, one can't remove and reapply the anti glare screen protector.
Thanks for the feeback.

Some anti-glare screens I have read about claim to adhere statically and therefore can be removed without any residue left behind.

And then, other items I have read about seem to be more about protecting the device from scratches and the anti-glare aspect seems to be additional claim tacked on.

I guess part of the problem I have when researching this stuff online is being able to tell whether anti-glare means it works out of doors in direct sunlight too, or, if it is just to handle the incidental indoor lights like the over head flourescent found in offices. Prior research for LCD displays for laptops leads me to believe these anti-glare screens are primarily to handle indoor lighting problems and offer little when out of doors in either direct or indirect sunlight.

But, as you state above, if your son's experience includes out of doors then maybe Zagg's product is what I'm looking for.