Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #106
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The results will speak for themselves, good or bad. But I can tear down each and every QB in this class as I can in every draft. You like Penix? The only reason he won't be on IR this season is because he won't play. It is 100% stupid to draft a player with known injuries. He's had four, count 'em...four injuries. That we know of. That makes him injury prone. He's also 24 and now will sit behind Cousins. Maybe Cousin's injury is worse than expected and Penix will play this year. It's an interesting story to follow. Ryan Pace is with Atlanta so I am not shocked at the bizarro pick. He's a QB evaluator guru dontcha know...

I see Nix as a guy...just a guy. A game manager. The system at Oregon didn't ask him to win games. Lot's of short throws and RPOs. He processes slow when going past his first read. He will struggle against good NFL defenses if his first read isn't open. He's a WIP, but I see him more as a Zach Wilson/Mac Jones type. He will be ok in the right system. I'm not a big believer in Payton. He had Drew Brees. Nix is NOT Brees. Funny how HCs are geniuses when they have an ace QB (see Bill Belichick).

But hey...Brock Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant and that worked out pretty well for SF. Anything can happen.

I am gauging Pennix by what I see on the field the past year, I was not aware of his injury history. Are the injuries all to different body parts? Do you consider him injury prone or you attributing it to reckless play?

I do not think I ever saw an NFL QB worse that Robert Griffin III when it came to exposing himself to injury, he would even contort his body before contact to heighten the risk. The man was road kill waiting for a place to happen.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2024, 08:13 PM   #107
headhawg
crusty old guy

Two ACL tears and joint dislocations in both shoulders. Season-enders when he was at Indiana. He's injury-prone no matter how you slice it. He'll get pounded in the NFL. Maybe he gets lucky and has no more injuries, but I wouldn't risk my job on it. Apparently the people in ATL aren't worried.

Last edited by headhawg; 04-26-2024 at 08:17 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2024, 10:02 PM   #108
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Two ACL tears and joint dislocations in both shoulders. Season-enders when he was at Indiana. He's injury-prone no matter how you slice it. He'll get pounded in the NFL. Maybe he gets lucky and has no more injuries, but I wouldn't risk my job on it. Apparently the people in ATL aren't worried.
This is what makes it crazy if you ask me…….
Old 04-27-2024, 01:53 AM   #109
mostpost

Quote:
A lot of people are redboarding now about their love for Williams after supporting Fields. Caleb was the safe pick, practically a no-brainer. No one should doubt his talent but he's not without weaknesses: he fumbles too much; he tries to make hero throws on every down; he's soft after being coddled his entire football life. Of course I'll be rooting for him to be a success. However... :
It’s not red boarding to change one’s mind in the face of new information. During his college career Caleb had 93 passing touchdowns, 27 rushing touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He had 32 fumbles but how many of those were recovered by the opponent. In three years he had one interception in the red zone.
Of course, it’s not true that he tried to make hero throws on every down, but when he did it was because he had no other choice. His offensive line was terrible and the defense worse. The Trojans gave up 42 points a game in USC defeats.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:05 AM   #110
mostpost

Quote:
A lot of people are red
...the Odunze pick was flashy but not needed. There's only one football and the Bears already have 2 #1 receivers, a TE with very good hands (plus Everett), and an RB who is a threat in the passing game. The Bears aren't going to the Super Bowl, and being in the North, they probably won't make the playoffs. They have IOL needs and maybe need a better LT. They have pass rush needs as well. They could have addressed those positions this year and drafted a WR next year. I suspect that Poles wanted to appease Williams because of his football relationship with Odunze, and when he was available at 1.9 it was also a no-brainer for Poles. That doesn't make it a smart pick given the circumstances. Williams now has no excuse for not throwing for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs. I hope he can handle that pressure and not cry to mommy. I would add that from the brief interview with Rome that I saw he seems like he's pure class and is very smart. I'll be rooting for him big time.

:
Thank you for letting us know how many footballs there are. Indeed the Bears have two #1 receivers. If having two is good, having three is much better. Having more options is always better.

I’m not quite ready to say the Bears will win the Super Bowl, but they will be in the playoffs. Poles has said Odunze was always the target.4000 yards for Williams? By Thanksgiving.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:32 AM   #111
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Thank you for letting us know how many footballs there are. Indeed the Bears have two #1 receivers. If having two is good, having three is much better. Having more options is always better.

I’m not quite ready to say the Bears will win the Super Bowl, but they will be in the playoffs. Poles has said Odunze was always the target.4000 yards for Williams? By Thanksgiving.
You missed the main point as you usually do. Given your opinion on this matter I wasn't sure if you knew how many footballs were used in the game.

And you're still redboarding. Those stats for Williams were already there when you professed your love for Fields and wanted the Bears to trade out of the #1 spot. Look at your first post. You really are a dumbass.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:26 PM   #112
mostpost

Quote:
A lot of people are redboarding now about their love for Williams after supporting Fields. Caleb was the safe pick, practically a no-brainer. No one should doubt his talent but he's not without weaknesses: he fumbles too much; he tries to make hero throws on every down; he's soft after being coddled his entire football life. Of course I'll be rooting for him to be a success. However...

...the Odunze pick was flashy but not needed. There's only one football and the Bears already have 2 #1 receivers, a TE with very good hands (plus Everett), and an RB who is a threat in the passing game. The Bears aren't going to the Super Bowl, and being in the North, they probably won't make the playoffs. They have IOL needs and maybe need a better LT. They have pass rush needs as well. They could have addressed those positions this year and drafted a WR next year. I suspect that Poles wanted to appease Williams because of his football relationship with Odunze, and when he was available at 1.9 it was also a no-brainer for Poles. That doesn't make it a smart pick given the circumstances. Williams now has no excuse for not throwing for 4000 yards and 30+ TDs. I hope he can handle that pressure and not cry to mommy. I would add that from the brief interview with Rome that I saw he seems like he's pure class and is very smart. I'll be rooting for him big time.

On a 1 to 10 scale Poles is about a 6. People who love him only see the good stuff. What about giving up a 2nd rounder for Claypool? Nate Davis is no prize either. (And some of Poles' other FA O-lineman choices are pretty bad too.) He overpaid for Edmunds (but was right about Edwards). He drafted not one but two DTs that haven't shown too much and are not a great fit for Eberflus' defense. He only got a 6th rounder for Fields because he held out too long thinking the market was hot for that QB. He passed on C.J Stroud which calls into question his ability to evaluate QBs. He kept Eberflus; too early to tell about that decision. All-in-all I seem him as about average. The good news is that the Bears aren't Atlanta. WTF was that GM thinking...
You have got to be from Green Bay. Nothing else explains it. You obsess about Chase Claypool, but ignore the DJ Moore trade. Essentially, the Bears traded Trae Young-a bust so far, for; a top wide receiver, DJ Moore, a solid offensive lineman, Darnell Wright; Tyrique Stevenson, a future all star cornerback and the best QB prospect in decades.plus, they have Carolina’s second round pick next year.

The Bears have fifteen key players who are 25 or younger. DJ Moore and Montez Sweat are 27. Their defense last season was top five over the last half of last season. They have 11 picks in next year’s draft.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:32 PM   #113
mostpost

The Bears just drafted Tory Taylor from Australia and The University of Iowa.
BEST PUNTER EVER !!!
Don’t know why, since they will never have to punt.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:31 PM   #114
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
You have got to be from Green Bay. Nothing else explains it. You obsess about Chase Claypool, but ignore the DJ Moore trade. Essentially, the Bears traded Trae Young-a bust so far, for; a top wide receiver, DJ Moore, a solid offensive lineman, Darnell Wright; Tyrique Stevenson, a future all star cornerback and the best QB prospect in decades.plus, they have Carolina’s second round pick next year.

The Bears have fifteen key players who are 25 or younger. DJ Moore and Montez Sweat are 27. Their defense last season was top five over the last half of last season. They have 11 picks in next year’s draft.
You are still a dumbass. I don't obsess over the Claypool deal; it's an obvious bad one. I gave a sample of bad choices Poles has made but you only want to focus on the good. You're like Fields - can't read a defense and slow to process. It's like all of your specious arguments about politics. You are effing clueless. You make it sound as if Poles is a genius. He is clearly not. How's Tyler Scott and Velus Jones working out for the Bears? The O-line STILL needs help; too many journeyman not counting Wright. The OT they drafted is a project. And you bring up a good point -- why waste a 4th round pick on a punter when the Bears offense should be better and less reliant on punt yardage?

The pass rush needs help as well. The kid they drafted in the 5th is another project. To make the playoffs they need help NOW. DET and GB are really good teams. MIN might surprise, difficult to know how their QB will do.

Poles is just an average GM. For every good deal he has a corresponding head scratcher.

You are just another meathead Bears fan with zero objectivity. I would say that I have been a Bears fan for as long as you but you are an older fart then me. But I know I have watched and analyzed more Bears games than you (you don't strike me as a knowledgeable sports fan), and I retain some level of objectivity when it comes to this team. I am usually right, more than most(post). Didn't you think Pace and Trushitsky were the answer too? Laughable.

Go crawl back into your stolen mailbag of lost letters. You keep regurgitating the same things. You bore me and have nothing of substance to add.

Last edited by headhawg; 04-27-2024 at 04:36 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2024, 06:12 PM   #115
Inner Dirt

Bears current win total is 8.5. I would definitely take the under on that. I suppose Williams will start day 1. I started watching sports when I was 5, that was 58 years ago. I do not recall the Bears ever having a decent QB. Seriously who was their best QB in the Super Bowl era, Jim McMahon? I think Williams will carry on the tradition of poor to mediocre QB play in Chicago.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 04-27-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply