Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #31
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Knight_Sky
Back in the late 80's there was a guy who looked like the trainer Bob Klesaris.
He'd place a wager and stand by me before the race in front of the monitor.

When the gate sprung open after each race, he'd walk briskly around the monitor in a complete circle. Over and over again until the race was finished. This prevented him from watching the race pf course.
The superstition? The tension? He simply couldn't handle it.

Then there's this short guy from that same late 80's era of The Meadowlands who still attends on the weekends. During the race (usually Harness) he mimics the trotter or pacer by jumping up and down in front of the monitor.

Legs left - right. left right.
If you watch his face and his eyes during the race you can tell he's in such glee.
I have posted about this before but I was guilty of the same thing. I was younger and in my days at Santa Anita I would get so stressed out that I would wait till the race started and then walk through the tunnel which connects the grandstand area to the infield. I'd wait long enough to make sure the race was over then I'd come up and turn around and check the results board. Some of us have it worse than others.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

There is always one guy who after the second race who asks if you are done with you form. Hate that!!

Also the ones who say this place is fixed and say they are never coming back and you see them the next day!!
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #33
Stillriledup
Veteran

I love the guy who's rooting hard for the 7 "cmon baby cmon 7, hit this 7, lets go 7" and then when the 8 sweeps by at the end he yells, "go 8, go 8, yes, yes, yes!"
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #34
affirmedny

Dig in! dig in! The horse INVARIABLY loses.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #35
Stillriledup
Veteran

Another one of my favorites is the guys who call photos wrong and they insist they're right. I remember one time a guy called a photo wrong (and i know i'm very good at calling them) and i said, "ill bet you 100 bucks on the photo" The guy was like ,"aah, i dont want to take your money" i was like "cmon, i have plenty, lets go"

Needless to say he didnt put up the money and walked briskly away when his number was NOT put up on the board.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #36
Bruddah
Veteran

I admit to the annoying habit of riding my horse and whipping him with a program. But to me, when you have from $200- $1000 bet on the nag's nose, you get to program whip them once in a while.

Believe me, I have tried to restrain myself but it builds too much inner tension. Probably why my heart Dr. forbid me to go to Oaklawn the last two years...too much fun with a lot of strain on my heart.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #37
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
I admit to the annoying habit of riding my horse and whipping him with a program. But to me, when you have from $200- $1000 bet on the nag's nose, you get to program whip them once in a while.

Believe me, I have tried to restrain myself but it builds too much inner tension. Probably why my heart Dr. forbid me to go to Oaklawn the last two years...too much fun with a lot of strain on my heart.
I love the whipping the leg, i've done that on occasion!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #38
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Great Thread. Reminds me why I like ADWs so much.

I don't mind so much the snapping, smacking, yelling and other antics, EXCEPT when it's the resident LOSER rooting for my horse. I still clearly remember Kentucky Derby Day, 1991, at the Birmingham Turf Club, when I was cursed by a loud drunk who began bellowing out my my key horse's number as soon as the gate opened. For a stretch of five out of six races, he was cheering for my nag, none of which even hit the board. It's bad enough to lose 5 races, but to know you're dead in the water 5 seconds into the race is just disheartening....
Hoofless_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
tzipi

Has to be the old, "COME ON 2 OVER 5, 2 OVER 5! HOLD ONNNNN 2 OVER 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Then another horse(say the #7) comes flying in to win or finish 2nd and the guy yells, " YES I HAD THE 7 TOO! I'm good, I had the #7 too"
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #40
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Has to be the old, "COME ON 2 OVER 5, 2 OVER 5! HOLD ONNNNN 2 OVER 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Then another horse(say the #7) comes flying in to win or finish 2nd and the guy yells, " YES I HAD THE 7 TOO! I'm good, I had the #7 too"
But imagine if you had to call every horse in your superfecta as they come down the stretch. They call what's lookin good at the time, otherwise a super ticket that looks like this:
1-3
1-3-4
1-3-4-6-8
1-3-4-6-8-9

would be a total pain to root for in the stretch...not to mention annoying, and with the 10 cent combos out there someone is gonna lose their voice rooting that thing home
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #41
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Players that yell for their horse only when the race is in the bag. That's not rooting, it's gloating.
When I hear that, I like to yell and add "Is in front" or "to show the way". Its either a tribute or an insult to ex-MNR announcer Jimmie Dolan. You know Dolan never mentioned the horses that finished behind the winner.

When I go to Mountaineer, I'm sure I annoy those around me when I say "Welcome to Mountaineer, track is fast, horses are slow".

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #42
v j stauffer

The one I've always hated is "You're fired"
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #43
tbwinner

I have two that I dislike but at times it cracks me up (depending who it is!):

The guy that says "I was looking at that horse" when the 20-1 shot comes in.

Or the race comes in 2-4-1-3, the guy shows you a $0.10 straight super (or any straight exotic) and says "I had 2-4-3-1! 2-4-3-1! can you believe it!?"

I admit to cracking the program whip every once in awhile but no finger snapping or kissing.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #44
Dave Schwartz

I love all of this! Pure entertainment!

Okay, I will admit to the following:

When I have a price horse on an open lead at the top of the stretch, I will quietly, almost under my breath, say a little prayer: "Just have a horse left for the stretch..."

If the horse draws out to win, I can be heard hollering, "Bring Money!" in the direction of the cashier's window. Makes no sense in horse racing, but it did back when I played blackjack and one good hand demanded a big fill in order to pay me. I guess old habits die hard.

'Course I only play at home these days, but had an entire week of "bring money!" at Saratoga one year. (People did get sick of hearing me say it day in and day out. Learned a lesson there.)

Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #45
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Great Thread. Reminds me why I like ADWs so much.

I don't mind so much the snapping, smacking, yelling and other antics, EXCEPT when it's the resident LOSER rooting for my horse.
Having bet thousands of races, I've never cashed a ticket under those conditions.

One time in particular stands out. I had a closer that was eating up ground on the leader. It looked like I was gonna win going away. A guy next to me starts screaming like a mental patient for my horse. I look at him and think to myself, "maybe just this one time." At that point, the closer hits a wall the likes of which I had never seen and doesn't gain another inch.

I thought to myself, "I should've known."

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply