Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #91
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by War of Will View Post
Not to mention no other horses in his barn tested positive for this substance, just the horse that needed the points to run in the KY Derby. Apparently only his feed got contaminated and amazingly it was so contaminated that 4x the legal amount was in his system. It is IMPOSSIBLE to test at that high a rate via contamination. Dr Arthur knows this too, which means he a cheater.

There wasn't just one horse.....

Quote:
“I 100 percent stand by my recommendation to dismiss these cases,” Arthur said, referring to what he said were multiple findings of scopolamine in horses that were tested around the same time as the 2018 Santa Anita Derby.
https://www.drf.com/news/california-...=top-headlines
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #92
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
That level of contamination with the kind of hay a wealthy barn like that uses? Are we to believe a top money barn gets "cheap hay" --- the kind that would be highly contaminated with a whole buncha jimsom weed in it? C'mon.

IF what has been written is true, EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, in the way this was handled, is unprecedented.

CHRB knew the rule had already been broken, and shortly after they LESSEN the penalties for Scopolamine? G'ah!
Well, Mr. Haney comes around the barn every day to sell them some hay....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #93
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
There wasn't just one horse.....
In the same barn, or other barns?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #94
GMB@BP

This is going no where, what are they going to refund all the moneys that people paid to breed and for the mares already in foal to a triple crown winner?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #95
Blenheim
Race Player

Bamboozlin' Bob

Bamboozlin’ Bob . . . with a little help from his friends at the California Horse Racing Board, made off with the Triple Crown. NO DOUBT, the biggest heist in ALL of horse racing history and may be the biggest heist in all of Sports.

Perhaps, if there were a single governing body, they would review this matter and hold everyone involved accountable, strip Bamboozlin’ of the Crown, impose a heavy fine and ban him from the Sport for life, kinda like what they did with that doper who won all those Tour de France Titles.

As it is, Bamboozlin’ Bob is likely to make off Scot-free. Imagine that! Made off with one of the most coveted Trophies in all of Sports and got away with it. NO DOUBT this Triple Crown Winner will have an asterisk (*) next to his name. And NO DOUBT Bamboozlin’ Baffert’s reputation will be forever tarnished.

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #96
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This isn't a private company. This is a publicly regulated enterprise. Nothing wrong with declaring Justify innocent, if the evidence supports that conclusion. But it HAS to be done in public, where other trainers and owners, track owners, and fans can inspect the evidence and ensure there isn't a cover up.
That is the really bad part about this in a nutshell.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #97
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I guess its not uncommon according to this article from DRF.

https://www.drf.com/news/california-...g-justify-test

and these cross contamination cases are often thrown out due to how hard they are to prove.

Again, not to defend these crooks but it was a bit of a no win situation.
With the strict drug enforcement policies in place today to stamp out cheaters with severe suspensions hard to think they would toss these things out. ??

Last edited by bob60566; 09-12-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #98
dilanesp

Quote:
This is going no where, what are they going to refund all the moneys that people paid to breed and for the mares already in foal to a triple crown winner?
You payz your money and you takez your chances.

It's worth remembering that Justify was already a kind of phony TC winner. He won the Belmont in part due to some collusion with an uncoupled entrymate.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #99
bucksboy

Thumbs down

Let's just hurry up and award Cali another Breeders Cup.
bucksboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #100
GMB@BP

The response

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...t_on_facts_123
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #101
dilanesp

Quote:
Baffert is welcome to tell us (1) what was actually in the horse's system, (2) how it got there, and (3) why this had to be done in secret. Absent that, there isn't any reason to listen to his lawyer.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #102
Sea Hero

It seems as though a rule was changed after the fact, in order to help Baffert. That should be no surprise. A man that can get two tracks (Santa Anita and Del Mar) to change racing surfaces (back to dirt) should have no problem getting a drug rule changed to benefit him.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #103
formula_2002
what an easy game.

JUSIIFY FAILS A DRUG TEST IN CALIFORNIA TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE KENTUCKY DERBY. INACCORDANCE WITH THE CALIFORNIA RULES,THAT DISQUALIFIES HIM FROM RUNNING IN THE DERBY.
NINE DAYS BEFORE THE DERBY (ABOUT THE TIME BAFFIT FOUND OUT)TRAINER BOB BAFFERT REQUEST ANOTHER TEST. ...MEANWHILE...JUSTIFY WINS THE TRIPLE CROWN.
THE SECOND TEST COMES BACK POSITIVE..SO WHAT DOES THE CALIFORNIA RACING BOARD DO? THEY CHANGE THE RULES. THEY CHANGE THE RULES FROM DISQUALIFIVATION TO A SIMPLE FINE.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill

Last edited by formula_2002; 09-12-2019 at 01:02 PM.
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #104
Robert Fischer
clean money

I don't have competence in this area to form a real opinion, based on critical thinking.

as a fan/player who has some 'feeling's' and 'emotions' and 'opinions'??

- Looks like Scopoalamine(sp) is both a performance enhancer and a naturally contaminant. Thus it's likely that trainers have 'pushed the envelope'... perhaps dosing horses gradually higher... Where CHRB threw out 'possible contaminants'... eventually reaching an arena where an optimal dose for a slight performance boost could pass the testing....

-I'd have to guess that Justify wasn't the 'test run' or the 'baseline-establish-er' horse, but that others were used for that purpose.

-I'd have to guess that multiple barns were exploiting the loophole.

-I'd have to guess that the reason we hear about Justify(rather than the others(dozens? hundreds?)), is the significance of his relative fame/importance-to-the-game, and a Vet or an insider who chose to 'leak' the story to the media

-I know that Scopoalamine(sp) didn't in any way 'create' Justify or drastically enhance the horse, but that properly-dosed, it would have had a few positive effects(which always helps)

-My general/overall opinions on the medication in horse racing, sports, media-entertainment, and/or any job today that requires a person or animal's physical performance is a bit 'negative', and I'm not going to go into that. -B- Scopoalamine(sp) is like Mark McGwire(sp?) having that GNC/HealthStore 'androstenidine(sp?) in his locker, or Barry Bonds chugging 'Creatine' or Lance Armstrong popping an Adderall...

While I don't think the Scopoalamine(sp) is significant, and I can see that the CHRB may have painted itself into a can't-win corner, and I can see how Justify's dosing has been brought to light in a 'leak'/'scandal' fashion, I do think it's a disappointing misstep and a bad light to shine on one of our stars.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 09-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #105
lamboguy

if i was NBC, CBS, Fox and all the other simulcast shows, i would no longer broadcast this junk. they could replace the broadcast with professional wrestling. at least they would not be fooling the public that watches them.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply