Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 12:15 AM   #1
showbet

4th race at Evangeline Downs on May 4

Race 3 tonight at Evangeline Downs was won by #4 Jalouse. Race 4 was scratched down to a field of four. The 1-20 favorite (#5 Touchuponastar) won the race. #2 Budro Talking was pulled up mid-stretch.

After a bit of a delay, the race went official and the results showed two Daily Double payoffs: 4/5 ($7.10) and 4/2 ($5.60). There also were two Pick-3 payoffs: 6/4/5 ($17.15) and 6/4/2 ($14.95).

I transcribed what the announcer said when the prices were posted, via the replay that was (and maybe still is) available on TwinSpires. He began to read the prices, and when he got to the Double payoffs he said...

"Dollar Double 4/2 is 5.60...[10 second pause]...".

"Not sure why they paid a Double or a Pick-3 to the 2. That horse did not finish; he was not scratched. Uhh, we will get some confirmation on those prices. So, we will have to check on that...but, in the meantime, we'll look ahead to the 5th race. Optional Claiming runners...".
[etc]

I didn't hear any explanation after several minutes, so I moved on to other tracks.

The chart says "BUDRO TALKING raced in the two path, moved up and stalked briefly, went wrong and broke down into a jog and eventually pulled up in the stretch. WALKED OFF.". Budro Talking is listed in the chart's Finish call as "4DNF", at odds of 5.00 to $1. At the bottom of the chart, next to "Scratched", the other three late scratches in this race are listed, but not Budro Talking. There is no mention in the chart of this horse being scratched.

Maybe this will be updated at some point, because it turns out he was scratched. As mentioned above, there were DD and P3 payoffs made to the #2, presumably as Consolation payoffs to a "scratched" horse. I bet #2 to Place in the race and received a refund on that wager.

So...why in the world was this horse scratched? There was no inquiry announced after the race. I watched the replay of the race, and Budro Talking received a fair start. I'm guessing that for some inexplicable reason they scratched him when he failed to cross the finish line, and then made Consolation payoffs. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-05-04 173704.jpg (73.3 KB, 144 views)
showbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 11:51 AM   #2
shout1966

very weird. The only thing i found in the chart was a comment about this
Start: Good for all except 2. Is it possible something went wrong in the gate and the horse was declared a non starter, though as you stated none of this was listed or mentioned in the chart. If it really is bothering you I would find the number for the racing office of that track and call them on the day they next race and ask for a explanation. which all bettors do deserve. May 8 is the next race date.

Last edited by shout1966; 05-06-2024 at 11:52 AM.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2024, 02:08 PM   #3
woodbinepmi

It's Louisiana, do I need to say more? I have a friend on the Racing Commission, will ask him about it and will report what I find out.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:41 PM   #4
racenomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
It's Louisiana, do I need to say more? I have a friend on the Racing Commission, will ask him about it and will report what I find out.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2024, 10:59 PM   #5
showbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shout1966 View Post
very weird. The only thing i found in the chart was a comment about this
Start: Good for all except 2. Is it possible something went wrong in the gate and the horse was declared a non starter, though as you stated none of this was listed or mentioned in the chart. If it really is bothering you I would find the number for the racing office of that track and call them on the day they next race and ask for a explanation. which all bettors do deserve. May 8 is the next race date.
Thank you for commenting.

Yeah, the only reason I could come up with for this horse being scratched after the race was run is that he might not have received a fair start.

You can watch the replay of the race at https://evangelinedowns.boydgaming.c...ng-and-replays

Both the Pan View and the Head On View are available. I've watched it several times, and if something happened to the 2 in the gate, it's not at all apparent to me. I saw the "Start Good For All But BUDRO TALKING" comment in the chart, but I see zero evidence that the horse did not have a good start in this race; in fact, I would say he had an excellent start.

By the way, the announcer's comments that I quoted begin at about 08:30 of the Race 4 video replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
That would be great and I would appreciate it very much. Though I actually benefitted by the scratch of Budro Talking (my Place bet on him was refunded), it bothers me when things like this happen.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:22 PM   #6
showbet

This morning I used the EVD website's "Contact Us" feature and asked why Budro Talking was scratched, and this afternoon I received a phone call from Louisiana.

The horse was mistakenly scratched due to a miscommunication between two people. The person I spoke with owned the mistake and was sincere and contrite, which I greatly appreciate, and I told her so. Thumbs up to her for calling me personally to let me know what had happened.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:22 AM   #7
shout1966

That is unreal and almost to the point of unbelievable. Do they not have safeguards to protect this type of thing from happening in case of illegal behavior such as a person making a large wager on the horse.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2024, 09:32 AM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbet View Post
This morning I used the EVD website's "Contact Us" feature and asked why Budro Talking was scratched, and this afternoon I received a phone call from Louisiana.

The horse was mistakenly scratched due to a miscommunication between two people. The person I spoke with owned the mistake and was sincere and contrite, which I greatly appreciate, and I told her so. Thumbs up to her for calling me personally to let me know what had happened.
i am more confused now than when this thread started. are you telling me the horse got scratched but ran anyway?
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2024, 09:34 AM   #9
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i am more confused now than when this thread started. are you telling me the horse got scratched but ran anyway?
Could have been mistakenly scratched but then allowed to run for purse money only. I've seen that before.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2024, 12:52 PM   #10
Rollingpk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Could have been mistakenly scratched but then allowed to run for purse money only. I've seen that before.
if that was the case then there should have been no odds on him during the betting. he was the second choice as they loaded in the gate.
Rollingpk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2024, 02:22 PM   #11
showbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
No, the horse ran in the race and then was scratched after the race was run. Wild, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingpk3 View Post
if that was the case then there should have been no odds on him during the betting. he was the second choice as they loaded in the gate.
Yep. If you watch the replay, you can see #2 Budro Talking has odds of 9-1. In the chart, which is an inaccurate mess, his odds are shown as 5.00 to $1. I made a Place bet on BT just before the off, which would not have been possible if he had been scratched at that time.

It took awhile after the race ended for the Pools info to update completely. At first, #2's Odds/Win/Place pool info was intact, and after several minutes, the race went official and #2 was finally listed as a SCR on Twinspires.

The woman I spoke with yesterday told me that Budro Talking was mistakenly scratched after the race was run.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:34 PM   #12
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by showbet View Post
The woman I spoke with yesterday told me that Budro Talking was mistakenly scratched after the race was run.

Somebody should have lost their job over this. Utterly inexcusable. Bettors who had the actual double were screwed out of all their share because it created a consolation.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:04 PM   #13
Rollingpk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Somebody should have lost their job over this. Utterly inexcusable. Bettors who had the actual double were screwed out of all their share because it created a consolation.
pk 3 and pk 4 bettors were also screwed. Pk 3 was a consolation and the pick 4 tix all went to the favorite who won lowering that pay out.
Rollingpk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply