Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-05-2024, 11:21 AM   #16
Saratoga

To throw up an inquiry to millions watching the most exciting Derby in many

years ..............

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (57.6 KB, 2 views)
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 11:53 AM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
If you've done your homework and you place yourself there, don't you know by now what's coming?
What was he supposed to do?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 11:55 AM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think with all the crap about the Derby they were not going to draw any attention shy of knocking a rider off the horse.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-05-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:38 PM   #20
lamboguy

i watched this stupid race again and again, i honestly can see no way the horse wasn't taken down.

this was like a guy seeing a murder committed and not calling the cops.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #21
Hoops McCann

I think the stewards are relieved that Sierra Leone and Forever Young didn't pass Mystik Dan. Then they would've had another big controversy on their hands. Cuz Forever Young definitely should e been place ahead of Sierra Leone
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 01:00 PM   #22
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I agree with CJ. It took them a while to post the results of the race. I couldn't understand why. The photo was clear enough. I believe they were waiting for an objection. When that didn't happen, they :just threw up their hands. I can't remember a take down without an objection being raised by the connections. Is that possible?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #23
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What was he supposed to do?
To be honest I'd have gone right-handed from the get go at the top of the stretch, maybe he's a left handed rider I dunno. If he went right handed he had plenty of paths to move left as Resilience shifted over a number of paths immediately upon straightening. Where as with going left handed he had maybe half a path initially to move right vs a horse he should know will be moving in. Anyway, that's my thought is right handed and then I suspect they both would've moved left repeatedly but with far less contact overall. It's a rodeo kind of race, I would rather let it be but I can see where other people are coming from who want more intervention.

Last edited by MJC922; 05-05-2024 at 01:21 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 01:30 PM   #24
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I agree with CJ. It took them a while to post the results of the race. I couldn't understand why. The photo was clear enough. I believe they were waiting for an objection. When that didn't happen, they :just threw up their hands. I can't remember a take down without an objection being raised by the connections. Is that possible?
i am not so sure that the jockey riding the horse knew how to speak English. even if he didn't, the stewards should have done an inquiry.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 01:38 PM   #25
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i am not so sure that the jockey riding the horse knew how to speak English. even if he didn't, the stewards should have done an inquiry.
One of the biggest hurdles for Japan horses and jockeys is the allowance for bumping, and herding, and all the tactics of horse racing we have in the States.

That simply isn't allowed in Japan or Hong Kong or Dubai or Saudi racing where big time horses race.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 01:40 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Of course, it happens all the time. Stewards post inquiry as soon as races finish sometimes.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:24 PM   #27
classhandicapper

Quote:
That's why I raised the question about whether the Japanese rider/owner knew the standards and protocols for DQs in the US and could also communicate their objection in English in a timely enough fashion given possible language barrier. Pure speculation, but it's possible they were too polite or could not communicate the objection.

Right or wrong, I still think the reason there was no stewards inquiry or DQ was because it was the Derby and they have historically allowed more physicality in the Derby than some random race on any other day.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:26 PM   #28
burnsy
self medicated

There is no back and forth . The inside horse has the right to run straight . And that race was razor close . Any deviation costs a placing in that situation. Christ , they took Maximum Security down and he rolled by open lengths . It wasn’t even close. There’s no excitement value or any bs excuses . You had people on here calling that dq a good call . And nothing is even flashing here? F’in joke . And this didn’t even cost me a dime . I didn’t have the winner . Then people are head scratching, crying when the handle is down . Gee, I wonder why people think this game is a joke . The cheating, the officials, the cover ups and it never ends .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 02:26 PM   #29
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
To be honest I'd have gone right-handed from the get go at the top of the stretch, maybe he's a left handed rider I dunno. If he went right handed he had plenty of paths to move left as Resilience shifted over a number of paths immediately upon straightening. Where as with going left handed he had maybe half a path initially to move right vs a horse he should know will be moving in. Anyway, that's my thought is right handed and then I suspect they both would've moved left repeatedly but with far less contact overall. It's a rodeo kind of race, I would rather let it be but I can see where other people are coming from who want more intervention.
My take on how this should have been handled. The same way Professional Sports is officiated today. We saw Sierra Leone lug in just about every time in the stretch of his races. You pull the connections up before the race and tell them if your horse lugs in and bothers other horses in the stretch your coming down. It's not up to other runners to account for their competition not being able to run in a straight line. You let Sierra Leone's connections know you're looking for it before the race and their jock has to account for it during the race. The jocks probably only choice is to run him on the rail in the stretch to have a chance to win. NFL and MLB have directives like this to teams before games. We noticed your doing _ and it's outside the rules. We're looking for it and it will be dealt with. Racing is still living in the 1950's.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2024, 02:48 PM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
My take on how this should have been handled. The same way Professional Sports is officiated today. We saw Sierra Leone lug in just about every time in the stretch of his races. You pull the connections up before the race and tell them if your horse lugs in and bothers other horses in the stretch your coming down. It's not up to other runners to account for their competition not being able to run in a straight line. You let Sierra Leone's connections know you're looking for it before the race and their jock has to account for it during the race. The jocks probably only choice is to run him on the rail in the stretch to have a chance to win. NFL and MLB have directives like this to teams before games. We noticed your doing _ and it's outside the rules. We're looking for it and it will be dealt with. Racing is still living in the 1950's.
Something like would require the stewards to know the tendencies of every horse. We are lucky they show up and don't screw up even more races.

What needs to be debated is whether we want NBA style racing where more race riding and physicality is allowed in the playoffs/Derby or whether we want every race to be ruled exactly the same.

This is the problem.

In a 20 horse field there's going to be a lot of bumping, checking and drifting at the start and during the race, especially because the money is huge and everyone is going to going all out for position and the win. The ride on the winner caused some bumping and was pretty dangerous also.

If they call everything, there are going to be a lot more jockey/owner objections raised than in the typical 5-8 horse field.

Do we want 3 blind mice making all these extra subjective decisions or do want to accept some more physicality and race riding in the Derby and then have to deal with a case like this where it looks like an easy decision to DQ?

I'm not sure. I just want them to be consistent.