Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #76
Valuist

Here's a few of my pet peeves:

1. The guy who yells "stop the race" after a quarter mile.
2. The guy who is yelling the jocks name all during the race "cmon Paco, cmon Paco, go Paco" then when the horse gets beat he starts bitching what a $hit rider Paco is. If you think the rider is THAT important, why would you bet on a guy you think sucks? Funny how you never hear anyone yell the trainers name during the running of the race.
3. This goes for TV commentators, most specifically some at HRTV: the use of the words "lovely", "pretty" or "gorgeous" to describe a female racehorse. Excuse me but this is a game about explosive power. Even the good female horses are macho. Leave that prissy talk at home.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #77
BlueShoe

Many of these guys are more amusing than annoying. At my usual otb there is a man whose nickname is "Shriek and Howl" followed by his name. He has so many quirks that to tell them all would require one very long post or several short ones. For years, many of us have thought that when he arrives on the scene the facility should start charging everyone an extra entertainment fee. Just for starters, he will literally get down on his knees in front of the tv monitor as the horses come down the stretch and implore his horses to make his exotic. He is a finger snapper supreme. He often will scream his horses numbers in Spanish, even though he is not Hispanic. At other times he likes to shriek little rymes such as "one two buckle my shoe", "seven eight looking great", "sixty four shut the door", etc. That is just part of his usual routine, he has more little things that he does.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #78
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Here's a few of my pet peeves:

1. The guy who yells "stop the race" after a quarter mile.
2. The guy who is yelling the jocks name all during the race "cmon Paco, cmon Paco, go Paco" then when the horse gets beat he starts bitching what a $hit rider Paco is. If you think the rider is THAT important, why would you bet on a guy you think sucks? Funny how you never hear anyone yell the trainers name during the running of the race.
3. This goes for TV commentators, most specifically some at HRTV: the use of the words "lovely", "pretty" or "gorgeous" to describe a female racehorse. Excuse me but this is a game about explosive power. Even the good female horses are macho. Leave that prissy talk at home.
I totally hear you about #1. And, what's even more annoying than the guy 'stopping the race' after a quarter mile is when he does it with a horse you know has no chance. It always seems that people do this on no-hopers who sprint out to the early lead. People don't usually say stop the race for a 3-5 shot who's on the lead.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #79
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

The thing about "Stop the race" is if they really did stop the race, it would be declared "no contest". If I'm going to yell "Stop the race", it's when my horse is last - and fading fast. I mentioned this once to one of these guys. He took it with good humor.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #80
andicap

"NO WAY ANYONE COULD HAVE THAT HORSE!!!!"

Entertaining thread.

Oh, the screamers are the worst There was a guy at the Yonkers simulcast about 20 years ago who started yelling, at the top of his lungs, after a $36 horse came in (that I happened to have.) "I DEFY ANYONE TO TELL ME HOW THEY HAD THAT HORSE!!!" he repeated that over and over for about five minutes with the corollary, "NO WAY ANYONE COULD HAVE HAD THAT HORSE!!!""

I actually thought of going up to him to point out that the horse's 3rd race back put him on top -- but he had five inches and 50 pounds on me.

At the Champs bar/cafe at Aqueduct there was a really obnoxious program snapper back in the mid '90s. Every single race. Really, really loudly. WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! he would smack that Post Parade program across his hand so hard (and loud -- you couldn't hear the call) I had to admire how sturdily the program was stapled together!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #81
mistergee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan
Go to urbandictionary.com...its the biggest curse a Jamaican can utter.
i was at gulfstream yesterday and literally heard the phrase 1 million times, at this point I wish they were dropping the F Bomb
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #82
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergee
i was at gulfstream yesterday and literally heard the phrase 1 million times, at this point I wish they were dropping the F Bomb
Which would be no worse. You've not felt scorn until a Jamaican, in his rusted out van, is screaming this at you, (myself being female), on the Cross Island Parkway after leaving Belmont Park, when HIS common, nasty self is in the wrong lane. Not me, I knew exactly where I was going.
Kept gettin' it . . . and hated it for him.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #83
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Been a while since I was at the track. I don't yell at the top of my lungs anymore, but I do tend to moan out a "Stop The Race" rather early, because it usually means I'm going to lose, as one of the two will likely put the other away and the other will fade back & out, at least how I usually pick them and they both go out in frount.

I love the idiots that scream at the top of their lungs at the simulcast TVs, since no way the horses or riders will ever hear them. I also love the idiots who scream their lungs out at the TVs during the live racing, when they are only 10-15 feet away from the doors and could actually yell and be heard by the horses and riders.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #84
Cardus
Veteran

I just thought of a phrase that is annoying: "Santa Anita's handle is down compared to last year."
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #85
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I just thought of a phrase that is annoying: "Santa Anita's handle is down compared to last year."
Good one!!!
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #86
eastie
Double Secret Probation

all of it is priceless to me. i love them all. the whippers, screamers, and nut jobs. there used to be a guy at Rockingham, who looked like a cross between Burt Young (drunk and unshaven) and Sam Kinison. He would roll the program and scream this ungodly noise for the entire last race. people would watch in amazement when they saw who/what was making the racket. Then you couldn't control the laughter...it was creeepy, but awesome at the same time. when something gets dropped, i love how everyone yells HEY! really loud at the same time. The thing I do that annoys others is when the numbers are flashing during an objection or Inquiry, as the people stop paying attention, i will yell ooo, and everyone's head will look up at the board at the same time and see the numbers still flashing, then look over and mumble something like rackafrassa.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #87
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Best sound I ever heard at the race track..........

Keeneland had just installed the Trackus system. A couple days into it I was in the simulcast area upstairs with some PA friends and a race went off where Barclay Tagg had this huge fav. Everybody else is over 20=1 and down the stretch Tagg's horse is loping along with a nice lead when a 45=1 shot starts making up ground right on the rail. The longshot slowly makes up ground and they hit the wire together. In the last flash Trackus shows Tagg's horse on top. The photo sign goes up and after a long review they post the Longshot as the winner......... The sound about blew the windows out. I think everybody in the place must have had money on the fav and the collective moan was incredible.

Players all over the place started screaming about "a fix, The Trackus is right!, How can they do this? " Trackus stopped working for the rest of the day and when it came back the next day it it was cut off at the 1/8th pole in every race.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #88
toussaud

I admit I can be a screamer depending on how much money is on the line. I don't try to it just happens lol. I am a "leaner". Like my leaning is going to really push the horse over the top, but I do it in close races. I did it in the third at fair grounds today I had the 5 and you could tell he was getting tired and I was leaning in to get him home.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #89
BMustang

Angry

Rebreak! Rebreak!

When horses have been passed in the stretch.

Our resident loser at River Downs who bets every race in North America, has a litany of them: Drive, Drive!!!
Work It! Work It! Ride Him Out! Ride Him Out!!!

But the most satisfying sound of all is that at the end of the dissertation, there is a long sigh - Aahhhhh! - as his nag fades yet once again. This guy has no knowledge of pace and doesn't know when his horse doesn't have a chance. Starts yelling at the top of the stretch and invariably makes a major move towads last. He can stop the Bullet Train and gets abuse from anyone who shares his selection.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #90
Stillriledup
Veteran

How about the guys who yell "kick in with the juice" or "drugs, drugs!" when a supertrainer's horse is pulling away in the lane!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply