Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #601
iceknight

I attended a meeting by PETA recently. I realized one thing, PETA does not need to do any of what they have been doing.....
if more humans treated animals better and did not think they were mere objects for human use, entertainment and worse, in some cases sadistic treatment.

As for horse racing, when the combination of breeding unsound horses and casual euthanasia (especially if there is no stud value) happening as normal business practice goes away, then and then only the industry can complain about others that euthanize hurt pet animals which cannot be sheltered/paid for/taken care of anymore.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #602
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
A month away from derby, 2 big derby preps tomorrow in the nations biggest markets, national coverage for both, if this story doesnt gain legs soon it will be business as usual till this sport buries itself.

Just my opinion but this story has died somewhat and I don't see it gaining legs in the next month. The video was not bad as some people are making it out to be. Only the buzzer and Blasi cussing about an owner was the only bad thing in the video. Everything else was legal and within the rules of horse racing. And if you don't think that Zayat knew about the horses foot then I have some beach property to sell you in Arizona.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #603
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
Just my opinion but this story has died somewhat and I don't see it gaining legs in the next month. The video was not bad as some people are making it out to be. Only the buzzer and Blasi cussing about an owner was the only bad thing in the video. Everything else was legal and within the rules of horse racing. And if you don't think that Zayat knew about the horses foot then I have some beach property to sell you in Arizona.
I suspect there will be more released and pretty soon.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #604
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I suspect there will be more released and pretty soon.
Count on it. He's just warming up

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/sp...sers.html?_r=0
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #605
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The video was his "Derby prep."
Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #606
Delawaretrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
6 times mores likely to break down on dirt? Synthetic has .122% breakdown rate dirt has .209%. That's for 2009-2013. Turf is in the middle. Where does this guy get his numbers?

For anyone watching this debate, you will see that trainers with turf horses (lopresti with wise dan or graham motion) will be against the change as some turf horses can also run well on synthetic. On average others will be happy with the change because horses get other injuries on synthetic that aren't catostrophic but may be career ending. My farrier had to start stocking shoes with toe clips to stabilize shoes for synthetic. I think it's cool to have synthetic tracks in case you have a cheaper turf horse, gives you another option
Delawaretrainer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #607
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaretrainer
6 times mores likely to break down on dirt? Synthetic has .122% breakdown rate dirt has .209%. That's for 2009-2013. Turf is in the middle. Where does this guy get his numbers?

For anyone watching this debate, you will see that trainers with turf horses (lopresti with wise dan or graham motion) will be against the change as some turf horses can also run well on synthetic. On average others will be happy with the change because horses get other injuries on synthetic that aren't catostrophic but may be career ending. My farrier had to start stocking shoes with toe clips to stabilize shoes for synthetic. I think it's cool to have synthetic tracks in case you have a cheaper turf horse, gives you another option
He's never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #608
MONEY

"When the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission earlier this month cleared Asmussen and his assistant Scott Blasi of all charges brought by PETA, the Kentucky regulatory body said the online video it was provided by PETA lasted only 22 minutes and 17 seconds. In expressing frustration with how PETA handled itself, the KHRC determined that the video had been highly edited. PETA had suggested the video showed equine abuse at the Asmussen stable in 2013 at Churchill Downs."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ted?source=rss
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #609
chadk66

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to anybody.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #610
Grits

Blasi's trainer's license has been reinstated in Kentucky.
How nice of her to text him the day before she unloaded...

Quote:
Blasi, 41, also said he'll take more care about who he hires in the future. Blasi had a personal relationship with Rosen, who sent him a text message one day before the video was posted on the New York Times website saying, "You're a good person." Blasi said he has not communicated with Rosen since that day.
Too, KHRC received edited video of only 22 minutes. The NYSGC received seven hours of video. Big difference. Maybe this is the reason a statement hasn't come forth in NY quite yet.

Quote:
The New York State Gaming Commission said it has concluded its investigation of PETA allegations against the Asmussen stable, although those findings have not yet been released. PETA provided the New York regulator with much more video, more than seven hours, than it turned over to the KHRC.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply