Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #151
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport View Post
You are naïve if you think there has not been hundreds or maybe thousands of newbies over the years that discovered TVG, dropped a couple of deposits into their accounts and went belly up after all they were told was to bet on caveman Pick 4 and Pick 5 tickets and Jackpot bets. Same goes for several of the amateurs calling themselves "experts" that the industry has embraced on Twitter handing out ridiculous Pick 4 and Pick 5 plays five or six times a day. These newbies are chewed up and spit out, they never learn the proper way to wager. This is what ITP is basically so vocal about. But yeah, let's shoot the messenger because he is so "mean" and does not sugar coat things.
And how is this different from 50 years ago and the touts handing out their sheets at the track?

There are ALWAYS going to be touts. And the vast majority of them are going to leave you broke if you follow them blindly.

This is the way.

What are you going to do? Ban touts? Maybe twitter can get right on that...
Old 05-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #152
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And how is this different from 50 years ago and the touts handing out their sheets at the track?

There are ALWAYS going to be touts. And the vast majority of them are going to leave you broke if you follow them blindly.

This is the way.

What are you going to do? Ban touts? Maybe twitter can get right on that...
How is it different from 50 years ago?

Have you heard of the internet? Social media? Streaming services? Youtube? People have easier access to a million times more bad information than 50 years ago.

The Off Topic section here alone is a great example.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #153
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
How is it different from 50 years ago?

Have you heard of the internet? Social media? Streaming services? Youtube? People have easier access to a million times more bad information than 50 years ago.

The Off Topic section here alone is a great example.
Why are you bringing off-topic into the horse racing section? Odd...they are separate for a reason.

As for there being MORE...so what? You think racing fans 50 years ago didn't use touts? They didn't buy all those mail order systems because there was no internet? They didn't buy the tout sheets sold at the track because there was no internet?

Your reply doesn't make sense on multiple levels.

No, there was no internet. Instead of the internet, people read the DRF. In the DRF, there used to be LOTS of ads for systems, touts, etc.

Nothing has really changed. Now, this is a problem you can pontificate on...the lack of change.

But to think it's somehow different today than 50+ years ago...that I am not buying.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #154
turfnsport

Quote:
Why are you bringing off-topic into the horse racing section? Odd...they are separate for a reason.

As for there being MORE...so what? You think racing fans 50 years ago didn't use touts? They didn't buy all those mail order systems because there was no internet? They didn't buy the tout sheets sold at the track because there was no internet?

Your reply doesn't make sense on multiple levels.

No, there was no internet. Instead of the internet, people read the DRF. In the DRF, there used to be LOTS of ads for systems, touts, etc.

Nothing has really changed. Now, this is a problem you can pontificate on...the lack of change.

But to think it's somehow different today than 50+ years ago...that I am not buying.
You are comparing "mail order systems" 50 years ago and "tout sheets" to having millions of people having access to TVG & FS2 & RTN in their homes and you say my reply makes no sense?

You are kidding right?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #155
thaskalos

Quote:
You are comparing "mail order systems" 50 years ago and "tout sheets" to having millions of people having access to TVG & FS2 & RTN in their homes and you say my reply makes no sense?

You are kidding right?
I wonder...are YOU kidding with your show of "sympathy" for the morons out there who bet real money on the selections of a TV tout? Isn't your sympathy better served somewhere else?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #156
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

You are kidding right?
The fan base was also radically larger 50+ years ago...so yeah...I am comparing.

More access to touts today vs. a much smaller fanbase vs. much larger fanbase vs. less access to touts.

Maybe it's a wash.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #157
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I wonder...are YOU kidding with your show of "sympathy" for the morons out there who bet real money on the selections of a TV tout? Isn't your sympathy better served somewhere else?
"Sympathy for the morons?"

I would call it concern for the industry who is losing customers by the boatload.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #158
ubercapper

Quote:
The fan base was also radically larger 50+ years ago...so yeah...I am comparing.

More access to touts today vs. a much smaller fanbase vs. much larger fanbase vs. less access to touts.

Maybe it's a wash.
To add to what PA wrote, maybe the majority of people getting their handicapping tips on TV, via YouTube and in writing on websites aren't actually betting those tips verbatim.

Maybe they are listening to the handicappers who give their reasoning and using that information toss a bad favorite or add long shot they may not have considered.

In that case its even more of a wash, because a tiny minority may be betting exactly on what the analyst recommends, but the rest are either getting value from the analysis (adding bullets to their handicapping holster) and/or getting value from just one part of the selections (the horse they might have missed something about or the favorite they should toss).

This is exactly why I strongly believe if you don't like an on-air analyst's ticket, ignore it and move on.

As Serling put it, there are different ways to win. I'll add there are different appeals for different segments of fans. If someone disagrees with that, that's fine. There's no need for spending all this time on demeaning well meaning people who are causing no harm, and to reiterate what no harm means, it means they aren't killing the game or throwing its customers off a cliff. Those statements aren't just hyperbole. They are purely speculative as is "the industry is losing customers by the boatload."

Last edited by ubercapper; 05-10-2021 at 04:13 PM.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #159
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Also, I would like to add...there are mediums which exist today that did not exist all that long ago.

Mediums all these supposed "competent, winning, COMPASSIONATE, looking to help the needy" players can utilize to get their WINNING MESSAGE out there.

YouTube...twitch...heck even a simple website...all can be had for next to nothing or free (you will need to buy a camera if you want your mug on stream/video...and in the case of a website, hosting fees).

I suggest all these people complaining about how bad the current state of fan education is...get out there and help your fellow player.

It can be done...easily.

Show the rest how it is supposed to be done.

Be a hero.

Save the world.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #160
thaskalos

Quote:
"Sympathy for the morons?"

I would call it concern for the industry who is losing customers by the boatload.
"Concern for the industry"...when the industry itself is doing NOTHING to prevent these "boatloads of customers" from fleeing the game?

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-10-2021 at 04:13 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #161
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Back in the 70's and 80's, page 1 of the PPs on Saturday was always the cover page for whichever NYRA track was running, and the bottom half of the page was always the latest and greatest new stuff for sale! First thing I turned to.

Heck, I paid $25 to go to a seminar to get a cup of coffee and a donut along with 9 winners for the day.

You want to make money at TVG, when they show a hosts' P4 or P5 ticket n screen, count that as the scratches and then make your own bets.

Last edited by Tom; 05-10-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #162
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Back in the 70's and 80's, page 1 of the PPs on Saturday was always the cover page for whichever NYRA track was running, and the bottom half of the page was always the latest and greatest new stuff for sale! First thing I turned to.

Heck, I paid $25 to go to a seminar to get a cup of coffee and a donut along with 9 winners for the day.

At Hollywood Park and Santa Anita in the 70's and 80's, my father would religiously purchase the Baedeker and Bob's cards. They were actually cards because they were printed on card 8 x 11 card stock. At the most they contained three contenders a race and some numbers for playing the exacta and double. No analysis, no fair odds, no optimal betting. Those were the good old days.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #163
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Concern for the industry"...when the industry itself is doing NOTHING to prevent these "boatloads of customers" from fleeing the game?
They are not doing NOTHING. They seem to be speeding up the process.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #164
thaskalos

Quote:
They are not doing NOTHING. They seem to be speeding up the process.

Okay...
Old 05-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #165
Nitro

Quote:
Also, I would like to add...there are mediums which exist today that did not exist all that long ago.

Mediums all these supposed "competent, winning, COMPASSIONATE, looking to help the needy" players can utilize to get their WINNING MESSAGE out there.

YouTube...twitch...heck even a simple website...all can be had for next to nothing or free (you will need to buy a camera if you want your mug on stream/video...and in the case of a website, hosting fees).

I suggest all these people complaining about how bad the current state of fan education is...get out there and help your fellow player.

It can be done...easily.

Show the rest how it is supposed to be done.

Be a hero.

Save the world.
Now there's one for the books!
When 95% of the so-called "educated" players are already losers, they're supposed help others!
(Yeah go to the poor house!)
It's the blind leading the blind!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply