Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
beertapper

Who bought an ipad ?

Did any of you get one? I tried one out, and think it would be quite handy for browsing PPs.....
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have one.....put my PP's into PDF format and walk around the house playing if I am busy. The Jcapper report is done the same way. Actually I rarely use PP's but I do have them. The Jcapper report fits nicely on the screen......scrolling PP's and Jcapper Report via touch interface is kind of nice ........

The only problem I have with it..........there is a bug in the wireless firmware that asks for the network password every once in a while......it only happens on certain routers (dual band) but it can be a pain in the ass. Apple says a firmware/patch update is coming.........

2nd problem. No multitasking. You have to open your programs one at a time. So I am checking out the odds board then have to close it and re-open the jcapper report and then go back to place bets. It is fast, so speed is not the problem and I have been able to basically log in to the adw fast .....it is kind of a pain in the ass............but OS 4 is coming soon per apple and multi-tasking is part of the automatic upgrade. We shall see.............
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

since you're dealing with PDFs...and I assume you can have tabs in the IPad browser....I wonder if you can use something like Google Docs, where you can upload pdfs and open them in the in browser PDF reader. Then everything could live in the browser....and you could just switch between tabs for ADW/PPs PDF/JCapper PDF.

as a workaround...might not be too bad
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
since you're dealing with PDFs...and I assume you can have tabs in the IPad browser....I wonder if you can use something like Google Docs, where you can upload pdfs and open them in the in browser PDF reader. Then everything could live in the browser....and you could just switch between tabs for ADW/PPs PDF/JCapper PDF.

as a workaround...might not be too bad
I have read that some are doing this........I just downloaded a new browser that is really nice...... I will check it out.....thanks for the tip. I have actually been able to do this with a small app that is available. But the app is kind of buggy.

The New Iphone looks very intriguing. The 720p video is interesting. I can edit video on my Palm Pre now........and upload it straight-away.....but not at 720p. Remember, you can stream and broadcast directly from your Cell phone nowadays. This would mean you can basically act like an on scene reporter at 720p.........very interesting........stuff.........

[YT="New Iphone"]qh8yhMuOAw4[/YT]

Last edited by JustRalph; 06-07-2010 at 10:44 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Check out FaceTime from Apple

This is a very good advertisement. Check out the sign language at the end

[YT="FaceTime"]a5cgiFttbsQ[/YT]
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I have read that some are doing this........I just downloaded a new browser that is really nice...... I will check it out.....thanks for the tip. I have actually been able to do this with a small app that is available. But the app is kind of buggy.

The New Iphone looks very intriguing. The 720p video is interesting. I can edit video on my Palm Pre now........and upload it straight-away.....but not at 720p. Remember, you can stream and broadcast directly from your Cell phone nowadays. This would mean you can basically act like an on scene reporter at 720p.........very interesting........stuff.........

[YT="New Iphone"]qh8yhMuOAw4[/YT]
I don't know how their contract reads with ATT but they would be a lot more successful if they would open it up to all carriers.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
xfile
Veteran

I'm seriously thinking about it. I need a new toy.
xfile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
xfile
Veteran

Quote:
.........but OS 4 is coming soon per apple and multi-tasking is part of the automatic upgrade. We shall see.............
I would definitely want to wait for this...
xfile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
serp

I have been holding off to see what the android and/or chrome based tablets will look like. If I don't like what I see I'll end up with an iPad.
serp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
JustRalph
Just another Facist

13 new Android based pads were introduced last week in a show in Japan

All reviews so far..............** two stars no threat to the IPAD
Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
bigmack

Gather 'round as I have a message. A message of great import for any of you Appleites. I say to you today - FREE YOURSELVES!

Do not live under the tyranny of Apple for another week, another day, ANOTHER MINUTE!

I want you to go to your computers. I want you to unlock the chains around you and your device. Go with Blackra1n to unlock your IPhone.

Go with Spirit to unlock your IPad.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...k_the_ipad.php

Once you have Cydia, you will be free.

I've turned more people on to this than I can count. If you no likey, simply reset and you go back to boring Apple settings. Everyone was reluctant at first. Everyone was jazzed after unlocking.

Now go and do likewise gents. BE FREE!
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I am not a appleite or an Apple Fan Boy. This ipad is the first apple product I have ever purchased.

that new phone is looking pretty hot though...........

thanks for the link Mack..........
Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

the new iphone is a very slick looking device, build quality and screen look amazing. I'd say that and the HTC EVO are the two hottest phones out and about. The argument for the EVO would be 4G network if its out where you live, the wifi hotspot feature which is pretty bitchin (especially for say wifi only ipad owners), and the monster screen. Only real downside seems to be the battery is a bit shortlived.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...s-the-country/
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The carriers on the 4G phones with Hotspot are now saying you will have to pay extra to use the hotspot........
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
I am not a appleite or an Apple Fan Boy. This ipad is the first apple product I have ever purchased.

that new phone is looking pretty hot though...........

thanks for the link Mack..........
I'm the same as you Ralph. I love the iPad and have used it for many different things. It's the size of the thing that is so convenient. All my music is on it. I can store many pictures I've taken. When I work on my Latin, I have a very good dictionary app, so no more lugging around extra books, and best of all, it's perfect at the track (well at least when there's not thousands of people in the immediate area using their cellular devices at the same time). Went on a trip and it served as the map as well as was able to buy baseball tickets and make a hotel reservation on the fly. Never owned another Apple product and other than future upgrades for this thing, probably never will. It just perfectly fits a niche for me.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply